12 noon - 1pm
Wednesday 21 April 2021
Digital Disruption Series: Takeaway without Throwaway: Disrupting plastic packaging with reuse schemes
Join us at the next Digital Disruptor Webinar as we discuss the state of re-use schemes as one solution to avoid single use packaging.
This event has passed
The webinar discussion points will include:
- How big is the trend to reuse packaging?
- Where are we now with regards to the goal of reducing/avoiding plastic packaging? Has the pandemic slowed it down?
- Do you think it will recover or even be stronger afterwards due to a stronger environmental awareness?
- What are the main benefits of reusing packaging, obviously for the environment for consumer, for companies?
- What are the most promising re-use schemes?
- What are the barriers of e.g. restaurants to adopt re-use schemes?
- What are the barriers on the consumer side? How do providers try to overcome these barriers, how can these schemes signal safety?
- How is the packaging world going to look like in 10 years?
Professor Sabine Benoit will be joined by Annette Lendal, Senior Research Analyst at the Ellen MacArthur Foundation and Jo Liang, Co- Founder of Cauli-Box.
Josephine Liang is a food sustainability campaigner and Co-Founder of CauliBox, London's first reusable lunchtime scheme . She has worked with corporations (including Unilever & Sainsbury’s), local authorities (Camden council) and higher educational institutes (London School of Economics) as well as numerous food enterprises such as Costa, Gail’s Bakery, Ole and Steen, Too Good To Go and OLIO in cutting food waste and advising on sustainable development. Josephine was awarded a special “Women in Food” award by the Mayor of London in 2019 and featured on Al Jazeera as "London's Food Waste Hero."
Annette is an expert on upstream innovation and circular economy packaging solutions at the Ellen MacArthur Foundation. She is the co-author of the Reuse Book (2019) and the Upstream Innovation Guide to Packaging Solutions (2020) and is responsible for developing and executing innovation workshops and design sprints with the network.
Professor Sabine Benoit
In February 2016, Professor Sabine Benoit (nee Moeller) joined the University of Surrey as a Professor of Marketing. She is a member of the Department of Retail and Marketing at Surrey Business School. Her main research fields are Service- and Retail-Marketing. Her work has been published in leading international Journals e.g. the Journal of Service Research, Journal of Operations Management and Psychology & Marketing. She is on the Editorial Board of Journal of Service Research (JSR), Journal of Service Management (JoSM), Journal of Services Marketing (JSM), Journal of Service Theory and Practice (JSTP) and Journal of Business Research (JBR). From JoSM she received the best reviewer award in 2013. She has taught and teaches courses in Marketing, Services & Retail Marketing and Research Methods on Bachelor, Master, MBA and Ph.D. Level.