B.Sc. Upper Second Class (Hons), Biological Sciences, University of Southampton, UK
PhD., University of Birmingham, Immunology
Under the supervision of Prof. Alan Rickinson my research focused on CD8+ T cell responses to Epstein-Barr Virus (EBV) antigens.
Postdoctoral researcher, CRC Institute for Cancer Studies, University of Birmingham, Edgbaston, Birmingham, UK
The research followed on from my PhD using Epstein Barr virus as a model system in which to investigate the establishment of immunological memory
Postdoctoral Fellow, Leiden University Medical Center, Paediatrics, Leiden, The Netherlands
My project involved the identification of the homing receptor profiles and functional characterization of T cells involved in the pathogenesis and regulation of acute GvHD. In addition, I also collaborated with Prof. R.Maarten Egeler on a project trying to elucidate the pathophysiology and etiology of Langerhans cell histiocytosis.
Senior Postdoctoral Fellow, Postgraduate Medical School, University of Surrey, Guildford, UK
I currently oversee the immunological research in the Oncology group headed by Prof Hardev Pandha. Our research projects focus on developing new immunotherapeutic strategies to treat cancer patients. This involves both the identification of novel immunotherapeutic target antigens as well as developing new strategies to abrogate the immunosuppressive mechanisms active in cancer.
Main interests are in tumour immunology, immunotherapy and regulatory T cells
27 NOV 2020
University of Surrey supports local fundraising campaign to purchase state-of-the-art technology to further cancer research
- Ranzi AD, da Silva JN, Graziottin TM, Annels N, Bica CG. Immunohistochemistry Biomarkers in Nonmuscle Invasive Bladder Cancer.. Appl Immunohistochem Mol Morphol. 2017 Nov 16
- Annels NE, Simpson GR, Denyer M, McGrath SE, Falgari G, Killick E, Eeles R, Stebbing J, Pchejetski D, Cutress R, Murray N, Michael A, Pandha H. Spontaneous antibodies against Engrailed-2 (EN2) protein in patients with prostate cancer. Clin Exp Immunol. 2014 Aug;177(2):428-38.
- Annels NE, Shaw VE, Gabitass RF, Billingham L, Corrie P, Eatock M, Valle J, Smith D, Wadsley J, Cunningham D, Pandha H, Neoptolemos JP, Middleton G. The effects of gemcitabine and capecitabine combination chemotherapy and of low-dose adjuvant GM-CSF on the levels of myeloid-derived suppressor cells in patients with advanced pancreatic cancer. Cancer Immunol Immunother. 2014 Feb;63(2):175-83.
- Simpson GR, Horvath A, Annels NE, Pencavel T, Metcalf S, Seth R, Peschard P, Price T, Coffin RS, Mostafid H, Melcher AA, Harrington KJ, Pandha HS. Combination of a fusogenic glycoprotein, pro-drug activation and oncolytic HSV as an intravesical therapy for superficial bladder cancer. Br J Cancer. 2012 Jan 31;106(3):496-507.
- Middleton GW, Annels NE, Pandha HS. Are we ready to start studies of Th17 cell manipulation as a therapy for cancer? Cancer Immunol Immunother. 2012 Jan;61(1):1-7.
- Gabitass RF, Annels NE, Stocken DD, Pandha H, Middleton GW. Elevated myeloid-derived suppressor cells in pancreatic,esophageal and gastric cancer are an independent prognostic factor and are associated with significant elevation of the Th2 cytokine interleukin-13. Cancer Immunology Immunotherapy. 60:1419-1430, Oct 2011.
- Morgan R, Boxall A, Bhatt A, Bailey M, Hindley R, Langley S, Whitaker HC, Neal DE, Ismail M, Whitaker H, Annels N, Michael A, Pandha H. Engrailed-2 (EN2): a tumor specific urinary biomarker for the early diagnosis of prostate cancer. Clinical Cancer Research. 17:1090-1098, Mar 2011.
- Heinemann L, Simpson GR, Annels NE, Vile R, Melcher A, Prestwich R, Harrington KJ, Pandha HS. The effect of cell cycle synchronization on tumor sensitivity to reovirus oncolysis. Mol Ther. 18: 2085-2093, Dec 2010.
- Faaij CM, Willemze AJ, Revesz T, Balzarolo M, Tensen CP, Hoogeboom M, Vermeer MH, van Wering E, Zwaan CM, Kaspers GJ, Story C, van Halteren AG, Vossen JM, Egeler RM, van Tol MJ, Annels NE. Chemokine/chemokine receptor interactions in extramedullary leukaemia of the skin in childhood AML: differential roles for CCR2, CCR5, CXCR4 and CXCR7. Pediatr Blood Cancer. 55:344-348, Aug 2010.
- Faaij CM, Annels NE, Ruigrok G, van der Burg M, Ball LM, Bredius RG, van Tol MJ, Lankester AC. Decrease of skin infiltrating and circulating CCR10+ T cells coincides with clinical improvement after topical tacrolimus in Omenn syndrome. Journal of Investigative Dermatology. 130: 308-311, Jan 2010
- da Costa CE, Szuhai K, van Eijk R, Hoogeboom M, Sciot R, Mertens F, Björgvinsdóttir H, Debiec-Rychter M, de Krijger RR, Hogendoorn PC, Egeler RM, Annels NE. No genomic aberrations in Langerhans cell histiocytosis as assessed by diverse molecular technologies. Genes Chromosomes Cancer. 48: 239-249, Mar 2009
- Coury F, Annels N, Rivollier A, Speziani C, Azocar O, Flacher M, Egeler RM, Rabourdin-Combe C, Henter J-I, Arico M, Delprat C. Langerhans cell histiocytosis: a hyper-IL-17A syndrome due to IL-17A-positive dendritic cells. Nature Medicine. 14: 81-87, Jan 2008
- Da Costa CET, Egeler RM, Hoogeboom M, Szuhai K, Forsyth RG, Niesters M, de Krijger RR, Tazi A, Hogendoorn PCW, Annels NE. Differences in telomerase expression by the CD1a+ cells in Langerhans cell histiocytosis reflects the diverse clinical presentation of the disease. Journal of Pathology. 212: 188-197, Jun 2007