Supporting Education in Practice
- Module code
This module will enable you to consider and critically evaluate links between theory and practice, and to explore strategies relevant for the facilitation and assessment of learning within the work place.
On successful completion of the module, you will be able to:
- Critically examine and evaluate the methods of facilitating learning within work-based settings while analysing the nature of practice education and the perceived demands of inter/multi-professional practice.
- Critically explore and reflect on theories of learning, teaching, assessment and accountability relevant to practice, in order to critically evaluate evidence based strategies to assist with the integration of theory and practice.
- Analyse and implement educational standards through effective use of communication and leadership skills in order to create an optimum learning experience.
Indicative module content includes:
- Standards for education and practice
- Recontexualising Learning
- Exploring the quality of the learning environment
- Applying learning theories and domains
- Theories of coaching and practice development
- Applying technology to enhance learning
- Emotional intelligence
- Supporting the struggling learner
- Critical evaluation of learning and teaching strategies
- Constructive realignment theories
- Socio-politico landscape of education in practice
- Dynamic direction of education in healthcare.
Learning and teaching methods
Usual learning and teaching methods include:
- Teacher-led sessions
- Case studies
- Discussion groups
- Experiential workshops
- Small group work and large group discussions
- Role modelling
- Active learning methods, such as problem-based learning, enquiry-based learning and action learning
- Blended learning
Emphasis will be placed upon work-based/practice based learning and teaching, with opportunities for you to explore and share your views and experiences with regard to the facilitation of learning and evidence-based practice within your working environment.
This module will be assessed through the completion of an academic essay.
Take a look at the module reading list.
- Ability to study at level 7
- Professional registration as a healthcare professional:
- Nursing and Midwifery Council (NMC)
- Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC)
- Working in health and social care.
Fees and funding
Fees for 2021/22 are to be confirmed
How to apply
Please download and fill in an application form.
It is important to ensure that you complete all sections and answer all questions, incomplete forms will cause a delay and may result in you missing out on an available place.
Send your completed application back to us at the address or email included on the form.
Terms and conditions
When you accept an offer of a place at the University of Surrey, you are agreeing to comply with our policies and regulations and our terms and conditions. You are also confirming you have read and understood the University's prospective student privacy notice.
If your sponsoring healthcare provider is funding you for this module, by submitting an application you agree to allow all information regarding your module (for example your exam results) to be shared with the sponsoring provider.
If you withdraw less than seven days before the module commences or do not attend on the first day (without informing the module administrator) the full cost of the module will be charged. Withdrawals after the module commences will also be charged.
Places are confirmed approximately one month before the module start date. Please note that modules may be subject to teaching availability, student demand and/or class size caps.
Modules listed are indicative, reflecting the information available at the time of publication. The University of Surrey has used its reasonable efforts to ensure that the information is accurate at the time of publishing, but changes (for example to module content) may occur given the interval between publishing and commencement of the module. It is therefore very important to check this website for any updates before you apply for a module with us. Read more.