Antennas and Propagation
18-22 November 2019
The short course course is designed to provide an overview of the fundamental principles associated with microwave and RF antennas and propagation.
The course will present the underlying theory in an accessible manner, together with techniques for application of the theory to satellite and mobile communications scenarios as well as broadcasting and indoor wireless applications.
The course is partly based on a MSc modules taught here at the University.
We offer an MSc in Electronic Engineering via short courses.
- Antenna principles and calculations from electromagnetic theory
- Radio propagation modelling
- Overcoming channel impairments
- Antenna design with the inclusion of laboratory demonstrations.
The course is usually very popular so early booking is advised.
Please note that this syllabus can be changed at the University of Surrey's discretion.
Introduction and Antenna Fundamentals I and II – Dr Tim Brown
An introduction to the whole course and its structure. What is an antenna? Why does antenna design and propagation modelling matter? Examples of applications in this regard. Overview of relevant textbooks in the field.
Brief introduction to Maxwell’s equations, Poynting Vector, Plane waves, Hertzian Dipole. Isotropic radiator. Definitions of gain, radiation resistance, effective area, link budget and far field criteria, impedance and reflection coefficient. Polarisation, Basic wire antennas: dipole, loop. Helix antennas.
Antenna Characterisation Design Lab – Dr Tim Brown
Types of Antennas and Introduction to Arrays – Dr Tim Brown
Propagation Fundamentals – Dr Tim Brown
Fixed Link Propagation Models – Dr Tim Brown
Slant Path Propagation for Fixed Satellite Links – Dr Tim Brown
Diffraction Models – Dr Tim Brown
Propagation in the Troposphere – Dr Richard Rudd – Aegis Systems Ltd
Wire Antennas Old and New, Small Antennas – Prof Mike Underhill
Laboratory Demonstrations – Prof Mike Underhill
Mobile Systems Overview, Microcells and Macrocells – Prof Simon Saunders
Indoor Propagation – Prof Simon Saunders
Antenna Simulations – CST Ltd.
Base Station Antennas – Prof Brian Collins – BSC Consulting
HF Antennas and Propagation – Prof Brian Collins – BSC Consulting
GPS Systems Antennas – Prof Brian Collins – BSC Consulting
Printed Mobile Antennas – Prof Brian Collins – BSC Consulting
This will be a week long course.
Please note: Course notes will be available in electronic format (pdf) via dropbox and/or USB stick prior to the course start date.
Price per person, including lunch and refreshments:
Non IET members:
- £1900 - Standard rate
- £1750 - Early bird rate for payment received one month before the course start date.
For IET Members (proof of membership needed):
- £1900 - Standard rate
- £1650 - Early bird rate for payment received one month before the course start date.
How to apply
Payment can be accepted by purchase order, credit card or bank transfer on our online store, which will be available soon.
Please note that we do not charge VAT as we are an educational establishment.
Payments will be accepted subject to availability. If making payment by credit card, please forward the transaction receipt by email to Barbara Steel.
Please view our 2017 brochure.
Terms and conditions
- Cancellations notified in writing ten working days before the event; we charge a cancellation fee of 35 per cent of the standard rate. If we have already received payment we refund 65 per cent of the full fee
- Cancellations within 10 working days before the event; We charge these at the full rate and do not give refunds
- If no written notice of cancellation is received, no refund can be made
- The University of Surrey reserves the right to cancel any event. In this case, the full fee will be refunded unless a mutually convenient transfer can be arranged. Details of event changes or cancellations are available by phoning +44 (0)1483 686040
- Delegates can make a provisional registration for a course by telephone or email. However bookings are only acknowledged formally once payment has been received
- Substitutions from the same company may be made following consultation with the Continuing Education Manager
- The University reserves the right to cancel any course on the grounds of insufficient numbers or for other reasons beyond our control. In this case the full fee will be refunded unless a mutually convenient transfer can be arranged
- Registrations cannot be accepted without a valid purchase order, credit card payment or cheque
- Proof of payment
- Registrations must come with a valid purchase order, credit card payment or cheque.
Enquiries and brochure requests should be addressed to Barbara Steel in the faculties Professional Development Office:
- Tel: +44 (0)1483 686040
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org.