Dr Bing Guo joined the University of Surrey as a Lecturer (Assistant Professor level) in Civil and Environmental Engineering in 2020. She received her PhD and M.Eng in Civil Engineering from McGill University, Canada, and B.Eng in Environmental Engineering from Beijing Normal University, China. Prior to joining Surrey, she was awarded the Quebec Postdoctoral Research B3X scholarship in 2019 as a joint postdoctoral fellow at the University of Alberta, Canada and Delft University of Technology, Netherlands. Her research interests include microbial ecology modelling (immigration theory, microbial interactions and networks), syntrophic relationships and electron transfer mechanisms in anaerobic bioreactors, the fate of emerging biological contaminant and gene transfer mechanisms in wastewater treatment processes.
Areas of specialism
Dr Guo has worked on various conventional and innovative wastewater treatment processes to improve water quality, nutrient removal and resource recovery using molecular biology tools, e.g. high-throughput sequencing, meta-omics techniques, bioinformatics, and mathematical models.
Research projects include: microbial ecology of activated sludge systems, antimicrobial resistance genes in water and environment, dynamics of microbial communities in sewer environment, low-temperature anaerobic digestion of municipal wastewater, biomethane production from decentralized blackwater and food waste, greywater reuse and treatment by membrane biofilm, partial nitrification and anammox processes.
Research topics include:
- Wastewater treatment, nutrient removal/recovery, biofilms
- Anaerobic digestion, syntrophic relationships; Direct interspecies electron transfer (DIET)
- Antimicrobial resistance and gene transfer mechanisms (ARGs)
- Meta-omics, bioinformatics, mathematical modelling
- Microbial ecology (immigration theory, microbial interactions and networks)
Prospective students and post-docs
Our group welcomes prospective PhD students to apply. Please send your CV, research statement, and if holding/applying your own scholarship. International post-doc researchers are welcome to apply for competitive fellowships.
Conference and workshop organisation:
- Conference Coordinator and Session Chair, 11th Western Canadian Symposium on Water Quality Research. 10 May 2019. Edmonton, Canada.
- Workshop on Illumina high-throughput sequencing data analysis, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Canada, 2019.
- Co-chair, International Water Association (IWA) ecoSTP18 Conference Workshop on Advances in system microbiology to inform modeling and operation of nutrient recovery and removal processes. June 2018. London, Ontario, Canada.
- Workshop on Bioinformatics for high-throughput sequencing of environmental samples, McGill University, Montreal, Canada, 2018.
- University representative, New England Graduate Student Water Symposium, 2017-2018.
- Session Chair, New England Graduate Student Water Symposium. September 2017. Amherst, MA, USA.
- Guo, B., Yu, N., Weissbrodt, D. and Liu, Y. Micro-aeration Affects Blackwater Anaerobic Digestion, Microbial Community and Antimicrobial Resistant Gene. 5th IWA Specialized International Conference Ecotechnologies for Wastewater Treatment (ecoSTP). 21-25 June 2021, Milan, Italy. (postponed from 2020)
- Guo, B., Zhang, Y. and Liu, Y. Ecological and Metagenomic Insights in Granular Activated Carbon Facilitated Anaerobic Digestion of Municipal Sewage. The 4th International Conference on Biogas Microbiology.19-20 May 2021, Braga, Portugal. (postponed from 2020)
- Weissbrodt, D., Calderón-Franco, D., Guo, B. and Pallares-Vega, R. Biotechnology and Safety to Manage Antimicrobial Resistance from Urban to Space Water Cycles. Current and Future Ways to Closed Lift Support System, MELISSA conference. 3-5 November 2020. (Virtual)
- Gao, M.; Guo, B.; Zhang, L.; Zhang, Y.; Yu, N.; Liu, Y. From energy consumption to energy production: blackwater anaerobic treatment in modern sanitation. 16th IWA Specialised Conference on Small Water and Wastewater Systems. Perth, Western Australia. 1-5 December 2019.
- Nouha Klai, Bing Guo, Claire Gibson, Dominic Frigon. (2019) Do PAO-related species in the influent perform EBPR in the WWTPs? Field characterization of PAOs in EBPR vs. Conventional System. Poster, The 8th IWA Microbial Ecology and Water Engineering Specialist Conference (MEWE). 17-20 November 2019, Hiroshima, Japan.
- Claire Gibson, Shameem Jauffur, Bing Guo, Nouha Klai and Dominic Frigon. (2019) How is the activated sludge community assembled? Investigating the impact of influent immigration. Poster, The 8th IWA Microbial Ecology and Water Engineering Specialist Conference (MEWE). 17-20 November 2019, Hiroshima, Japan.
- Bing Guo, Mengjiao Gao, Lei Zhang, Yingdi Zhang, Huixin Zhang and Yang Liu. (2019) Enrichment of microbial consortia for anaerobic digestion of source-diverted blackwater collected from conventional and vacuum toilets. Oral presentation, National Water and Wastewater Conference. 3-6 November 2019, Banff, Canada.
- Gao, M.; Zhang, L.; Guo, B.; Zhang, Y.; Liu, Y. Anaerobic treatment of source-diverted blackwater: Energy recovery from human excreta. National water and wastewater conference. Banff, Alberta, Canada. Nov 3-6, 2019.
- Zhang, Y.; Guo, B.; Zhang, L.; Liu, Y. Decentralized Domestic Wastewater Treatment for Energy Recovery. National water and wastewater conference. Banff, Alberta, Canada. Nov 3-6, 2019.
- Zhang, L.; Zhang, Q.; Guo, B.; Zhou, Y.; Zhang H.; Liu Y. Anaerobic codigestion of blackwater and kitchen organic waste: alternative energy surplus onsite treatment. National water and wastewater conference. Banff, Alberta, Canada. Nov 3-6, 2019.
- Lei Zhang, Bing Guo, Qianyi Zhang, Anna P. Florentino, Huixin Zhang andYang Liu. (2019) Anaerobic Codigestion of Household Blackwater with Kitchen Organic Waste. Poster, The 16th World Congress on Anaerobic Digestion (AD16). 23-27 June 2019, Delft, the Netherlands.
- Zhang, Y.; Zhang, L.; Guo, B.; Gao, M.; Liu Y. (2019). Enhancing biogas recovery from municipal sewage using granular activated carbon amended UASB digestion. Oral presentation, The 16th World Congress on Anaerobic Digestion (AD16). 23-27 June 2019, Delft, the Netherlands.
- Zhang, Y.; Zhang. L.; Guo, B.; Gao, M.; Tang, Y.; Mohammed, A.; Liu, Y. (2019). Anaerobic digestion and methane production in municipal sewage at low temperatures using a granular activated carbon-amended UASB. Oral presentation, 11th Western Canadian Symposium on Water Quality Research. 10 May 2019, Edmonton, Canada.
- Zhou, Y.; Guo, B.; Zhang, L.; Yang, S.; Zou, X.; Zhang, H.; Liu, Y. (2019). Simultaneous denitrification and anammox processes for the treatment of anaerobic digested blackwater. Oral presentation, 11th Western Canadian Symposium on Water Quality Research. 10 May 2019, Edmonton, Canada.
- Zhang, Q.; Zhang, L.; Guo, B.; Liu, Y. (2019). Blackwater and Kitchen Organic Waste Codigestion in Anaerobic Sequencing Batch Reactors. Oral presentation, 11th Western Canadian Symposium on Water Quality Research. 10 May 2019, Edmonton, Canada.
- Bing Guo, Yingdi Zhang, Lei Zhang, Yang Liu. Increased spatial resolution and RNA-based analysis revealed microbial enrichment by granular activated carbon in anaerobic digesters. (2019) Oral presentation, 11th Western Canadian Symposium on Water Quality Research. 10 May 2019, Edmonton, Canada.
- Bing Guo, Claire Gibson, Chenxiao Liu. and Dominic Frigon. (2018) Microbial community structure of wastewater varies diurnally like physicochemical characteristics and suggest origins of microorganisms. Oral presentation, International Water Association ecoSTP18 Conference. 25-27 June 2018, London, Ontario, Canada.
- Bing Guo, Nouha Klai and Dominic Frigon. (2017) Microbial Community Diversity in Influent and Activated Sludge in Wastewater Treatment: Analysis Using 16S Illumina Sequencing and Qiime2. Oral presentation, New England Graduate Student Water Symposium. 8-10 September 2017, Amherst, MA, USA.
- Bing Guo, Sarah Outayek, and Dominic Frigon. (2017) Wastewater Quality Time Series Analysis Using Univariate and Multivariate Models and Wastewater Influences on Microbial Activity. Oral presentation, 31st Eastern Canadian Symposium on Water Quality Research. 19 May 2017, Québec City, Québec, Canada.
- Yu Yang, Bing Guo, Shameem Jauffur, and Dominic Frigon (2016) Dynamics of class 1 integron gene cassette arrays in wastewater treatment systems. Poster, New England Graduate Student Water Symposium, Session Microbiology, University of Massachusetts Amherst. 9-11 September 2016, Amherst, MA.
- Bing Guo. and Dominic Frigon. (2015) Classification and Phylogenetic Identification of Heterotrophic Specialists in Activated Sludge. Oral presentation, New England Graduate Student Water Symposium. 13 September 2015, Amherst, MA, USA.
- Bing Guo. and Dominic Frigon. (2014) Identification of microbial functional groups in wastewater treatment systems by cell sorting and pyrosequencing. Best student oral presentation. International Symposium on Environment and Health. 4-5 July 2014, Beijing, China.
ENG3204 ADVANCED WATER AND WASTEWATER TREATMENT
ENGM055 APPLIED CHEMISTRY AND MICROBIOLOGY
For full publication list, please visit https://scholar.google.com/citations?user=IdIGpcAAAAAJ&hl=en
35. Guo, B., Sheng, Z. & Liu, Y. Evaluation of influent microbial immigration to activated sludge is affected by different-sized community segregation. npj Clean Water 4, 20 (2021). https://doi.org/10.1038/s41545-021-00112-7
34. Guo, B., N. Yu, D. G. Weissbrodt and Y. Liu (2021). "Effects of micro-aeration on microbial niches and antimicrobial resistances in blackwater anaerobic digesters." Water Research 196: 117035. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.watres.2021.117035
33. Yu, N., B. Guo and Y. Liu (2021). "Shaping differentiated biofilm microbiomes by changing GAC location in wastewater anaerobic digestion." Science of The Total Environment: 146488. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.scitotenv.2021.146488
32. Gao, M., B. Guo, L. Li and Y. Liu (2021). "Role of syntrophic acetate oxidation and hydrogenotrophic methanogenesis in co-digestion of blackwater with food waste." Journal of Cleaner Production 283: 125393. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jclepro.2020.125393
31. Zhang, L., A. Mou, B. Guo, H. Sun, M. N. Anwar and Y. Liu (2021). "Simultaneous Phosphorus Recovery in Energy Generation Reactor (SPRING): High Rate Thermophilic Blackwater Treatment." Resources, Conservation and Recycling 164: 105163. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.resconrec.2020.105163
30. Zhang, Y., B. Guo, L. Zhang, H. Zhang and Y. Liu (2021). "Microbial community dynamics in granular activated carbon enhanced up-flow anaerobic sludge blanket (UASB) treating municipal sewage under sulfate reducing and psychrophilic conditions." Chemical Engineering Journal 405: 126957. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cej.2020.126957
29. Guo, B., Y. Zhang, N. Yu and Y. Liu (2021). "Impacts of conductive materials on microbial community during syntrophic propionate oxidization for biomethane recovery." Water Environ Res 93(1): 84-93. https://doi.org/10.1002/wer.1357
28. Zhou, Y., B. Guo, J. Mao and S. Xia (2021). "Key role of soluble microbial products in waste activated sludge reduction by synergetic combination of cocoamidopropyl betaine and alkalinity in the short-time aerobic digestion system." J Hazard Mater 408: 124930. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhazmat.2020.124930
27. Zhou, Y., R. Li, B. Guo, N. Yu, S. Xia and Y. Liu (2021). "Lumen air pressure (LAP) affecting greywater treatment in an oxygen-based membrane biofilm reactor (O2-MBfR)." Chemosphere 270: 129541. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chemosphere.2021.129541