USL managed properties
University of Surrey Lettings manages a number of properties in the private sector under the University's head leasing scheme.
This enables students to find good-quality accommodation in the private sector. You will be required to act in a tenant-like manner and still take responsibility for some duties around the house.
There are a few things which make USL-managed accommodation slightly different from renting through other letting agencies:
- We are a not-for-profit service
- It is completely free to students, we do not charge any fees
- Your weekly rent includes gardening, gas, electricity and water rates – see the USL Fair Usage Policy (PDF)
- Contract length is between 51–52 weeks
- You are only responsible for your share of rent, not your housemates
- Rent is paid quarterly
- You do not need a guarantor or tenant-like references
- We do not offer accompanied viewings
- You will not be required to pay a deposit
Applications for 2019/20 USL managed properties open on 12 February 2019. You will be notified on or before 6 March 2019 on whether your application has been successful. We encourage all students to look for properties on Studentpad from 12 March 2019 when landlords are able to start advertising as USL accommodation is limited.
Key dates for the 2019/20 year:
- Applications open: Tuesday 12 February 2019
- Deadline: Midnight on Tuesday 26 February 2019
You must already have your group together as all students in the group must apply for accommodation and name the other students in their group.
How to apply
1. Go to the online application form
2. Complete the following information:
- Application type: University Managed House/Group Application (Can only select campus or USL)
- Group members: all members must apply: University ID + Surname (as written on student ID)
- Select house size (how many bedrooms)
- Special Requirements: if applicable
- Preferences Price Band: select 5 band preferences in order of most to least desirable
- Preferences Area: select 4 Area locations in order of most to least desirable
- Preferred dates: irrelevant for property managed houses
All members must apply with matching criteria in order for group application to be valid.
3. Once applications close, a ballot will be run to determine accommodation allocation (incomplete applications will be excluded from the ballot).
- All applicants will be informed of the outcome of their application shortly after applications close
- You will not be able to choose the property or room and will be given 72 hours to accept your accommodation offer
- You will be required to make a rent prepayment of £250
- You will be required to read and accept our Student Guidance Notes and your Self-Catering Licence Agreement – see an licence agreement example
- Where you decline the offer no alternative accommodation will be offered
- You must abide by the terms of the Residents Guide at all times