LGBTQI+ Equality Group
Sexual orientation is a protected characteristic under the Equality Act 2010, relating to a person's sexual orientation towards:
- Persons of the same sex
- Persons of the opposite sex
- Persons of either sex.
What we are doing
- We are part of the UK Workplace Equality Index scheme.
- We have a Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Trans, Queer and Intersex (LGBTQI+) Equality Group to further equality for LGBT staff, students and the wider community.
- We have established a LGBT network for our staff and students.
- We actively encourage our staff and students to set good examples and to take responsibility for ensuring work and study areas are free from unacceptable behaviour.
- We encourage staff to be open about their sexual orientation so we can gain a better understanding of our workforce.
- We run LGBTQI+ awareness workshops.
- We have a Rainbow Allies Network.
- Every year we celebrate LGBT History Month with a comprehensive programme of events.
For further advice or enquiries contact the Faculty Equality Diversity Committee: FHMS-FEDIC@surrey.ac.uk.