Saving patients' lives with mathematics
Using an ECG signal to detect sepsis in patients.
- Academic: Dr Philip Aston
- Partner: King's College London and Data Sciences International
Developing an international finance compliance regulator.
- Academic: Dr Bogdan Vrusias
- Partner: Technotomy Ltd
Hyperuniform disordered materials
Flexible plaftorms for photonic integrated circuits.
- Academic: Dr Marian Florescu
- Partner: Etaphase Inc. (USA)
Detecting drugs from a fingerprint
Detection of drugs in fingerprints.
- Academic: Dr Mel Bailey
Water versus cement
Measurement standards for NMR characterisation of cement.
- Academic: Prof Peter McDonald
- Partner: National Physical Laboratory (NPL)
The economics of biorefining - a collaborative approach
Multiscale modelling within business and environmental environments.
Bioresource knowledge and data system targeted for downstream conversions (BioTARG).
Value chain analysis platform for biorefining processes.
- Academic: Dr Franjo Cecelja, Dr Madeleine Bussemaker, Professor Richard Murphy, Dr Jhuma Sadhukhan
- Partner: BioSep Ltd
Routes to market for trustworthy voting systems.
- Academic: Professor Steve Schneider
- Partner: Victorian Electoral Commission (Australia)
Mining the deep web for business
InfoClew - building time-dependent information networks from the deep web.
- Academic: Dr Bogdan Vrusias
- Partner: Technotomy
Understanding NHS cancer data
iMalthus - extending the Malthus cancer treatment demand model.
- Academic: Professor Normal Kirkby
- Partner: Cambridge University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust and National Cancer Action Team
Optimising training time for eye surgeons
MASTERS (Minimal Access Surgery Training, Evaluation and Reporting Software).
- Academic: Dr Lilian Tang
- Partner: Moorfields Eye Hospital
Mobilising the elderly
Protocols and test environments for assessment of mobility (walking) in the older person.
- Academics: Professor David Ewins, Dr Khim Horton
- Partner: Blatchford and Sons Ltd (Basingstoke, UK)
Solving the cocktail party problem
Quadio® - improving speech intelligibility using acoustic source separation with audio frequency.
- Academics: Professor Banu Gunel (Associate Professor), Mr Martyn Buxton-Hoare (Director of Technology Transfer)
- Partner: Eluidare Ltd
Towards next generation communications: 5G
Implementation of the FBMC-IOTA system for encoding digital data.
- Academics: Dr Pei Xiao
- Partner: Aeroflex
Warm and algae-free
Enhanced, energy-efficient swimming pool covers.
- Academic: Dr Steve Clowes
- Partner: Plastipack Ltd
Smart Personal Parking Experience (SPPeX).
- Academic: Dr Mehrdad Dianati
- Partner: Accelogress Ltd
Why buildings collapse
Application of theoretical models against progressive collapse of flat-slab concrete structures.
- Academic: Dr Juan Sagaseta
- Partner: ARUP Group Ltd
Helping animals to get well soon
Carbon nanotube based textiles for tissue regeneration in animal patients.
- Academics: Dr Alan Dalton, Dr Izabela Jurewicz, Professor Roberto La Ragione
- Partner: Fitzpatrick Referrals
Big data for animal health
5G for animal monitoring.
- Academics: Professor Klaus Moessner, Professor Alisdair Cook
- Partner: Westpoint Veterinary Group
Eradicating wrinkles with space technology
Plasma system for cosmetic surgery and other medical applications.
- Academic: Dr Aaron Knoll
- Partner: Fourth State Medicine
Low-cost, flexible touchscreens
Inexpensive nanostructured touchscreen electrodes.
- Academic: Dr Alan Dalton
- Partner: M-SOLV
Sounds and pictures
Light tags for augmented paper and packaging.
- Academics: Professor David Frohlich, Dr Radu Sporea, Dr Janko Calic
- Partner: Welsh Centre for Printing and Coating, part of Swansea University
Behind the scenes at the museum
Augmented reality to enhance cultural experiences.
- Academics: Dr Helen Treharne
- Partners: Pervasive Intelligence Ltd, Visit Surrey, The Lightbox and Watts Gallery
Developing a low-cost, highly effective, portable spirometer.
- Academic: Dr David Birch
- Partner: South East Health Technologies Alliance (SEHTA)