International exchange

Nearly all undergraduate students at Surrey have the opportunity of spending a semester or a year at one of our world-wide partners.  Where you can go depends on your degree programme. 

Some students are able to go in their second year, replacing a semester or year of studies. Others go into their third year as part of their professional training.  

Students studying maths, biosciences, economics, tourism and hospitality, business, engineering, music and sociology (only to Maryland) can go in their second year.

Students studying languages, english literature, liberal arts, sociology, criminology, media, politics, theatre, dance,  physics and digital media, can go as part of their professional training.

Applications are made once a year with a deadline of 2 February.

Student visas and passports 

Students who are going on an international exchange will generally need to obtain a visa. It is your responsibility to find out what visa you need and how you apply.

Visa rules vary from country to country and you should check the embassy website to see what visa you will need. Information on applying for visas will be provided in March each year once you are selected for a study place at a partner university. The following is for guidance only.

Ensure your passport is valid for a minimum of six months longer than your intended stay. For example, if you are going for a full year, you will need 18 months validity on your passport. If you are even close to these figures, you should apply for a new passport as soon as possible.

You may need a biometric passport, so if you have an older non-biometric passport you should check the requirements of the country you are visiting.

Further information about visas can be found on SurreyLearn 'Let's Go Abroad' once you have been selected for an exchange place.

Contact us

Find us

Map of the University of Surrey
Global Engagement Office
University of Surrey