Dr Russell Mason is a Senior Lecturer in the Institute of Sound Recording (IoSR) at the University of Surrey. He is Programme Director for the Tonmeister programme, teaches Audio Engineering to students in all years of this programme, and conducts research into aspects of perception and measurement of audio.
University roles and responsibilities
- Programme director of the BMus/BSc Tonmeister programme
- Admissions tutor for the BMus/BSc Tonmeister programme
Russell researches psychoacoustic engineering: specifically the perception and measurement of audio. This research involves the development of novel subjective testing methods and stimulus synthesis techniques, as well as developing new computational algorithms to mimic human auditory perception and furthering understanding of the human auditory system.
Russell currently teaches aspects of Audio Engineering to first and final year students, including audio circuits, digital audio principles, low bit-rate coding, spatial audio, and audio over computer networks. He also leads the dissertation / technical project modules, which enable undergraduates to undertake in-depth research into topics as widely varied as loudspeaker design, advanced microphone techniques, auditory perception, and virtual reality.
He has previously taught a wide range of modules, including Electronics Practicals, Audio Laboratory, Audio Research Seminars, and Computer Audio Systems. He has also taught Master's level Speech and Audio Processing for the Department of Electrical and Electronic Engineering.
- Francombe, J., Brookes, T. and Mason, R. 2018: 'Determination and validation of mix parameters for modifying envelopment in object-based audio', Journal of the Audio Engineering Society, vol. 66, issue 3 (March), pp. 127-145.
- Francombe, J., Brookes, T., Mason, R. and Woodcock, J. 2017: 'Evaluation of spatial audio reproduction methods (part 2): analysis of listener preference', Journal of the Audio Engineering Society, vol. 65, issue 3 (March), pp. 212-225.
- Francombe, J., Brookes, T. and Mason, R. 2017: 'Evaluation of spatial audio reproduction methods (part 1): elicitation of perceptual differences', Journal of the Audio Engineering Society, vol. 65, issue 3 (March), pp. 198-211.