- Start date:
- 05 February 2024
- Attendance dates:
05, 12, 19, 26 February 2024
04, 11, 18, 27 March 2024
15, 22, 29 April 2024
06 May 2024
- Time commitment:
- 1hr 30min per week. Classes run from 7-8:30pm on Mondays.
Our French (Beginners) evening language classes are open to adult learners, aged 18 and over, and are taught by skilled and experienced tutors.
Classes are delivered over two terms and you can join at the beginning of each term. Please note that Term 2 is a continuation of Term 1. If you are a complete beginner, you should not join mid-way through the year, but instead wait and join in the autumn when the complete beginner courses start. To complete a full level, you need to attend the two consecutive terms.
Please see our homepage for term times.
Please note, the syllabus may vary according to class progress and availability of materials.
- Introducing yourself and family
- Asking and answering basic questions
- Name of nationalities, languages, studies and jobs
- Saying where you live and describing your town
- Likes and dislikes
- Talking about friends and family
- Telling the time
- Describing your daily routine
- Shopping and describing items
- Talking about the weather
- Describing food
- Ordering in a restaurant
- Recent events in the past
- Regular verbs in present tense: j’habite, tu habites... (I live, you live)
- Some irregular verbs in present tense: Je suis, tu es... (I am, you are…)
- The negative of the verb: ne... pas [not]
- Articles: le, la, l’ / un, une (the / a)
- Il y a: there is, there are
- More regular and irregular verbs in present tense: faire, aller and sortir
- Possessive adjectives: my, your, his/her, your, their [mon/ma/mes ; ton/ta/tes ; son/sa/ses ; notre/nos ; votre/vos ; leur/leurs]
- Moi aussi/moi non plus/pas moi/moi si
- Demonstrative adjectives: ce, cet, cette, ces [this/that, these/those]
- Gender and number of colour adjectives
- The near future tense: je vais manger (I will eat)
- Present perfect tense: J’ai travaillé (I have worked/I worked), j’ai dormi (I have slept/I slept)
- Irregular past participles: j’ai dit (I said), j’ai écrit (I wrote)
- Expressing periods of time: pendant, depuis, il y a (during, for/since, ago)
Version Originale 1: Student's Book + CD + DVD (Bilingual edition), Monique Denyer, Agustin Garmendia and Marie-Laure Lions-Olivieri, ISBN: 978-0850482300.
Version Originale 1 - Workbook (English edition), Marie-Laure Lions Olivieri, Michael Magne, ISBN: 978-8484436942.
We do not recommend you buy the course books before starting the course, in case the tutor changes the course books or you need to transfer to a different level. Our tutor will bring copies for the first class and will let you know which course books to purchase.
Classes run 7pm – 8:30pm on Monday evenings, with 12 classes per term.
Approximately 16 students.
At the end of each term, we will issue you with a certificate of attendance if you have been to a minimum of 75% of your classes.
All applicants should be aged 18 and over.
|1||No prior knowledge is required.|
|2||You should have a very basic knowledge of French. You will be expected to have knowledge of the topics and grammar covered in Term 1 of our French (Beginners) course.|
Fees and funding
Price per person:
£225 for one termPublic
£180 for one termCurrent Surrey degree student/staff
For members of the public registered on Term 1 booking again for Term 2, discounts on fees (if any) will be applicable.
Books: approximately £25 - £40 (for three terms).
Terms and conditions
When you accept an offer of a place at the University of Surrey, you are agreeing to comply with our policies and regulations and our terms and conditions. You are also confirming you have read and understood the evening language classes privacy notice.
This online prospectus has been prepared and published in advance of the commencement of the course. The University of Surrey has used its reasonable efforts to ensure that the information is accurate at the time of publishing, but changes (for example to course content or additional costs) may occur given the interval between publishing and commencement of the course. It is therefore very important to check this website for any updates before you apply for a course with us. Read the full disclaimer.