Dr Ian Cunningham took his first and second degrees at Trinity College Dublin, before moving to University College Dublin to take up a postdoctoral position where he worked with Professor A F Hegarty. After three years at Sunderland he moved to the University of Surrey in 1988.
University roles and responsibilities
- Head of Department
- Member of Chemistry Staff-Student Liaison Committee
- Member of Chemistry H&S forum
Research Interests are in Physical Organic Chemistry.
These include the effects of restricted rotation about partial double bonds on reactivity and stereochemistry; oxidation mechanisms of iron porphyrin catalysts; and glycosylcysteine chemistry and biochemistry.
I referee for the major journals, and grant awarding bodies.
Areas of organic chemistry, mainly general organic, but also pharmaceuticals, transition metal coupling chemistry, and asymmetric synthesis.
Physical organic chemistry recent publications
- Deprotonation of Calixarenes in Acetonitrile, Ian D. Cunningham and Marc Woolfall, J. Org. Chem. 2005, 70(23), 9248 – 9256.
- Evidence for a Fragmentation Mechanism During the Formation of Calcium Carbonate Organo-nanoparticles, Ian D. Cunningham, Jean-Philippe Courtois, Timothy N. Danks, David M. Heyes, David J. Moreton and Spencer E. Taylor, Colloids and Surfaces A: Physicochem. Eng. Aspects, 2007, 301, 184-8.
- Catalysis of the Diels-Alder Reaction by Solids, Ian D. Cunningham and Vanessa Crawley, J. Mol. Catal, A, Chemical., 2009, 301, 47.
- Pre-steady state reactivity of 5,10,15,20-tetrakis(pentafluorophenyl)-21H,23H-porphyrin iron(III) chloride with hydrogen peroxide, Ian D. Cunningham, amal Basaleh and Hanaa A. Gazzaz, Dalton Trans., 2012, 41 (30), 9158 – 9160.
- Computational calculation of absolute aqueous pKa values for phenols, Ian D. Cunningham, David C. Povey and Kabir Bhaila, CompTheorChem., 2013, 1019, 55-60.
- Ageing mechanisms of nitroethylbebzenes, Ian D. Cunningham, Katerina Ridge, William Lockley, Peter Jenkins, Edward D. McNaghten and Neil Seagrave, J. Energet. Mat., 2019, 37 (2), 188- 198.