Many academics within the School are economic advisers to such world-renowned organisations as the IMF, the European Central Bank, the Bank of England and HM Treasury. This means we can offer students real industry experience and ensures our teaching and research remain at the forefront of the field.
With a reputation built upon a commitment to theoretical and rigorously founded applied work, we consistently achieve strong results in research and teaching assessments. The School has a strong international reputation for research in macroeconomics, microeconomic theory, energy economics, industrial organisation, health, law and economics, labour economics, finance and econometrics. We are also a member of the South East Doctoral Training Centre, which is accredited by the Economic and Social Research Council.
The School of Economics at a glance
- Our Economics and Mathematics programme achieved 100% overall satisfaction in NSS 2017
- Ranked 7th in the Guardian University Guide 2018
- Ranked 11th in the Times and the Sunday Times University Guide 2017
- Distinctive undergraduate programmes with the opportunity of a professional placement
- Vibrant postgraduate and research programmes with 2+2 ESRC recognition
- Internationally recognised research