Our French (Beginners) evening language classes are open to adult learners, aged 18 and over, and are taught by skilled and experienced tutors.
From October 2021 to June 2022 classes will be taught online via Zoom.
Classes are delivered over three terms and you can join at the beginning of each term:
- Autumn term (October – December)
- Winter term (January – March)
- Spring term (April – June).
The winter and spring terms are a continuation of the autumn term. Please note that If you are a complete beginner, you should not join mid-way through the year, but instead wait and join in the autumn term when the complete beginner courses start. To complete a full level, you need to attend all three consecutive terms.
Nevertheless, you can join the class at the beginning of any term. To ensure that you enrol on the right course if joining us in January or April, please check your language level with our tutors at one of our open evenings.
Please note, the syllabus may vary according to class progress and availability of materials.
- Introducing yourself and family
- Asking and answering basic questions
- Name of nationalities, languages, studies and jobs
- Saying where you live and describing your town
- Regular verbs in present tense: j’habite, tu habites... (I live, you live)
- Some irregular verbs in present tense: Je suis, tu es... (I am, you are…)
- The negative of the verb: ne... pas [not]
- Articles: le, la, l’ / un, une (the / a)
- Il y a: there is, there are
- Likes and dislikes
- Talking about friends and family
- Telling the time
- Describing your daily routine
- More regular and irregular verbs in present tense: faire, aller and sortir
- Possessive adjectives: my, your, his/her, your, their [mon/ma/mes ; ton/ta/tes ; son/sa/ses ; notre/nos ; votre/vos ; leur/leurs]
- Moi aussi/moi non plus/pas moi/moi si.
- Shopping and describing items
- Talking about the weather
- Describing food
- Ordering in a restaurant
- Recent events in the past
- Demonstrative adjectives: ce, cet, cette, ces [this/that, these/those]
- Gender and number of colour adjectives
- The near future tense: je vais manger (I will eat)
- Present perfect tense: J’ai travaillé (I have worked/I worked), j’ai dormi (I have slept/I slept)
- Irregular past participles: j’ai dit (I said), j’ai écrit (I wrote)
- Expressing periods of time: pendant, depuis, il y a (during, for/since, ago)
Version Originale 1: Student's Book + CD + DVD (Bilingual edition), Monique Denyer, Agustin Garmendia and Marie-Laure Lions-Olivieri, ISBN: 978-0850482300.
Version Originale 1 - Workbook (English edition), Marie-Laure Lions Olivieri, Michael Magne, ISBN: 978-8484436942.
|Autumn||1 - 3|
|Winter||4 and 5|
|Spring||6 - 8|
We do not recommend you buy the course books before starting the course, in case the tutor changes the course books or you need to transfer to a different level. Our tutor will bring copies for the first class and will let you know which course books to purchase.
Classes run 7pm – 8:30pm on Thursday evenings, with eight classes per term.
Approximately 12 students.
At the end of each term, we will issue you with a certificate of attendance if you have been to a minimum of 75% of your classes.
All applicants should be aged 18 and over.
|Autumn||No prior knowledge is required.|
|Winter||You should have a very basic knowledge of French. You will be expected to have knowledge of the topics and grammar covered in the autumn term of our French (Beginners) course.|
|Spring||You should have a very basic knowledge of French. You will be expected to have knowledge of the topics and grammar covered in the autumn and winter terms of our French (Beginners) course.|
Fees and funding
Price per person:
£150 for one termPublic
£150 for one termCurrent Surrey degree student/staff
£270 for two termsPublic (10% discount)
£255 for two termsCurrent Surrey degree student/staff (15% discount)
£382 for three termsPublic (15% discount)
£360 for three termsCurrent Surrey degree student/staff (20% discount)
Savings apply when you book multiple terms at the same time.
Books: approximately £25 - £40 (for three terms).
Terms and conditions
When you accept an offer of a place at the University of Surrey, you are agreeing to comply with our policies and regulations and our terms and conditions. You are also confirming you have read and understood the evening language classes privacy notice.
- This online prospectus has been prepared and published in advance of the commencement of the course. The University of Surrey has used its reasonable efforts to ensure that the information is accurate at the time of publishing, but changes (for example to course content or additional costs) may occur given the interval between publishing and commencement of the course. It is therefore very important to check this website for any updates before you apply for a course with us. Read more.