Dr. Daniela Carta received her degree in Chemistry from University of Cagliari, Italy and her PhD in Chemistry from the University of Kent, Canterbury in 2006, working on sol-gel materials for biomedical applications. Since completing her PhD, she has worked as a Postdoctoral Researcher at the Department of Chemistry, University of Cagliari, Italy on sol-gel synthesis and characterization of metals/alloys and functional oxide nanoparticles dispersed in highly porous matrices (xerogels, aerogels, mesoporous silica) for catalytic applications.
In 2013 she became Research Fellow at the NanoGroup at the Nanofabrication Centre, University of Southampton, working on nanodevices for memory applications based on thin film oxides.
In November 2016 she was appointed as a Lecturer in Physical Chemistry in the Department of Chemistry at the University of Surrey.
University roles and responsibilities
- International Student Coordinator for the Department of Chemistry
- Module coordinator for: CHE3045 Topics in Physical Chemsitry; CHEM027 Advanced topics in Physical Chemistry; CHE1039 Fundamentals of forensic science: from crime scene to court; SOC1042 Fundamentals of forensic science for social scientists
Affiliations and memberships
- Nanocomposites/mesostructured materials
- Sol-gel chemistry
- Advanced structural characterization at the atomic- and nano-scale level of nanostructured solids and amorphous materials.
"Bioresorbable 2D and 3D ordered mesoporous phosphate glasses for bone tissue regeneration and drug delivery" (Oct 17 - March 20)
Royal Society (RSG\R1\180191)
"Design of antimicrobial phosphate-based glass fibres for wound healing"
Impact Acceleration Account (EPSRC/University of Surrey/National Physical Laboratory NPL)
"Mesoporous phosphate glasses nanospheres as contrast agents for ultrasound imaging and delivery of therapeutic molecules" (Oct 18 - Sept 19)
EPSRC and University of Surrey Capital Award
"Bioprinting of bioresorbable skin constructs for wound healing" (Oct 18 - March 20)
Dr Richard Martin, Aston Research Centre for Healthy Ageing, Aston University, Birmingham, UK
Dr. Isaac Abrahams, School of Biological and Chemical Sciences, Queen Mary University, UK
Prof. Jonathan Knowles, UCL Eastman Dental Institute, University College London, UK
Prof. Anna Corrias and Dr Gavin Mountjoy, School of Physical Sciences, University of Kent, Canterbury, UK
Prof. Maria F. Casula, School of Chemical Sciences, University of Cagliari, Italy
Fourth State Medicine Ltd. Haselmere, UK
Current Group members
PDRA Dr Farzad Foroutan
Postgraduate research supervision
Current PhD students (Primary Supervisor)
2017 - 2020 Mr Benjamin Alexander Kyffin - "Phosphate-based glasses for tissue regeneration and drug delivery"
2018-2021 Mr Athanasios Nikolaou - "Understanding the molecular and cellular mechanisms that bioactive phosphate glasses and cold plasma regulate to inhibit bacterial growth"
Completed postgraduate research projects I have supervised
- Physical Processes in Chemistry (CHE1043)
- Transferable and Quantitative Skills 2 (CHE1037)
- Fundamentals of Forensic Science (CHE1033)
- Fundamentals of Forensic Science for Social Scientists (SOC1042)
- Intermediate Physical Chemistry (CHE2025)
- Intermediate Inorganic Chemistry (CHE2031)
- Forensic Chemistry (CHE2033)
- Topics in Physical Chemistry (CHE3045)
- Advanced Topics in Physical Chemistry (CHEM027)
- Management, communication and IT skills (CHRM002)