Equality and diversity
We are a member of the Institute of Physics' equality and diversity initiative, Project Juno, which rewards physics departments for addressing and improving gender equality in physics.
Project Juno promotes best practices for equality and diversity within UK physics departments through five principles:
- A robust organisation framework to deliver equality of opportunity and reward
- Appointment and selection processes and procedures that encourage all to apply for positions at all levels
- Departmental structures and systems which support and encourage the progression or promotion of all and enable them to progress and continue in their careers
- Departmental organisation, structure, management arrangements and culture that are open, inclusive and transparent and encourage the participation of all within the department
- Flexible approaches and provisions that enable individuals, at all career and life stages, to optimize their contribution to their department, institution and to science, technology, engineering and mathematics.
We are currently a Juno practitioner and have completed the following key actions:
- Creation of physics researcher programme, allowing researchers to raise concerns, issues or questions with colleagues
- Collection of quantitative diversity information
- Collection of qualitative survey information
- Regular departmental awareness and reporting.
We are working towards becoming a Juno champion by doing the following:
- Assessing changes to applicant and open days to emphasize diversity and monitor feedback
- Continuing to develop quantitative and qualitative data acquisition, as well as define ownership for obtaining and analysing information
- Developing unconscious bias training, extending out to all staff and potentially students
- Reviewing existing policies and guidelines
- Working with the University, and Faculty to develop work allocation model.
Equality and diversity at Surrey
The University of Surrey recognises the wealth of benefits to be gained from a diverse national and international University community in which every individual contribution is valued.