Dr Will Lovegrove
University roles and responsibilities
- Head of the Technology Transfer Office
- Managing and growing the pipeline of University-wide commercialisation opportunities
- Ensuring University of Surrey intellectual property is protected
- Exploiting University research/expertise to generate income & impact
- Advising the University of Surrey Seed Fund Ltd on investment decisions
- Joint-responsibility for the Innovation Strategy Directorate
- Trusted Research and Responsible Innovation
- Oversight of Impact Acceleration Accounts
I jointly lead the University of Surrey's Innovation Strategy Directorate, with a special focus on Technology Transfer, Strategic Industry Partnerships, Impact Acceleration Accounts, management of the University's Higher Education Innovation Fund, Regional Cluster development, place-based KE engagement with Civic authorities, Trusted Research, inspiring a culture of innovation within our researchers and students, and strengthening and growing the University's innovation ecosystem.
Previously, in 2014, with financial support from Innovate UK (the UK Government's innovation agency) I created an R&D project called 'systemsync' which harnessed cloud technology to reduce costs associated with transfer of business data between organisations. This led to the creation of a technology start-up known as pensionsync which pioneered the electronic transfer of financial data between payroll software and pension providers. In August 2019 pensionsync was acquired by Australian cloud payroll provider KeyPay, and continues to be used today providing global payroll products with sophisticated pension data delivery and transformation services.
I have a Ph.D and a 1st BSc (hons) in Computer Science from the University of Nottingham. I am a member of the Money and Pensions Service 'pensions dashboard' Steering Group; a lifetime achievement award from the Chartered Institute of Payroll Professionals; and I'm an ambassador for the Transparency Task Force (a UK-based organisation comprised of volunteers who champion transparency in the global financial services industry).