Dr Ian Cunningham
Dr Ian Cunningham took his first and second degrees at Trinity College Dublin, before moving to University College Dublin to take up a postdoctoral position where he worked with Professor A F Hegarty. After three years at Sunderland he moved to the University of Surrey in 1988.
Research Interests are in Physical Organic Chemistry.
These include the effects of restricted rotation about partial double bonds on reactivity and stereochemistry; oxidation mechanisms of iron porphyrin catalysts; and glycosylcysteine chemistry and biochemistry.
I referee for the major journals, and grant awarding bodies.
Areas of organic chemistry, mainly general organic, but also pharmaceuticals, transition metal coupling chemistry, and asymmetric synthesis.
I am External Examiner in Chemistry at Kingston University.
Acting Head of Department in the absence of the HoD
Chemistry representative on FEPS FRDC (PGR) committee
Member of Chemistry Staff-Student Liaison Committee
Member of Chemistry H&S forum
Chemistry PGR demonstrating coordinator
Physical Organic Chemistry Recent Publications
- Evidence for Parallel Destructive, and Competitive Epoxidation and Dismutation Pathways in Metalloporphyrin- Catalysed Alkene Oxidation by Hydrogen Peroxide, I. D. Cunningham, T. N. Danks, J. N. Hay, I. Hamerton and S. Gunathilagan, Tetrahedron, 2001, 57, 6847-53.
- Stability of Various Metalloporphyrin Catalysts during Hydrogen Peroxide Epoxidation of Alkene, I. D. Cunningham, T. N. Danks, J. N. Hay, I. Hamerton, S. Gunathilagan and Celine Janczak, J. Mol. Cat.A: Chem, 2002, 185 (1-2), 25-31
- Synthesis and characterisation of Calixaren-stabilised Calcium Carbonate overbased detergents, I. D. Cunningham, J.-P. Courtois, T. N. Danks, D. M. Heyes, D. Moreton, and S. E. Taylor. Colloids & Surfaces A: Physicochem Aspects, 2003, 229, 137-47.
- The cyclopentadienyltitanium trichloride/MAO-catalysed polymerisation of methyl acrylate and copolymerisation with styrene and isoprene. Ian D. Cunningham and Khatereh Fassihi, Polym. Bull., 2005, 53, 359-365.
- Kinetics and Mechanism of methyl acrylate homo- and co-polymerisation catalysed by cyclopentadienyltitanium trichloride-MAO, Ian D. Cunningham and Khatereh Fassihi, J. Mol. Cat. A: Chemical, in press
- Deprotonation of Calixarenes in Acetonitrile, Ian D. Cunningham and Marc Woolfall, J. Org. Chem. 2005, 70(23), 9248 . 9256.
- Evidence for a Fragmentation Mechanism During the Formation of Calcium Carbonate Organo-nanoparticles, Ian D. Cunningham, Jean-Philippe Courtois, Timothy N. Danks, David M. Heyes, David J. Moreton and Spencer E. Taylor, Colloids and Surfaces A: Physicochem. Eng. Aspects, 2007, 301, 184-8