I am an Early Career Researcher computational scientist with 5+ years’ experience in numerical modelling. During this time, I have applied my modelling expertise to several fields (carbon capture, the diffusion of chemicals into the skin, the study of the flow of liquid rivulets on solid surfaces, renewable engineering applications, spray drying, and others). Since 2017, I have focused on bio-engineering applications, first with a project funded privately by Nestlé Research Center (Lausanne, Switzerland) and since October 2019, when I enrolled on the EPSRC Project ‘Engineering a Topical Hypobaric patch: A needle-free solution for biopharmaceutical drug administration into the skin’ (Project No. EP/S021159/1).
My research has been carried out in the frame of the following projects:
- From 10.2019-To date. Engineering a topical hypobaric patch: A needle free solution for biopharmaceutical drug administration into the skin. EPSRC (United Kingdom). King’s College London & University of Surrey. Project No. EP/S021159/1. https://gow.epsrc.ukri.org/NGBOViewGrant.aspx?GrantRef=EP/S021167/1#:~:text=The%20device%20uses%20a%20small,blood%20flow%20underneath%20the%20chamber.
- 02.2018–09.2019. Stepping towards the industrial 6th sense. EPSRC (United Kingdom). University of Surrey. Project No. EP/R001588/1. https://gow.epsrc.ukri.org/NGBOViewGrant.aspx?GrantRef=EP/R001588/1
- 10.2017–01.2018. Industrial Funding from Nestle Research Center (Switzerland). Computational modelling of transdermal drug delivery.
- 01.2013–09.2017. Computational Modelling and optimisation of carbon capture reactors. EPSRC (United Kingdom). Project No. EP/J020184/1 (Cranfield University) and EP/J020184/2 (University of Surrey) https://gow.epsrc.ukri.org/NGBOViewGrant.aspx?GrantRef=EP/J020184/2
ENG1083 Transferable Skills (Matlab)
List of Publications
- D. Sebastia-Saez et al. Advancing CCSU technologies with Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD): A look at the future by linking CFD and Process Simulations. In: T. Reina, J. Odriozola, H. Arellano-Garcia (Eds.): Engineering Solutions for CO2 Conversion. Wiley, Weinheim, Germany. ISBN-13: 978-3527346394. 2021.https://www.wiley.com/en-am/Engineering+Solutions+for+CO2+Conversion-p-9783527346394
Journal Articles Under Review
- F. Benaouda, …, D. Sebastia-Saez, et al. Hypobaric pressure-controlled skin domes that enhance the topical drug delivery through temporal skin appendage opening. Science Advances.
- D. Sebastia-Saez, Panayiotis Kattou, et al. In silico study of the lipophilicity of the follicular route during topical drug delivery. Pharmaceutical Research. Link to arXiv: https://arxiv.org/abs/2012.02728
Published Journal Articles
- D. Sebastia-Saez, Faiza Benaouda, Charlie Lim, et al. Numerical analysis of the strain distribution in skin domes formed upon the application of hypobaric pressure. Skin Research and Technology 00:1–11, 2021. http://doi.org/10.1111/srt.13047
- Francisco M. Baena-Moreno, D. Sebastia-Saez, et al. Analysis of the potential for biogas upgrading to syngas via catalytic reforming in the United Kingdom. Renewable and Sustainable Energy Research 144:110939. 2021. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.rser.2021.110939
- Jun Liang, …, D. Sebastia-Saez, et al. Optimal separation of acetonitrile and pyridine from industrial wastewater. Chemical Engineering Research & Design 169:54–65, 2021. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cherd.2021.03.009
- D. Sebastia-Saez, A. Burbidge, J. Engmann, M. Ramaioli. New trends in mechanistic transdermal drug delivery modelling: Towards an accurate geometric description of the skin microstructure. Computers and Chemical Engineering 141:106976, 2020. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compchemeng.2020.106976
- F.M. Baena-Moreno, D. Sebastia-Saez, et al. Is the production of biofuels and bio-chemicals always profitable? Co-production of biomethane and urea from biogas as case study. Energy Conversion and Management 220:113058, 2020. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.enconman.2020.113058
- A. Anagnostopoulos, D. Sebastia-Saez, et al. Finite element modelling of the thermal performance of salinity gradient solar ponds. Energy 203:117861, 2020. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.energy.2020.117861
- E. Stephenson..., D. Sebastia-Saez, et al. Numerical modelling of the interaction between eccrine sweat and textile fabric for the development of smart clothing. International Journal of Clothing Science and Technology. Article in Press. 2020. https://doi.org/10.1108/IJCST-07-2019-0100
- D. Sebastia-Saez, T.R. Reina, R. Silva, H. Arellano-Garcia. Synthesis and characterisation of n-octacosane@silica nanocapsules for thermal storage applications. International Journal of Energy Research 44(3):2306–2315, 2020. https://doi.org/10.1002/er.5039
- H. Arellano-Garcia..., D. Sebastia-Saez. Hydrogen Production via Load-Matched Coupled Solar-Proton Exchange Membrane Electrolysis Using Aqueous Methanol. Chemical Engineering and Technology 42(11):2340-2347, 2019. https://doi.org/10.1002/ceat.201900285
- F.M. Baena-Moreno..., D. Sebastia-Saez et al. Physicochemical comparison of precipitated calcium carbonate for different configurations of a biogas upgrading unit. Journal of Chemical Technology and Biotechnology 94(7):2256–2262, 2019. https://doi.org/10.1002/jctb.6013
- D. Sebastia-Saez et al. Numerical and experimental characterization of the hydrodynamics and drying kinetics of a barbotine slurry spray. Chemical Engineering Science 195:83–94, 2019. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ces.2018.11.040
- D. Sebastia-Saez et al. Effect of the contact angle on the morphology, residence time distribution and mass transfer into liquid rivulets: A CFD study. Chemical Engineering Science 176:356– 366, 2018. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ces.2017.09.046
- D. Sebastia-Saez et al. On the effect of the liquid phase Froude number on the interface area of gravity-driven liquid films in structured packing. Chemical Engineering Research and Design 130:208–218, 2018. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cherd.2017.12.003
- S. Hoeser, ..., D. Sebastia-Saez et al. Adaption of control structure design methods to an industrial plant engineering workflow. Industrial and Engineering Chemistry Research 56(48):14270–14281, 2017. https://doi.org/10.1021/acs.iecr.7b02582
- D. Sebastia-Saez et al. Numerical modelling of braiding and meandering instabilities in gravity-driven liquid rivulets. Chemie Ingenieur Technik 89(11):1515–1522, 2017. https://doi.org/10.1002/cite.201700034
- D. Sebastia-Saez, et al. Meso-scale CFD study of the pressure drop, liquid hold-up, interfacial area and mass transfer in structured packing materials. International Journal of Greenhouse Gas Control 42:388–399, 2015. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijggc.2015.08.016
- D. Sebastia-Saez, et al. Micro-scale CFD modeling of reactive mass transfer in falling liquid films within structured packing materials. International Journal of Greenhouse Gas Control 33:40–50, 2015. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijggc.2014.11.019
- D. Sebastia-Saez, et al. Micro-scale CFD study about the influence of operative parameters on physical mass transfer within structured packing elements. International Journal of Greenhouse Gas Control 28:180–188, 2014. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijggc.2014.06.029
- D. Sebastia-Saez, et al. 3D modeling of hydrodynamics and physical mass transfer characteristics of liquid film flows in structured packing elements. International Journal of Greenhouse Gas Control 19:492–502, 2013. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijggc.2013.10.013
Peer-Reviewed Conference Articles
- M. Hamdan, D. Sebastia-Saez, M. Hamdan, H. Arellano-Garcia. CFD analysis of the use of desert sand as thermal energy storage medium in a solar powered fluidised bed harvesting unit. Computer Aided Chemical Engineering. To appear. https://doi.org/10.1016/B978-0-12-823377-1.50059-8
- A. Al Hmoud, D. Sebastia-Saez, et al. Comparative numerical analysis of different materials in photovoltaic thermal solar hybrid panels. Computer Aided Chemical Engineering 46:793–798, 2019. https://doi.org/10.1016/B978-0-12-818634-3.50133-8
- D. Sebastia-Saez et al. CFD modelling of the evaporation of biphasic (solid- liquid) individual droplets in a spray dryer. Chemical Engineering Transactions 74:421–426, 2019. DOI: 10.3303/CET1974071
- N. Foster, D. Sebastia-Saez, et al. Fractal branch-like shell and tube heat exchanger: A CFD study of the shell side performance. IFAC-PapersOnLine 52–1:100–105, 2019. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ifacol.2019.06.044
- S. Hajizeinalibioki, D. Sebastia-Saez, et al. Dull or bright you still get electric delight: A new approach to the design of all-weather panels. Computer Aided Chemical Engineering 43:211–216, 2018. https://doi.org/10.1016/B978-0-444-64235-6.50038-3
- D. Sebastia-Saez, et al. A model-based approach to design miniaturised structured packings for highly efficient mass transfer in gas/liquid multiphase flows. Computer Aided Chemical Engineering 821–826, 2018. https://doi.org/10.1016/B978-0-444-64235-6.50144-3
- D. Sebastia-Saez, et al. CFD modelling of structured packings at small- and meso-scale. Energy Procedia 114:1601–1614, 2017.https://doi.org/10.1016/j.egypro.2017.03.1290
- D. Sebastia-Saez, et al. Volume of fluid modeling of the reactive mass transfer of CO2 into aqueous amine solutions in structured packed elements at microscale. Energy Procedia 63:1229–1242, 2017. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.egypro.2014.11.133
List of National and International Invited and Contributed Talks
- 2020 3DbioNet Meeting 14–15 September, On-line. The effect of the application of hypobaric pressure on transdermal drug delivery – A numerical analysis.
- 2020 Joint IBIN/3DbioNet Meeting 20–21 January, London (United Kingdom). Numerical study of enhanced topical drug delivery through mechanically stretched hair follicles.
- 2019 ICheap14. 14th International Congress of Chemical and Process Engineering. 26–29 May, Bologna (Italy). CFD modelling of the evaporation of biphasic (solid-liquid) individual droplets in a spray dryer.
- 2018 Invited Talk. Technische Universität Berlin. 1 February, Berlin (Germany). CFD modelling of the multiphase flow in structured packings.
- 2017 AEM 2017. 1st International Conference on Solar Energy Materials. 13 September, Guildford (United Kingdom). A novel power unit concept using CSP and desert sand.
- 2017 Process Systems Engineering Research Day. 27 June. London, United Kingdom. A novel power unit concept using CSP and desert sand.
- 2017 ChemEngDayUK 2017. 27–28 March. Birmingham, United Kingdom. CFD study of the gas-liquid interface in structured packings.
- 2015 UKCCSRC Autumn Biannual Meeting 2015, CCS in the UK - Taking Stock. 8–9 September. Glasgow, United Kingdom