Five reasons to study a course within the School of Hospitality and Tourism Management at Surrey
Subject leaders from the School of Hospitality and Tourism Management reveal what makes our degrees in hospitality, events and tourism different, and the secret behind our graduates’ success.
1. Gain excellent employability skills
Our courses give you the practical skills to get your career off to a flying start post-graduation. Students have the chance to test their knowledge through events and activities, including planning real events. Our Professional Training Placement also means you can gain work experience to compliment your studies before you graduate.
Our graduates have gone on to do amazing things, including:
- Graduate Management Trainee, Hilton Worldwide
- Manager in Training, Four Seasons
- Vita Futura Graduate Management Programme, Marriott International
- Operations Manager, Virgin.
2. Top facilities
The student-run Lakeside Restaurant and Coffee Shop offers you the chance to ‘learn on the job’.
The restaurant offers a modern dining experience, of which our students are an integral part. During your first year, you will gain experience working with our professional team of chefs and front of house team. You will learn about team dynamics and leadership – all important skills in the hospitality and tourism industries.
3. Consistently highly ranked
By studying with us, you will learn from leaders in the sector. We are ranked 1st in the Complete University Guide 2023 for hospitality tourism, transport, travel and heritage management, and are in the top 5 for hospitality, leisure and tourism in the The Times and The Sunday Times Good University Guide 2023. Globally, we are ranked 1st in the UK and 14th worldwide for hospitality and leisure management in the QS World University Subject Rankings 2022.
4. Our global outlook
Highly ranked in global league tables, our international connections enable us to offer a well-rounded learning experience to our students.
We have research and PhD partnerships with:
- College of Tourism and Service Management, Nankai University
- Department of Hotel and Tourism Management, School of Management, Zhejiang University
- School of Tourism Management, Sun Yat-sen University
- University of Queensland
- Hong Kong Polytechnic University.
5. Our values
Environmental and social sustainability is at the heart of our teaching, and we hope to inspire students to share this value, carrying it forward into their own careers. Our commitment to sustainability is found in:
- Our modules, such as ‘Sustainability in Tourism and Transport’ (MAN1109) and ‘Global Citizenship’ (MAN1106) helping you to explore the ethical and environmental side of hospitality and tourism management
- The Lakeside Restaurant’s Sustainability Policy, showing students sustainability in practise.
- Sustainability led research, including work into carbon emissions and sustainable travel. Find out more on our news page.
Find out more about our courses in hospitality, events and tourism management.