I teach and do research in the fields of translation, lexicography and assisted writing. I am particularly interested in corpus linguistics applications in these domains. I am Principal Investigator of ColloCaid, where we combine research into user needs, lexical computing and human-computer interaction to develop a text editor that supports writers with real-time collocation suggestions.
I was previously joint project leader of the COMPARA corpus (a 3-million word, open-access, bidirectional corpus of English and Portuguese fiction), Chief Editor of the Oxford Portuguese Dictionary (a corpus-based 70K word bilingual English-Portuguese and Portuguese-English dictionary with thousands of example sentences and translations based on real language usage), and lead researcher in the Supporting the Internationalization of Brazilian Research project (a series of workshops on the use of language and translation technologies to assist Brazilian researchers promote their research internationally, while simultaneously training academic English tutors in Brazil).
Areas of specialism
Second Language Writing;
English Language Teaching (ELT);
English for Academic Purposes (EAP)
University roles and responsibilities
- MA in Translation Programme Leader
This collaboration between the University of Surrey and São Paulo State University (UNESP) and Federal University of Rio Grange do Sul (UFRGS) in Brazil promoted a series of workshops in 2019 aimed at empowering Brazilian researchers and EAP tutors in the development of autonomy in written academic English through state-of-the-art language tools. The workshops were supported by the British Council UK-Brazil collaboration, Sketch Engine, Santander Universities-UNESP and the Language without Borders programme. In the media.
I have collaborated in research projects with:
- Professor Robert Lew, Adam Mickiewicz University, Poland (ColloCaid project, 2017-2020)
- Professor Jonathan Roberts, University of Bangor, Wales (ColloCaid project, 2017-2020)
- Dr Paula Tavares Pinto, São Paulo State University (UNESP), Brazil (Supporting the Internationalization of Brazilian Research, 2018-2019)
- Dr Simone Sarmento and Dr Ana Bocorny, Federal University of Rio Grande do Sul (UFRGS), Brazil (Supporting the Internationalization of Brazilian Research, 2018-2019)
- Dr Diana Santos, University of Oslo, Norway (Linguateca project, 1999-2008)
- Dr Rosa Rabadan, University of Leon, Spain (ACTRES project, 2014-)
Indicators of esteem
Selected keynote/invited presentations
- "Aplicações práticas de corpora de língua portuguesa". Plenary at Português Língua Global conference, Kings College London (15 June 2019)
- "Novas ferramentas lexicográficas: um editor de textos que auxilia no emprego de colocações em textos acadêmicos". Invited seminar at Universidade de São Paulo (USP), Brazil (15 April 2019)
- "ColloCaid: a text editor that helps writers with academic English Collocations". Invited seminar Université Paris Diderot, France (29 March 2019)
- "Integrating lexicographic data with text editors to improve written academic discourse". Plenary at Specialised Discourse and Multimedia: Linguistic features and translation issues, Universita del Salento, Lecce, Italy, 14-16 February 2019
- "Using corpora to compare the discourse of human and machine translation" Plenary at 2nd International Symposium on Parallel Corpora, Universidad Complutense de Madrid, Spain 5-7 November 2018
- "Corpora para ensinar, aprender e traduzir português". Plenary at A Língua Portuguesa: Recursos e Ferramentas na Prática da Tradução, Universita Roma Tre, Italy, 4 May 2018
- "“Machine translation in translator assessment” Invited presentation at European Masters of Translation Network Meeting, European Commission DG Translation, Centre Albert Borschette, Brussels, 19-20 March 2018
- "The use of corpora to become acquainted with specialized terminology and phraseology in the EMT Network" Invited presentation at the Translating Europe Workshop, European Commission DG Translation, Croatian Language Department, Zagreb, Croatia, 7 December 2017
- "Combining learner needs, lexicographic data and digital writing environment" Plenary at II TechLing, University of Bologna, Italy, 10-11 November 2017.
- "The use of corpora in translation research" Plenary at the International Postgraduate Conference in Translation and Interpreting Studies, Heriot-Watt University, Edinburgh, 9-10 November 2017.
- "Corpora for Editors" Invited presentation at the 28th Annual Conference of the Society for Proofreaders and Editors, Bedford, UK, 16-18 September 2017.
- "How can language learners benefit from corpora (or not)". Plenary at Encontro InterNucLis do Programa Idiomas sem Fronteiras (IsF) da Região Sul, Universidade Federal do Rio Grande do Sul, Porto Alegre, Brazil, 21-22 August 2017.
- "Como usar o Sketch Engine para analisar o comportamento das palavras" Invited presentation at IX EBRALC (Brazilian School of Computational Linguistics), UFRGS/UNISINOS, Brazil, 15-16 August 2017:
- “Researching Terminology and Phraseology with Corpora” Plenary at Usos y Aplicaciones de Sketch Engine a la Descripción Combinatoria del Léxico, University of Santiago de Compostela, Spain, 17-18 November 2016,
- “Phraseology and Corpus Linguistics”. Plenary at IV Congresso Intenacional de Fraseologia e Paremiologia, State University of São Paulo, Brazil, 21-25 March 2016:
- “Corpus & enseignement”. Invited presentation at Traduction & Qualité 2016, University of Lille, France, 4 February 2016:
- “Revising and Editing with the Help of Corpora”. Invited presentation at the 26th annual conference of the Society for Editors and Proofreaders, University of York, 5–7 September 2015:
- "“Corpus et Perspectives pour l’Apprenant” Invited presentation at Journée NeQ 2013, Notions en Questions en didactique des langues, University of Lorraine, France, 13 November 2013
- "Integrating Corpora with Everyday Language (and Translation) Teaching” Invited presentation at the IntelliText workshop, University of Leeds, 11 March 2011
- “Corpora and Language Learning”. Plenary at Authenticating Language Learning: Web collaboration Meets Pedagogic Corpora Symposium, University of Tübingen, Germany, 17-19 February 2011.
- "Using Corpora Routinely". Plenary at TaLC 2010, 9th Teaching and Language Corpora Conference, Masaryk University, Czech Republic, 30 June-3 July 2010.
- "Encouraging EFL Teachers to Use Corpora in the Classroom” Invited presentation at the BAAL-CUP Symposium Using Corpus Evidence in the Classroom: Working with Teachers and Learners, University of Birmingham, 24-25 June 2010:
- "Compiling and Using a Parallel Corpus for Translation Studies" Plenary at New Trends in Corpus Linguistics for Language Teaching and Translation Studies. In Honour of John Sinclair, University of Granada, 22-24 September 2008.
- "Que Referências Consultam os Estudantes de Tradução?" Plenary at IV Congresso Ibero-Americano de Tradução e Interpretação, Unibero, Brazil, 14-17 May 2007.
- "Raising Teachers´ Awareness of Corpora" Plenary at TaLC 2006, 7th Teaching and Language Corpora Conference, Bibliothèque nationale de France, 1-4 July 2006.
Selected Knowledge Transfer Activities
- Oxford University Press, Dictionary Division: linguistic consultancy since 2011
- Harper Collins, Dictionary Division: linguistic consultancy since 2016
- Institute of Translation and Interpreting, UK: professional development corpus workshops, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2019
- European Commission DG-Translation, Brussels: professional development corpus workshop, 2016
- Society for Editors and Proofreaders, UK: guest article in the digital magazine Editing Matters: “How can corpora help editors and proofreaders?” (2018)
- Garrigues Law firm, Portugal: corpus linguistics consultancy 2018
- Fundação Francisco Manuel dos Santos and Rádio Televisão Portuguesa (RTP3), Portugal: corpus linguistics consultancy for Portuguese language infographics, 2018
- Hogarth Worldwide Limited, London: presentation on using corpora in language service provision, 2018
- Institute of Translation and Interpreting Faraday Discussion: “A corpus study comparing the discourse of human and machine translation” (2018)
- Yorkshire Institute of Translation and Interpreting, UK: professional development corpus workshop, 2017.
- ScotNet, UK: professional development corpus workshop.2016
- External Translator for the European Parliament, 2006-2011
Courses I teach on
Postgraduate research supervision
I welcome applications from prospective PhD candidates, and would be particularly interested in hearing from students wishing to develop research on dictionary use and on corpus-based approaches to translation, lexicography and language learning. I am currently supervising:
Yi Gu (2018 -) Understanding Chinese to English Translation through the Compilationand Analysis of a Chinese-English Parallel Corpus
Gustavo Zomer (2019 -) Translating science: developing an context-aware real-time writing assistant to support Brazilian researchers publishing in English
Completed postgraduate research projects I have supervised
Rangsima Ninrat (2019) The translation of allusion from English into Thai between 1960 and 2015. PhD Thesis. University of Surrey.
Jing Wang (2019) Information Seeking Behaviour in Two-way Translation: an Empirical Study. MPhil Thesis. University of Surrey.
Beatrice Carpi (2018) Systematising the analysis of songs in stage musicals for translation: a multimodal model based on themes. PhD Thesis. University of Surrey.
Athil Farhan (2017) Ideological Manipulation in the Translations of Political Discourse: A Study of Presidential Speeches After The Arab Spring Based on Corpora and Critical Discourse Analysis. PhD Thesis. University of Surrey.
Addtionally, I have supervised twenty-five MA dissertations in Translation and Interpreting Studies at the University of Surrey, three MA dissertations in TESOL at Universidade Nova de Lisboa, and four MA dissertations in Business and Legal Translation at Universidade Europeia (Lisbon).
Lopez, S., Frankenberg-Garcia, A. & Newstead, H. (2015) . Oxford Portuguese Dictionary. Oxford: Oxford University Press (also avaiable online at https://premium.oxforddictionaries.com/)
Charles, M. & Frankenberg-Garcia, A. (forthcoming) Corpora in ESP/EAP writing instruction: Preparation, Exploitation, Analysis, Routledge Corpus Linguistics Series. .
Frankenberg-Garcia, A., Flowerdew, L. & Aston, G. (eds.) (2011) New Trends in Corpora and Language Learning. London: Bloomsbury.
Frankenberg-Garcia, A., Rkibi, T., Cruz, M.R., Carvalho, R., Direito, C. & Santos-Rosa, D. (eds.) (2008) Proceedings of TaLC 2008 - Lisbon, 8th Teaching and Language Corpora Conference, 3-6 July 2008. Lisbon: Associação de Estudos e de Investigação do ISLA-Lisboa.
Frankenberg-Garcia, A. (2019) "A corpus study of splitting and joining sentences in translation" Corpora, 14/1, 1-30 (pre-publication draft).
Frankenberg-Garcia, A. Lew, R., Roberts, J., Rees, G. and Sharma, N. (2019) “Developing a writing assistant to help EAP writers with collocations in real time”, ReCALL 32/2, 23-39.
Frankenberg-Garcia, A. (2018) “Combining user needs, lexicographic data and digital writing environments”. Language Teaching first view online 1-15 (forthcoming print issue).
Frankenberg-Garcia, A. (2018) "Investigating the collocations available to EAP writers". Journal of English for Academic Purposes" 35, 93-104.
Frankenberg-Garcia, A. (2015) "Training translators to use corpora hands-on: challenges and reactions by a group of 13 students at a UK university". Corpora, 10/2, 351-380 pdf by permission of (c) Edinburgh University Press..
Frankenberg-Garcia, A. (2015) "Dictionaries and encoding examples to support language production". International Journal of Lexicography, 24/4, 490-512. by permission of (c) Oxford University Press.
Frankenberg-Garcia, A. (2014) "How Language Learners Can Benefit From Corpora, Or Not". Recherches en didatique des langues et des cultures: les cahiers de l'Acedle.
Frankenberg-Garcia (2014) "The use of corpus examples for language comprehension and production". Special Issue on Researching Uses of Corpora for Language Teaching and Learning, ReCALL, 26, 128-146. pdf by permission of (c) Cambridge University Press..
Frankenberg-Garcia, A. (2012) "Raising Teacher’s awareness of corpora". Language Teaching, 45/4, 475-489. pdf by permission of (c) Cambridge University Press.
Frankenberg-Garcia, A. (2011) "Beyond L1-L2 equivalents: where do users of English as a foreign language turn for help?". International Journal of Lexicography, 24/1, 97-123. pdf by permission of (c) Oxford University Press.
Frankenberg-Garcia, A. (2010) "Review of H.A. Welker. Panorama Geral da Lexicografia Pedagógica". International Journal of Lexicography, 23/2, 233-236. pdf by permission of (c) Oxford University Press.
Frankenberg-Garcia (2009) "Utilização de empréstimos na tradução literária" Tradução & Comunicação – Revista Brasileira de Tradutores 18, 43-61. pdf
Frankenberg-Garcia, A. (2009) "Compiling and using a parallel corpus for research in translation". International Journal of Translation, vol. XXI-1, 57-71.
Frankenberg-Garcia (2008) "Suggesting rather special facts. A corpus-based study of distinctive lexical distributions in translated texts". Corpora, vol. 3.2, 195-211. pdf by permission of (c) Edinburgh University Press
Santos, D. & A. Frankenberg-Garcia (2007) "The corpus, its users and their needs: a user-oriented evaluation of COMPARA" International Journal of Corpus Linguistics, 12/3, 335-374. abstract
Frankenberg-Garcia, A. (2005) “A Peek into What Today's Language Learners as Researchers Actually Do”. International Journal of Lexicography, 18/3, pp 335-355. pdf
Frankenberg-Garcia, A. (2005) “Pedagogical Uses of Monolingual and Parallel Concordances” ELT Journal, June 2005, 59/3, pp 189-198. pdf
Frankenberg-Garcia, A. & Santos, D. (2001) “COMPARA, um corpus paralelo de português e inglês na Web” Cadernos de Tradução IX. Universidade Federal de Santa Catarina, Brazil, pp 61-79. pdf
Frankenberg-Garcia, A. (2000) “Using a Translation Corpus to Teach English to Native Speakers of Portuguese” Op.Cit., A Journal of Anglo-American Studies vol. 3: pp 65-78. pre-publication version
Frankenberg-Garcia, A. (1999) “Providing Student Writers with Pre-Text Feedback” ELT Journal, vol. 53/2: pp 100-106. pdf
Frankenberg-Garcia, A., Rosário, J. and Pires, M.C. (1994) “Português Língua Estrangeira: que materiais didácticos vamos produzir?” Revista Internacional de Língua Portuguesa, 11, pp 155-164.
Frankenberg-Garcia, A.(1990) "Do the similarities between L1 and L2 writing processes conceal important differences?" Edinburgh Working Papers in Applied Linguistics, 1, pp. 91-102. pre-publication version
Frankenberg-Garcia, A. (forthcoming, 2020) "The Lexicography of Portuguese (including Brazilian Portuguese". In P. Hanks & G-M de Schryver (eds.) International Handbook of Modern Lexis and Lexicography. Springer. pre-publication draft
Frankenberg-Garcia, A. (2016) “A corpus study of loans in translated and non-translated texts”. In G. Corpas Pastor and M. Seghiri (eds.) Corpus-based Approaches to Translation and Interpreting: from theory to applications. Frankfurt: Peter Lang, 19-42. pre-publication draft
Frankenberg-Garcia, A. (2016) Corpora in the classroom. In G. Hall (ed.) Routledge Handbook of English Language Teaching. London: Routledge, 383-398. pre-publication draft
Frankenberg-Garcia (2014) "Understanding Portuguese Translations with the Help of Corpora". In T. Sardinha and T. Ferreira (eds.) Working with Portuguese Corpora. London: Bloomsbury, 161-176. pre-publication version
Frankenberg-Garcia (2012) “Integrating corpora with everyday language teaching”. In Thomas, J. and Boulton, A. (eds.) Input, Process and Product: developments in teaching and language corpora . Brno: Masaryk University Press, pp 36-53. pre-publication version
Frankenberg-Garcia (2012) “Prefácio”. In T. Shepherd, T. Sardinha and M. Pinto (eds.) Caminhos da Linguística de Corpus. Campinas, Brazil: Companhia das Letras, pp 11-14.
Frankenberg-Garcia, A. (2009) “Are translations longer than source texts? A corpus-based study of explicitation”. In Beeby, A., Rodríguez, P. & Sánchez-Gijón, P. (eds.) Corpus use and translating. Amsterdam and Philadelphia: John Benjamins, pp 47-58. pre-publication version
Frankenberg-Garcia, A. (2008) “Compilação e uso de corpora paralelos". In S. Tagnin & O. Vale (eds.) Avanços da linguística de corpus no Brasil. São Paulo: Humanitas, pp 117-136 pre-publication version
Frankenberg-Garcia, A. (2007) “Lost in Parallel Concordances”. In W. Teubert (ed.) Corpus Linguistics: critical concepts in linguistics, London: Routledge, volume IV, pp 176-190 (previously published in Aston et al). pdf
Frankenberg-Garcia, A. (2004) “Lost in Parallel Concordances”. In G. Aston, S. Bernardini and D. Stewart (eds.) Corpora and language learners. Amsterdam: John Benjamins, pp 213-229.
Frankenberg-Garcia, A. & Santos, D. (2003) “Introducing COMPARA: the Portuguese-English Parallel Corpus”. In F. Zanettin, S. Bernardini & D. Stewart (eds.) Corpora in Translator Education. Manchester: St. Jerome, pp 71-87. pre-publication version
Frankenberg-Garcia, A. (2002) “COMPARA, language learning and translation training”. In B. Maia, J. Haller & M. Ulrych (eds.) Training the Language Service Provider for the New Millennium. Porto: FLUP, pp 187-198. pre-publication version
Frankenberg-Garcia, A. (2000) “Using Portuguese in the Teaching of English”. In A. Pina, J. F. Duarte & M.H. Serôdio (eds.) Do Esplendor na Relva: Elites e cultura comum de expressão inglesa. Lisboa: Cosmos, pp 425-432. pre-publication version
Frankenberg-Garcia, A. (1995) “Reading, Revising, Editing”. In R. White (ed.), New Ways in Teaching Writing, Alexandria: TESOL, p 114.