- Winner of the 2006 David Cuthbertson Medal, awarded annually by the Nutrition Society
- Winner of the Association for the Study of Obesity Young Achiever Award in 2008
- Member of the Diabetes UK Innovators in Diabetes Programme (2010-2012)
- FHMS Researcher of the Year 2011
Other Group Achievements
Catia Martins, PhD student, winner of the ASO student researcher award 2008
2009 - ILSI Expert Group on Postprandial Carbohydrates2010 - Editorial Board for Proceedings of the Nutrition Society
Insulin resistance/obesity; gastrointestinal physiology; dietary fibre and resistant starch
Metabolic adaptation following gastrointestinal surgery
Metabolic effects of sleep
Diet and type 2 diabetes prevention and treatment
Prof Gary Frost, Dr Louise Thomas, Prof Jimmy Bell, Imperial College LondonProf Hubert Vidal, INSERM Lyon, FranceProf Rob LaRagione, Microbial SciencesProf Derk-Jan Dijk, Dr Jon Johnston, Prof Debra Skene, Biochemical Sciences DivisionProf Glenn Gibson, University of ReadingMr Paul Hinton, Medical Physics, RSCHMiss Sue Clark, Dr Simon Gabe, St Marks Hospital HarrowProf Patrice Cani, University of Louvain Belgium
- Physiology level 1
- Human Nutrition level 2 (module organiser)
- Physiology level 2
- Energy and Lipid Metabolism level 3
- Pathology and Medicine level 2
- Biomedical Science level 2
- Level 3 Bioscience Project organiser
- MSc Nutritional Medicine
- MSc Clinical Biochemistry and Molecular Biology
- Association for the Study of Obesity
- Level 3 Bioscience Project Co-ordinator
- MD Review Committee
- Dr Caroline Bodinham, Research Fellow (Diabetes UK)
- Dr Camilla Pedersen, Research Fellow (EFSD)
- Miss Leanne Smith, Research Assistant (Diabetes UK)
- Dr Ivana Sarac, PhD Student
- Miss Najlaa Al-Mana, PhD Student
- Miss Ghalia Shamlan PhD Student
Sources of Funding
- Diabetes UK
- European Foundation for the Study of Diabetes (EFSD)
- St Marks Foundation
- Pharma and Food Industries
- MD Robertson, G Livesey, LM Morgan, SM Hampton, JC Mathers. The influence of the colon on postprandial glucagon-like peptide 1 (7-36) amide concentration in man. Journal of Endocrinology (1999) 161, 25-31.
- MD Robertson, JC Mathers. Gastric emptying rate of solids is reduced in a group of ileostomy patients. Digestive Diseases and Sciences (2000) 45, 1285-1292.
- MD Robertson, G Livesey, SM Hampton, JC Mathers. Evidence for altered control of glucose disposal after total colectomy. British Journal of Nutrition (2000) 84, 813-819.
- MD Robertson, KG Jackson, BA Fielding, CM Williams, KN Frayn. Prolonged effects of modified sham feeding on energy substrate mobilization. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition (2001) 73, 111-117.
- KG Jackson, MD Robertson, BA Fielding, KN Frayn, CM Williams. Second meal effect: modified sham feeding does not provoke the release of stored triacylglycerol from a previous high-fat meal. British Journal of Nutrition. (2001) 85, 149-156.
- MD Robertson, RA Henderson, GE Vist, RDE Rumsey Extended effect of evening meal carbohydrate/ fat ratio on fasting and postprandial substrate metabolism. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition (2002) 75, 505-510.
- MD Robertson, G Livesey, JC Mathers. Quantitative kinetics of glucose uptake and disposal following a 13C-labelled starch- rich meal: comparison of male and female subjects. British Journal of Nutrition (2002) 87, 569-577.
- MD Robertson, AO Mason, KN Frayn The timing of vagal stimulation affects postprandial lipid metabolism in humans. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition (2002) 76, 71-77.
- MD Robertson, KG Jackson, BA Fielding, LM Morgan, CM Williams, KN Frayn. Acute ingestion of a meal rich in n-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids results in rapid gastric emptying in humans. American Journal Clinical Nutrition (2002) 76, 232-238.
- KG Jackson, MD Robertson, BA Fielding, KN Frayn, CM Williams. Measurement of apolipoprotein B-48 in the Svedberg flotation rate (Sf) > 400, Sf 60-400 and Sf 20-60 lipoprotein fractions reveals novel findings with respect to effects of dietary fatty acids on triacylglycerol-rich lipoproteins in postmenopausal women. Clinical Science (2002) 103, 227-237.
- KG Jackson, MD Robertson, BA Fielding, KN Frayn, CM Williams. Olive oil increases the number of triacylglycerol-rich chylomicron particles compared with other oils: an effect retained when a second standard meal is fed. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition (2002) 76, 942-949.
- MD Robertson, KG Jackson, BA Fielding, CM Williams, KN Frayn. Acute effect of meal fatty acid composition on insulin sensitivity in healthy postmenopausal women. British Journal of Nutrition (2002) 88, 635-640.
- MD Robertson, JM Currie, LM Morgan, DP Jewell, KN Frayn. Prior short-term consumption of resistant starch enhances postprandial insulin sensitivity in healthy subjects. Diabetologia (2003) 46, 666-673.
- MD Robertson, M Parkes, BF Warren, DJP Ferguson, KG Jackson, DP Jewell, KN Frayn. Mobilization of enterocyte fat stores by oral glucose in man. Gut (2003) 52, 834-839.
- RB Heath, R Jones, KN Frayn, MD Robertson Vagal stimulation exaggerates the inhibitory ghrelin response to oral fat in humans. Journal of Endocrinology (2004) 180, 273-281.
- MD Robertson, RA Henderson, GE Vist, RDE Rumsey. Plasma ghrelin response during a period of acute-overfeeding in normal weight men. International Journal of Obesity (2004) 28, 727-733.
- MD Robertson, AST Bickerton, AL Dennis, H Vidal, DP Jewell, KN Frayn. Enhanced metabolic cycling in patients following colonic-resection for ulcerative colitis. Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism (2005) 90, 2747-2754.
- MD Robertson, AST Bickerton, AL Dennis, H Vidal, KN Frayn. Insulin-sensitizing effects of resistant starch and effects on skeletal muscle and adipose tissue metabolism. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition (2005), 82, 559-567.
- C.Martins, LM Morgan, SR Bloom, MD Robertson. Effects of exercise on gut peptides, energy intake and appetite. Journal of Endocrinology (2007) 193, 259-267.
- C Martins, LM Morgan, MD Robertson. Effects of restrained eating behaviour on insulin sensitivity in normal weight individuals. Physiology and Behavior (2009), 29, 703-708.
- CL Bodinham, GS Frost, MD Robertson. Acute ingestion of resistant starch reduces food intake in healthy adults. British Journal of Nutrition (2010), 103, 917-22.
- KL Johnston, EL Thomas, JD Bell, GS Frost, MD Robertson. Resistant starch improves insulin sensitivity in metabolic syndrome. Diabetic Medicine (2010) 27, 391-7.
- C Martins, MD Robertson, LM Morgan. Impact of restraint and disinhibition on plasma PYY and subjective feelings of appetite, Appetite (2010) 55, 208-203.
- MD Robertson, KL Johnston, LM Morgan. Glucose-dependent insulinotropic polypeptide - beyond the enteroinsular axis?. Current Opinion in Endocrinology and Diabetes (2006) 13, 56-61.
- MD Robertson. Food perception and postprandial lipid metabolism. Physiology and Behavior (2006) 89, 4-9.
- MD Robertson. Metabolic cross-talk between the colon and the periphery: implications for insulin sensitivity. Proceedings of the Nutrition Society (2007) 66, 351-361.
- C Martins, MD Robertson, LM Morgan. Effects of exercise and restrained eating behaviour on appetite control. Proceedings of the Nutrition Society (2008) 67, 28-41.
- J Darzi, GS Frost, MD Robertson. Do short-chain fatty acids have a role in appetite regulation? Proceedings of the Nutrition Society (In Press).