Equality, diversity and inclusion
We are committed to championing equality, diversity and inclusion and building a culture where these values are integrated into the life and work of the Faculty of Health and Medical Sciences (FHMS).
Equality, diversity and inclusion the Faculty
We are committed to:
- Taking a proactive approach to both celebrating and promoting equality, diversity and inclusion
- Enabling everyone in our community to work and study in an environment of mutual respect and thereby supporting each other to fulfil our individual and collective aspirations
We will champion equality, diversity and inclusion and ensure that our staff and students are treated fairly and by taking a proactive approach, we can effect positive change by developing and supporting local ideas and initiatives into concrete actions and genuinely inclusive practices.
We will champion equality, diversity and inclusion in the Faculty by:
- Promoting understanding and development by enabling all staff to undertake University EDI training.
- Challenging practices, processes, policies, ourselves and others openly and respectfully – to enable each one of us to be our authentic self at work.
- Communicating our commitment and actions regularly and working in liaison with our school working groups and the University Equality, Diversity and Inclusion Forum.
- Enabling everyone within our community to be accountable for equality diversity and inclusion.
The Faculty Equality, Diversity and Inclusion Committee (FEDIC) reports to the Faculty Executive Board and is responsible for coordinating equality and diversity activities, and incentives for staff, students and visitors. It does this by:
- Identifying and advising on priorities for equality and diversity
- Ensuring transparency of activities and disseminating best practice and celebrating success
- Reviewing and responding to issues raised by school EDI groups
- Commissioning strategic pieces of work that enable the Faculty to fulfil its responsibilities relating to equality and diversity and ensuring consistency of approach
- Raising ambition at every level of the equality agenda via strong leadership, and the removal of barriers to change
- Empowering members of the Faculty, through the insightful use of evidence, and by assessing and improving performance.
All schools in the Faculty have an equality, diversity and inclusion working group reporting into FEDIC through the Head of School.
These groups have representation from a number of our equality and diversity groups. If you are interested in joining one of the working groups you should contact your Head of School.
Get in touch
For further advice or enquiries email firstname.lastname@example.org or get in touch with our school equality, diversity and inclusion group chairs:
- School of Biosciences and Medicine - Professor Roberto La Ragione, email@example.com
- School of Health Sciences - Professor Melaine Coward, firstname.lastname@example.org
- School of Psychology - Professor Monique Raats, email@example.com
- School of Veterinary Medicine - Professor Chris Proudman, firstname.lastname@example.org.
We don’t currently have any upcoming events. Check back soon for further announcements.
Women in Health and Medical Sciences
Watch a recording of the Faculty hosting its 'break the bias' International Women’s Day event, ‘Women in Health and Medical Sciences’ – career stories at the University of Surrey.