USL managed properties
University of Surrey Lettings manages a number of properties in the private sector under the University's head leasing scheme.
This enables students to find good-quality accommodation in the private sector. You will be required to act in a tenant-like manner and still take responsibility for some duties around the house.
There are a few things which make USL-managed accommodation slightly different from renting through other letting agencies:
- We are a not-for-profit service
- It is completely free to students, we do not charge any fees
- Your weekly rent includes gardening, gas, electricity and water rates – see the USL Fair Usage Policy (PDF)
- Contract length is between 51–52 weeks
- You are only responsible for your share of rent, not your housemates
- Rent is paid quarterly
- You do not need a guarantor or tenant-like references
- We do not offer accompanied viewings
- You will not be required to pay a deposit
- You will need to pay a £250 pre-payment if you are offered a room, this will then be deducted from your first rental instalment
Applications for 2020/21 USL managed properties open on 11th February 2020. You will be notified on or before 6 March 2020 on whether your application has been successful. We encourage all students to look for properties on Studentpad from 11th March 2020 when landlords are able to start advertising as USL accommodation is limited.
Key dates for the 2020/21 year:
- Applications open: Tuesday 11 February 2020
- Deadline: Midnight on Tuesday 25 February 2020
You must already have your group together as all students in the group must apply for accommodation and name the other students in their group. If you have more than 6 people in your group please write the group size in the special requirements box, along with the other group members details.
How to apply
1. Go to the online application form
2. Complete the following information:
- Application type: University Managed House/Group Application (Can only select campus or USL)
- Group members: all members must apply: University ID + Surname (as written on student ID)
- Select house size (how many bedrooms)
- Special Requirements: if applicable
- Preferences Price Band: select 5 band preferences in order of most to least desirable
- Preferences Area: select 4 Area locations in order of most to least desirable
- Preferred dates: irrelevant for property managed houses
All members must apply with matching criteria in order for group application to be valid.
3. Once applications close, a ballot will be run to determine accommodation allocation (incomplete applications will be excluded from the ballot).
- All applicants will be informed of the outcome of their application shortly after applications close
- You will not be able to choose the property or room and will be given 72 hours to accept your accommodation offer
- You will be required to make a rent prepayment of £250
- You will be required to read and accept our Student Guidance Notes (docx) and your Self-Catering Licence Agreement – see an licence agreement example (PDF)
- Where you decline the offer no alternative accommodation will be offered
- You must abide by the terms of the Residents Guide (PDF) at all times.