Find out what you could do with a degree in economics and discover some of the jobs Surrey economics graduates have secured over the past few years.
Economic decisions are at the heart of every society, shaping the future of individuals, organisations, regions and nations. This hints at the variety of careers available to economists and the range of skills you can expect to develop by studying one of our programmes.
Graduates from our programmes are highly successful in securing quality jobs. The ‘problemsolving’ nature of the subjects, the topical and applied focus of our programmes and the experience gained on your Professional Training placement greatly appeal to employers.
Since I was sixteen I have wanted to study economics. The appeal of a subject that seeks to explain the behaviour of the world around us was inescapable. The ‘invisible hand’ of economics is all pervasive and opens doors to a host of opportunities when entering employment - Dominic Spanos, BSc Economics
Careers with an economics degree
Most of our graduates proceed directly to employment in an engineering profession.
In recent years, our graduates have secured roles including:
- Management Information Systems Analyst, City Bank (2015 graduate)
- Risk Analyst, Barclays (2015 graduate)
- Cost Accountant, Fujitsu (2015 graduate)
- Project Manager, Lloyds Banking Group (2015 graduate)
- Econometrician, Sky (2015 graduate)
Economics is important to me because it is integral to the day to day operations of a country, from large scale government policies to individual decision making. It can be used as a tool for change both domestically and internationally. - Thomas Speed, BSc Economics
- Supply Analyst, Sainsbury’s (2014 graduate)
- Assistant Economist, Department for Transport (2014 graduate)
- Operations Control Analyst, Royal London Asset Management (2014 graduate)
- Data Visualisation Executive, iProspect (2014 graduate)
- IBM Strategic Outsourcing, IBM (2014 graduate)