Jeremy Allam obtained his first degree in Physics from the University of Oxford, and his PhD from Surrey. After working for 2 years at AT&T Bell Laboratories and for 3 years as a postdoc sponsored by British Telecom, in 1990 he joined the newly-formed Hitachi Cambridge Laboratory where he formed a group working in Femtosecond Optoelectronics. In April 2000 he was appointed to a Chair in Ultrafast Optoelectronics.
Jeremy's research interests include ultrafast carrier dynamics in semiconductors for optoelectronic devices, high-speed photonic measurement technologies, and high-field carrier transport. He has recently commissioned a a new ultrafast laser facility comprising laser oscillators and amplifiers, parametric oscillators and amplifiers, and frequency mixers, providing a capability for <100 fs optical pulses from UV to the mid-IR wavelengths.
A full list of publications, conference presentations, and patents can be found here.
Module leader for PHY3047 Photonics and Nanotechnology
FHEQ Level 6/7 Year Coordinator (Final Year)
1. "Universal dependence of avalanche breakdown on bandstructures: choosing materials for high-power devices", J. Allam, Japanese Journal of Applied Physics 36 (3B), March 1997, pp. 1529-1542.
2. "Near single carrier-type multiplication in a multiple graded well structure for a solid-state photomultiplier", J. Allam, F. Capasso, K. Alavi and A. Y. Cho, IEEE Electron Device Letters EDL-8(1), January 1987, pp. 4-6.
3. "Impact ionization in GaAs: Distribution of final electron states determined from hydrostatic pressure measurements", J. Allam, A. R. Adams, M. A. Pate and J. S. Roberts, Applied Physics Letters 67(22), 27 November 1995, pp. 3304-3306.
4. "Mode-discriminating electro-optic sampling of coplanar waveguide", N. Baynes, J. Allam and J. R. A. Cleaver, IEEE Microwave & Guided Wave Letters 6(3), March 1996, pp. 126-128.
5. "Monolithically-integrated optoelectronic circuit for ultrafast sampling of a dual-gate FET", J. Allam, N. Baynes, J. R. A. Cleaver, K. Ogawa, T. Mishima and I. Ohbu, Optical & Quantum Electronics 28(7) (Special Issue on Optical Probing of Ultrafast Devices and Integrated Circuits), July 1996, pp. 875-896.
6. "Manufacturable PHEMT process for time-domain measurement of ultrafast transistors", C. Yuca, J. Allam, J. R. A. Cleaver and M. Missous, Proceedings of 6th International Workshop on High Performance Electron Devices for Microwave and Optoelectronic Applications (IEEE, 1998), pp. 7-12.
7. "Anomalous excitation intensity dependence of photoluminescence from InAs self-assembled quantum dots", J. Motohisa, J. J. Baumberg, A. P. Heberle and J. Allam, Solid-State Electronics 42 (7-8), July-Aug 1998, pp. 1335-1339.