Arunprakash Jayaprakash is a Research Fellow at ICS, 5G Innovation Centre. He received his B.Tech degree in Electronics and Communication Engineering from University of Kerala, Trivandrum, India, in 2008 and his M Tech and Ph.D degrees from VIT University, Vellore, India. His doctoral research was in the area of physical layer signal processing techniques for next generation wireless communication. Prior to joining University of Surrey in 2019, he held positions of Assistant Professor in SASTRA University, Thanjavur, Adhoc Faculty at NIT Calicut and Lecturer at University College of Engineering, Trivandrum. He has also worked as Project Associate at VIT University in a project funded by Aeronautical Development Agency, India. His main research areas of interest include Wireless Communication, Digital Signal Processing, Digital Image Processing and RADAR.
Satellites will play an indispensable part in 5G roll out and the common use of new radio (NR) air interface will enable this. Satellite-terrestrial integration requires adaptations to the existing NR standards and demands further study on the potential areas of impact. From a physical layer perspective, the candidate waveform has a critical role in addressing design constraints to support non-terrestrial networks (NTN). In this paper, the adaptability of frequency-localized orthogonal frequency division multiplexing (OFDM)-based candidate waveforms and solutions are discussed in the context of physical layer attributes of non-linear satellite channel conditions. The performance of the new air interface waveforms are analysed in terms of spectral confinement, peak-to-average power ratio (PAPR), power amplifier efficiency, robustness against non-linear distortions and carrier frequency offset (CFO).
This paper analyses the New Radio (NR) air interface waveforms and numerologies in the context of current activities and studies of 3GPP related to the feasibility and standardisation of necessary adaptations for the 5G NR to support integrated-satellite-terrestrial networks with low earth orbit (LEO) satellites. Frequency-localized orthogonal frequency division multiplexing (OFDM)-based candidate waveforms are recommended by 3GPP as the waveforms for the NR in order to preserve the advantages of OFDM as well as maintain backward compatibility. 5G New Radio enables diverse service support, efficient synchronization and channel adaptability using a multinumerology concept, which defines a family of parameters of the parent waveform, that are related to each other by scaling. The major design challenges in the LEO satellite scenario are power limited link budget and high Doppler effects which can be addressed by choosing waveforms with small peak to average power ratio (PAPR) and sub-carrier bandwidth adaptation respectively. Hence, the selection of the right waveform and numerology is of prime relevance for the proper adaptation of 5G NR for LEO satellite terrestrial integration. The performance evaluation of the new air interface waveforms, with different numerologies, are carried out under the effect of carrier frequency offset (CFO), multipath effects, non-linearity, phase noise and additive white Gaussian noise (AWGN).
- Arunprakash Jayaprakash, G. Ramachandra Reddy: Novel Adaptive Filter Design for Filter Bank Multicarrier System for Doubly Dispersive Channels, IETE Journal of Research, vol. 64, no.4, pp. 538-552, May. 2018.
- Arunprakash Jayaprakash, G. Ramachandra Reddy: Covariance Fitting based Blind Carrier Frequency Offset Estimation method for OFDM Systems, IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology, vol. 65, no.12, pp. 10101-10105, Dec. 2016.
- Arunprakash Jayaprakash, G. Ramachandra Reddy: Robust Blind Carrier Frequency Offset Estimation algorithm for OFDM Systems, Wireless Personal Communications, Wireless Personal Communications, vol. 94, no.3, pp. 777–791, June 2017.
- Arunprakash Jayaprakash, G. Ramachandra Reddy: Discrete Ambiguity Function Based Analysis of Filter Bank Multicarrier Systems, IETE Technical Review, vol. 32,no. 5, pp. 1-17, Mar. 2015.
- K. Vinoth Babu, G. Ramachandra Reddy, and Arunprakash Jayaprakash: Fractionally spaced equalizer based on dynamically varying modulus algorithm for spectrally efficient channel compensation in SC-FDMA based systems, Wireless Networks vol. 20, no. 6, pp. 1387-1398, Aug. 2014.
- Arunprakash Jayaprakash, G. Ramachandra Reddy, N.S.S.R.K. Prasad: Small Target Detection within Sea Clutter Based on Fractal Analysis, Procedia Technology, Vol. 24, pp. 988-995, 201
- N.I. Eappen, Arunprakash Jayaprakash, G. Ramachandra Reddy: Covariance-fitting based sparse spectrum estimation of non-uniformly sampled data in presence of noise, International Journal of Applied Engineering Research, vol. 10, no.11, pp. 29963-29975, Jan. 2015.
- Arunprakash Jayaprakash, G. Ramachandra Reddy: Novel steganographic algorithms based on colour visual cryptography/exact histogram matching, International Journal of Applied Engineering Research, vol. 8, no.19, pp. 2555-2558, Jan. 2013.
- S.Sankar Ganesh, K.Mohanaprasad , Arunprakash Jayaprakash and Sivanantham Sathasivam: Optimized-Fuzzy-Logic-Based Bit Loading Algorithms, Handbook of Research on Fuzzy and Rough Set Theory in Organizational Decision Making, IGI Global, pp. 305-315, Apr. 2017.
- Arunprakash Jayaprakash, G. Ramachandra Reddy: Flexible Design Procedure for Prototype Filters of Filter Bank Multicarrier (FBMC) Systems, 3rd IEEE International Conference on Electronics and Communication Systems, Coimbatore, India, Feb. 2016.
- Divya Prakash, Sakuntala S. Pillai, Arunprakash Jayaprakash, G. Ramachandra Reddy: A new blind carrier frequency offset estimation scheme for OFDM systems. 2016 International Conference on Communication and Signal Processing (ICCSP) Apr. 2016.
- Dillip Dash, Arunprakash Jayaprakash, Valarmathi J, G. Ramachandra Reddy: Generalized OFDM-LFM waveform design and analysis for multistatic airborne radar, 2015 IEEE Power, Communication and Information Technology Conference (PCITC), Oct. 2015.
- Arunprakash Jayaprakash, G. Ramachandra Reddy: Optimized generalized Gaussian pulse (OGGP) based prototype filter design for filter bank multi carrier (FBMC) systems, IEEE First International Conference on Computational Systems and Communications (ICCSC), Trivandrum, India, Dec. 201
- N.I. Eappen, Arunprakash Jayaprakash, G. Ramachandra Reddy: Efficient multi user CFO estimation and correction techniques in uplink OFDMA systems, IEEE First International Conference on Computational Systems and Communications (ICCSC), Trivandrum, India, Dec. 2014.
- Arunprakash Jayaprakash, G. Ramachandra Reddy: Efficient prototype filter design for Filter Bank Multicarrier (FBMC) System based on Ambiguity function analysis of Hermite polynomials. IEEE International Multi-Conference on Automation, Computing, Communication, Control and Compressed Sensing (iMac4s), Kottayam, India, Mar. 2013.
- K. Vinoth Babu, G. Ramachandra Reddy, Arunprakash Jayaprakash: Effective frequency offset correction in OFDM systems with extended Kalman filtering technique, First International Conference on Wireless Technologies for Humanitarian Relief, Kollam, Dec. 2011.