Lucy Ella Rose
Lucy Ella completed her PhD at the University of Surrey in 2015, before joining the School of Literature and Languages as Teaching Fellow in 2016 and Lecturer in Victorian Literature in 2017. Her doctoral studentship, awarded by the University of Surrey and Watts Gallery (Surrey) in their first collaboration, supported her research on women in nineteenth-century creative partnerships. These included Christina and Dante Gabriel Rossetti, Mary and George Frederic Watts, and Evelyn and William De Morgan. Lucy Ella has worked extensively on the Mary Watts archive at Watts Gallery and assisted the transcription of her diaries for publication.
Lucy Ella specialises in Victorian literature, art, culture and feminism (their connections and intersections), with an interest in late-Victorian creative partnerships, focusing on neglected female figures. Her publications include a monograph, Suffragist Artists in Partnership: Gender, Word and Image (Edinburgh University Press, 2017), and book chapters and articles on Victorian women's life writing, visual culture, artistic marriages, creative circles and early feminist networks.
Affiliations and memberships
Public engagement talks
- Lecture for the series Watts & His Circle, Watts Gallery, Surrey, September 2017: 'The Wattses and Women's Suffrage'
- Talk at the launch of Surrey Museums Month: Women's History, Lightbox, Woking, April 2017: 'Mary Watts: Pioneering Surrey Suffragist'
- Lecture for the Pre-Raphaelite Society, The Birmingham and Midland Institute, February 2017: 'The Art of Evelyn De Morgan: the Metamorphic Mermaid'
- Lectures for the History of Art and Design Course: Pre-Raphaelite Women Artists, Watts Gallery, Surrey, May 2016: 'Elizabeth Siddal' and 'Christina Rossetti'
- Lecture for the Arts and Crafts Movement in Surrey (Autumn Lecture Series), Watts Gallery, Surrey, November 2015: 'Pre-Raphaelite Poetry and Painting: the Creative Partnership of Christina and Dante Gabriel Rossetti.'
- Co-organising conference, Centennial Reflections on Women's Suffrage and the Arts: Local, National, Transnational, University of Surrey, 2018.
- Co-organising Surrey University's flagship International Women's Day event, Ferguson's Gang, 2018.
- Academic Advisor on the Mary Watts and Suffrage display, Watts Gallery, 2018.
Rose wrote text for the exhibitions William and Evelyn De Morgan (2012 - 2013) and The Making of Mary Seton Watts (2013 - 2014) at Watts Gallery, and gave the first of the Curators' Tours of the latter.
Contact the press team
Phone: +44 (0)1483 684380 / 688914 / 684378
Out-of-hours: +44 (0)7773 479911
Senate House, University of Surrey
Guildford, Surrey GU2 7XH
- Victorian fiction
- Visual culture
- Women's life writing
- Creative partnerships, circles and networks
- Women's suffrage
- Feminist and gender theory
In 2016-17 I am teaching:
- Gothic to Goth
- Understanding Drama
- Understanding the Novel (convenor)
Lucy Ella welcomes enquiries from doctoral students interested in working in any of these areas.
- BAVS-funded roundtable paper, The Future of the Victorians, BAVS English Shared Futures conference, Newcastle, July 2017: 'Interdisciplinary Archival Research and the Future of Mary Watts Studies.'
- Reading Art: Pre-Raphaelite Painting and Poetry, Birmingham Museum and Art Gallery, May 2016: 'Reading the Rossettis' Representations of Women.'
- Silence in the Archives, Wolfson College, University of Oxford, November 2015: 'The Unpublished Diaries of Mary Seton Watts: Struggles, Subtexts and Silences.'
- International Centre for Victorian Women Writers (ICVWW): Reassessing Women's Writing of the 1860s-70s, Canterbury Christ Church University, July 2015: 'Reassessing Christina Rossetti's Poems About Death: a Feminist Issue.'
- Victorian Modernities, University of Kent, June 2015: 'The Rise of the “New Woman” in the Nineteenth Century: the Life and Work of Evelyn De Morgan.'