Pre-Sessional English Language 8 weeks (PS8)
If you are an international student planning to study on a degree course with us but don't meet our initial English language requirements, you may benefit from our Pre-Sessional English Language 8 weeks (PS8) course.
You will automatically be moved onto your degree course on successful completion of the Pre-Sessional English Language 8 weeks (PS8) course, if this is condition of your offer, without the need to take any additional external language tests, including IELTS.
Update: In light of the coronavirus situation, our pre-sessional English courses this autumn will all be delivered online with synchronous teaching by English for Academic Purposes tutors in small groups.
The online classes will be from 9am – 12:30pm (GMT).
One to one tutorials will be scheduled either before or after the online classes.
The course will be taught fully online and will include:
- Ability to write in an appropriate academic style
- Research and referencing skills, including adopting a critical approach to data
- Lecture listening and note-taking skills
- Speaking and academic presentation skills
- Reading efficiency
- Academic vocabulary
- Ability to work independently and in groups
- Confidence in your own ability to study in English
- Strategies to deal with the demands of a degree course in English.
- Language fluency and accuracy
- Academic presentation skills
- Academic study skills
- Fully referenced academic essays
- Listening and note-taking in lectures
- Reading skills including your ability to understand the structure, ideas and arguments presented in academic texts
- Independent learning, time management, independent study and other organisational skills.
Learning and teaching methods
- Reading and listening activities
- Speaking practice
- Group discussions
- Independent study
- One-to-one tutorials.
There will be final assessments in all four skills.
This course has 8 weeks of teaching from 19 October to 11 December 2020.
You will need to have already accepted a degree offer with us in order to be eligible for our Pre-Sessional English Language 8 weeks (PS8) course.
English language requirements
To be eligible for this Pre-Sessional English Language 8 weeks (PS8) course, you will need to have achieved an overall IELTS Academic score of 0.5 below the required level for your degree course, with no lower than 0.5 in all other components.
For students who are required to have a higher or lower IELTS Academic score for the degree offer condition, the minimum entry levels for all pre-sessional courses will be correspondingly higher or lower.
Example entry scores
Applicants who need an IELTS Academic 6.5 overall with no lower than 6.0 in each component for their degree course:
Applicants who need an IELTS Academic 6.5 overall with no lower than 6.0 in Writing and 5.5 in all other components for their degree course:
Fees and funding
Price per person:
What these fees include
- 10% deposit: £288
- Remaining course fees: £2,592*
*We require the remaining fee to be paid 4 weeks before the course starts.
Throughout the duration of your studies it is likely that you will incur additional costs.
If you are being sponsored, evidence of this must be supplied to us after your initial application is made, via the applicant portal.
This has to be issued by an authorised officer of an official sponsoring body and have a recent date of issue. This should be on company headed paper and should clearly state:
- Your name and university number.
- The programme for which you have been offered a place.
- The level of fees that will be paid by the company.
- The address the invoice should be sent to.
- That the fees will be paid directly to the University of Surrey.
Terms and conditions
When you accept an offer of a place at the University of Surrey, you are agreeing to comply with our policies and regulations and our terms and conditions.
The deposit or fees for the Pre-Sessional English Language 11 weeks (PS11) course, paid to the University, can be refunded if a request is made via email to email@example.com at least two weeks before the start of the course.
A full refund of any paid course deposit or fee will be refunded if:
- The University is unable to offer the place.
- The University closes the course.
- The University cannot fulfil its offer of a place.
This online prospectus has been prepared and published in advance of the commencement of the course. The University of Surrey has used its reasonable efforts to ensure that the information is accurate at the time of publishing, but changes (for example to course content or additional costs) may occur given the interval between publishing and commencement of the course. It is therefore very important to check this website for any updates before you apply for a course with us. Read more.