The University of Surrey is home to thousands of students from all over the world.
Current student numbers
In the 2020-21 academic year, we have over 16,000 students at Surrey – as well as 620 studying for the first stage of courses at our campus in China.
- Undergraduate students: 12,579
- Postgraduate (taught) students: 2,710
- Postgraduate (research) students: 1,153
- 120,000 graduates in 175 countries
An international student body
33 per cent of students at Surrey are from outside the UK, helping to demonstrate both the diversity of our student body and the international reputation the University enjoys.
Key student facts
View Surrey's student data:
- Student key facts 2020-21 (PDF)
- Student key facts 2019-20 (PDF)
- Student key facts 2018-19 (PDF)
- Student key facts 2017-18 (PDF)
- Student key facts 2016-17 (PDF)
- Student key facts 2015-16 (PDF)
- Student key facts 2014-15 (PDF)
- Student key facts 2013-14 (PDF)
- Student key facts 2012-13 (PDF)
- Student key facts 2011-12 (PDF)
Please note that the numbers on this page cover all students as at 30 November 2018, excluding those who were absent, taking assessments or writing up on this date. Franchised students are excluded.
Undergraduate and postgraduate (taught) numbers include incoming exchange, visiting and other 'occasional' students taking modules for credit only.
The information published on these pages shows:
The number of students who attained a particular degree or other academic award, or a particular level of such an award, on completion of their course with us.
It shows these numbers by reference to:
- The gender of the individuals to which they relate
- Their ethnicity
- Their socioeconomic background.
Percentage of classified first degrees at grade 2:1 or above by characteristic for 2019-20 qualifiers
|EIMD 2019 quintile||1 and 2||81%|
|EIMD 2019 quintile||3 to 5||85%|
Detailed information on attainment for 2019-20 qualifiers
|Mode of study||Characteristic||Characteristic split||Headcount of classified First Degrees awarded|
Percentage of classified First Degrees awarded as first class
Percentage of classified First Degrees awarded as upper second class
|Percentage of classified First Degrees awarded as lower second class||Percentage of classified First Degrees awarded as third class / pass||Headcount of unclassified First Degrees awarded||Headcount of other undergraduate awards|
|EIMD 2019 quintile||1||170||24%||55%||16%||5%||N/A||N|
|EIMD 2019 quintile||1||N||N||N||N||N||N/A||N|
|EIMD 2019 quintile||1||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|N/A||Not applicable as no qualifiers at this mode and level|
|N||24 or fewer students in this population|
|DP||Data suppressed for data protection reasons|