Dr Carol Crean
Carol received a BSc (Hons) in Chemistry with German in 1997 and a PhD in Chemistry in 2002, both from Dublin City University (DCU), Ireland. After a short post-doctoral position at the National Centre for Sensor Research (DCU) she worked as a Research Fellow with Professor Gordon Wallace in the Intelligent Polymer Research Institute at the University of Wollongong, Australia. With the support of a Marie Curie Reintegration Grant she returned to DCU in 2008 to work with Professor Richard O'Kennedy as a Research Fellow at the Biomedical Diagnostics Institute. Carol commenced her position as a Lecturer in Physical/Materials Chemistry at the University of Surrey in 2011.
Her research interests include:
- Functionalising organic conductors such as carbon nanotubes and conducting polymers for applications including sensors and in the area of bionics
- Materials development for diagnostics
- Improving immunosensor performance using organic conductors
- Improving the biocompatibility of organic conductors
- Dr. Niamh Gilmartin and Professor Richard O'Kennedy, Dublin City University, Ireland.
- Dr. Emer Lahiff and Professor Dermot Diamond, Dublin City University, Ireland.
- Professor Gordon Wallace, University of Wollongong, Australia.
- Associate Professor Andrew Minett, University of Sydney, Australia.
Dr Crean is scheduled to teach or demonstrate on the following modules
CHE1030 - Introduction to Analytical ChemistryCHE1031 - Transferable & Quantitative Skills ICHE2030 - Intermediate Analytical ChemistryCHE2025 - Intermediate Physical ChemistryCHE2026, CHEM021 - Spectroscopy
Senior Professional Training Tutor
Contact the press team
Phone: +44 (0)1483 684380 / 688914 / 684378
Out-of-hours: +44 (0)7773 479911
Senate House, University of Surrey
Guildford, Surrey GU2 7XH
CHE1038 Industrial Chemistry
CHE2025 Intermediate Physical Chemistry
CHE2030 Intermediate Analytical Chemistry
CHE3052 Topics in Polymer Chemistry
CHEM031 Advanced Polymer Materials and Nanotechnology
ENGM103 Characterisation of Advanced Materials
Courses I teach on
Postgraduate research supervision
Completed postgraduate research projects I have supervised
Some are available (free pre-publisher versions) on the Chemical Sciences section of Surrey Scholarship on-line.