Meet the School of Hospitality and Tourism Management
In the School of Hospitality and Tourism Management, we have a long-standing history of offering courses that meet the needs of both industry and society.
We are also:
- 1st in the UK and 2nd in the world for hospitality and tourism management in the Shanghai Global Ranking of Academic Subjects 2022
- 4th in the UK for hospitality, leisure and tourism in The Times and The Sunday Times Good University Guide 2023
- 5th in the UK for hospitality and tourism in the Guardian University Guide 2023
- 1st in the UK and 14th in the world for hospitality and leisure management in the QS World University Rankings by Subject 2022.
Why choose the School of Hospitality and Tourism Management?
By choosing to study with us, you’ll become part of a community of research-active staff and students and will benefit from state-of-the art facilities, expertise from leaders in their respective fields, enhanced employability and opportunities to join societies.
Studying with us
Our School of Hospitality and Tourism Management is a close community of experienced academic staff, postgraduate researchers and students. You’ll get close contact with our alumni who often come back to Surrey to assist with open days, hold guest lectures and offer placement opportunities, sharing their knowledge and experiences.
Our range of postgraduate courses explore topics including air transport, events, hotel and tourism management.
"When you choose a masters course that you enjoy, at an institution that delivers it at an amazing quality, you naturally become motivated, driven and excited to learn." Amr Soliman, MSc Air Transport Management
For students studying on site at our campus, Surrey’s facilities include our Digital Lab, a world-class biometric research laboratory investigating digital experiences and consumer behaviour. The lab is installed with the latest biometric sensor equipment, as used in industry, allowing us to track remote and mobile eye movements, facial expression, galvanic skin response (GSR) and optical heart rate. In the Lab, we experiment with the latest technology applications in tourism, hospitality, and events, including virtual reality and social robots.
As a undergrad hospitality student, you’ll gain practical experience working in our student-run Lakeside Restaurant, allowing you to be an integral part of a modern dining experience.
Tutor support and expertise
Most of our staff have worked in the hospitality, tourism and events industries, including former senior executives, ensuring everything you learn is up-to-date and relevant to the sector.
We offer a wide range of academic specialisms, including:
- Hospitality’s contribution to improving gender equity in sub-Saharan Africa
- The impact of artificial intelligence (AI) and robotics on hospitality
- Bringing the outdoor experience of tourism into care homes, using augmented reality.
At the beginning of your course, you’ll also be assigned a personal tutor, who will provide you with one-to-one academic and pastoral support.
With our long-standing reputation of delivering courses for over 50 years, we’ve built a trustworthy name within the hospitality, tourism and events sectors. Employers recognise the quality of Surrey graduates, having gained industry experience and relationships.
We also have several international research and PhD partnerships:
- College of Tourism and Service Management, Nankai University
- Department of Hotel and Tourism Management, School of Management, Zhejiang University
- Hong Kong Polytechnic University
- School of Tourism Management, Sun Yat-sen University
- University of Queensland.
As well as starting successful careers in industry, many of our students continue their studies and complete a PhD, often going on to academic careers.
As a Surrey student, you’ll become part of our campus-based community, with a large student union, multiple coffee shops and restaurants, and a multi-million pound sports centre, as well as over 130 clubs and societies. You’ll be within a 15-minute walk from the centre of Guildford, offering a vibrant blend of entertainment, culture and history, and only a 34-minute train journey from central London.
As one of our students, you can join the Food and Wine Society, and the Tourism, Hospitality and Events Society, giving you the opportunity to network with likeminded individuals and attend social events, including the student-organised careers fair and end of year ball.
Find out more about our postgraduate courses within the School of Hospitality and Tourism Management.