Allocation policy and process
Find out who is eligible for accommodation and when to apply. Our official Residential Accommodation Allocation Policy is set in November each year for the following academic year. The accommodation team follows the allocation policy to process all applications.
Residential Accommodation Allocation Policy 2020/21
University Accommodation is provided in Guildford for a full academic year (approx. 38 weeks) for undergraduate students or a full year (approx. 50 weeks) for postgraduate students. Any accommodation guarantees, or priorities, only apply to students joining, or securing accommodation, from the start of the academic year in September.
New undergraduate students
Undergraduate students who are new¹ to the University of Surrey are guaranteed a place in accommodation, provided the following conditions have been met:
- Applied for accommodation² by 25th July 2020
- Students who hold the University of Surrey as their insurance choice, will be guaranteed accommodation if they apply² by 17th August 2020, please note this group will only be able to apply from 13th August 2020.
- Met the conditions of their formal academic offer by 25th August 2020.
New postgraduate students
New postgraduate students, are guaranteed a place in accommodation, provided the following three conditions have been met by 1st August 2020 for September 2020 and 11th December 2020 for February 2021 starters:
- Applied for accommodation²
- Met the conditions of their formal academic offer
- The University is in receipt of the requested academic fee deposit
Accommodation will be allocated from 6th February 2021 for February starters
Returning undergraduate and postgraduate students are not guaranteed³, with the following exceptions:
- Students undertaking a PTY abroad in 2019/20, returning to study in 2020/21, who apply by 03th March 2020 will be guaranteed a room. Those returning from PTY in the UK, who apply by 03th March 2020 will be prioritised for available rooms.
- Students starting a course at the Surrey International Study Centre will be offered accommodation if they apply² by 25th July 2020.
- Students with special requirements / extenuating circumstances that are given high priority support by Disability and Neurodiversity (DNS), will be offered accommodation. Returning students should apply for accommodation by 03th March 2020 and obtain the required support by this date. Please note support from DNS will be required each year that a student applies for accommodation.
- Incoming exchange students can apply for accommodation, but are not guaranteed³.
- Certain Students’ Union designated posts are guaranteed a place in accommodation.
- ‘New’ refers to students who have not previously studied at the University of Surrey, at any level of study, including on a Foundation Course.
- Students who have completed a course at Surrey International Study Centre are considered as ‘new’ students.
- In order to apply for accommodation students must have successfully applied to the University of Surrey and made Surrey their firm choice, 48 hours prior to the accommodation guarantee deadline.
- In addition to the above guarantees, it is the expectation for 2020/21 that accommodation will be available, but not guaranteed, for students progressing from a foundation course to the first year of a degree course.
- It is not expected that accommodation will be available for other returning groups.
- This policy is reviewed annually and is subject to change.
- Accommodation guarantees / priorities only extend to unaccompanied students applying for a single room. We are unable to guarantee the availability of accommodation for partners or families.
- University accommodation can be provided both on and off the University campuses, in accommodation that is owned or managed by the University, or provided on the University’s behalf by a third party.
- Accommodation guarantees / priorities only extend to full year or full academic year, full time students.
- Room bookings are only confirmed after a student has formally accepted their accommodation offer and made the appropriate prepayment.
- Students not eligible for accommodation include: those on a placement year, studying part-time, writing up, assessment only or resitting part of their course, those who are absent or withdrawn, and occasional students.
- The University reserves the right not to accommodate a student based on outstanding debts or the outcome of previous disciplinary processes.
Frequently asked questions
Rooms are not allocated on a first-come first-served basis. Instead after the deadline has past we start processing all applications.
Students are only able to apply once per academic year. If you wish to change anything on your application, you need to email us stating clearly your name, University ID, the new order of preferences and any information to be added or amended, so we can update your application.
We have more than 3,000 ensuite rooms so there is a good chance of getting one. Please note that this is not guaranteed.