The Researcher Development Programme offer one-to-one appointments in person, via Skype or via Zoom about any aspect of your research life at Surrey.
- Managing your manager or supervisor
- Presentation skills
- Academic writing
- Time management
- Working in a research team
- Preparing for conferences
- Raising your profile
- Managing a research project
- Mock interviews
- Career Development and Planning
- Fellowship plans and research funding
- Life as a doctoral student
- Life as a research staff member
- Any workshops on our list for distance or part time researchers
- Viva or confirmation practice
Book a one-to-one appointment
To book please email email@example.com. This will require a short description of what you would like to talk about. Please note: whenever possible, timings for these meetings will be arranged to fit with international time zones or the working patterns of part-time researchers. We do offer out of office hours appointments when necessary.
For support managing personal and professional career planning at every stage of the Doctorate.
Wherever you are on your career journey a meeting with a careers coach is an opportunity to explore your ideas. It is not necessary to have a clear agenda in mind. Confidential and impartial, careers conversations may include an initial exploration of ideas and interests or a review of more detailed career management strategies.
Discuss with a professionally qualified and experienced careers consultant:
- Personal and professional career development and planning
- Strategies for successful career management
- Options both within and beyond academia
- Decision making
- Job search strategies
- Application and CV review
- Interview skills including mock interviews
As above, timings can be arranged to accommodate personal commitments.
For more information on opportunities for career development and support developing employability skills please see the careers and employability page.
New members of staff
All new members of early career research staff at the University are invited to meet with a member of the Researcher Development Programme team to discuss the opportunities and professional development available. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you would like to set up such a meeting.