Our PhD in Law aims to train the next generation of legal thinkers, law reformers, policy advisors, political activists, and academics. You’ll benefit from stimulating roundtables seminars, workshops and lectures delivered by distinguished academics, eminent judges and law practitioners.
What we are researching
- Artificial intelligence and law
- Chinese comparative law
- Criminal law and neuroscience
- European Union law
- European Union law and healthcare law
- Health sciences and law
- Human rights law
- International economic law
- Kantian legal philosophy and other intellectual historical approaches to legal problems, such as terrorism, human rights and refugee law
- Language and law
- Mental health law and neuroscience
- Methodology of intellectual legal history
- Philosophy of constitutional law
- Philosophy of contract law
- Philosophy of criminal law
- Philosophy of humanitarian law
- Philosophy of neuroscience and law
- Philosophy of tort law
- Philosophy of the World Trade Organization
- Public international law
- Roman legal history and private law
- Rule of law and transnational law
- Rule of law in China
- Socio-legal approaches to mental health and law, sex crimes, sentencing
- Technology and law
- Terrorism and law
- The logic of war
- The nature of law
- The normativity of law
- The philosophy of law and economics
- Topics in international public law, such as state succession
Find a course
Find out more about applying to Surrey.
Techne studentship 2023
Funding information:This competition funded studentship is available to UK and International students. Studentships are awarded on the basis of the academic excellence of both the candidate and the research proposal.Full UK or International fee waiver and stipend at UKRI rates (currently £16,062).
AI regulation and control problem
Funding information:A stipend of £15,609 for 2021/22, which will increase each year in line with the UK Research and Innovation (UKRI) rate, plus Home rate fee allowance of £4,500 (with automatic increase to UKRI rate each year). For exceptional international candidates, there is the possibility of obtaining a scholarship to cover overseas fees.
Our Doctoral College supports the academic and professional development of postgraduate researchers to ensure our world-leading research continues to grow. There is also an extensive Researcher Development Programme run at university level.
What our students say
Read our student profiles to discover first-hand what it's like to study with us.