Dr Judy Lee
- 2021: Reader,Chemical and Process Engineering, Surrey University
- 2015-2020: Senior Lecturer, Chemical and Process Engineering, Surrey University
- 2012-2015: DECRA Postdoctoral Fellow (Assistant Lecturer), Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering, Melbourne University, Australia
- 2010-2012: Postdoctoral Fellow, Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering, Melbourne University, Australia
- 2007-2009: JSPS Postdoctoral Fellow, Advanced Industrial Science and Technology (AIST), Japan
- 2006-2007: Postdoctoral Fellow School of Chemistry, Melbourne University, Australia
Areas of specialism
- Acoustic cavitation: Bubble dynamics, Sonoluminescence, Bubble Coalescence, Surfactants etc.
- Ultrasonic processing/synthesis: Crystallisation, Dairy Materials, Wastewater treatment, Emulsions, Nanoparticles, Microspheres etc.
- Membrane filtration: Wastewater treatment and recycling, nano/micro plastic remediation, Dairy whey etc.
Affiliations and memberships
British Association for Crystal Growth (BACG)
European Membrane Society (EMS)
Associate Member of School on Advanced Oxidation Processes
- HTC Process Water treatment for the design and improvement of a renewable fuel production process (60% Funded by Antaco) (PhD)
- The application of osmotically driven membrane processes for the concentration of dairy liquid waste streams (PhD)
- Application of advanced oxidation assisted processes for industrial wastewater treatment (PhD)
- Functional membranes for biofouling remediation and nano/micro plastic removal (50% funded by Deakin University) (PhD)
- Ultrasound stimulated crystallisation of functional materials (Surrey/NPL studentship) (PhD).
- Adding value to wastewater treatment-ultrasound enhanced crystallisation: Project leader
- Acoustic cavitation dynamics and its applications in the production of functional microbubbles: Project leader
- The removal of trace contaminants from water using reverse osmosis and nanofiltration membranes: Co-supervisor of 1 PhD student (Ms Kezia Kezia)
- The experimental study and theoretical analysis of cavitation bubble movement and coalescence in ultrasound field: Co-supervisor of 1 PhD student (Mr Junjie (Jack) Jiao)
- Ultrasonic processing of dairy ingredients to control aggregation and promote heat stability: Postdoc
- Solute and water transport through membranes for desalination and water reuse: Postdoc.
"Sound" methods of remediating emerging contaminants in hospital wastewater (Dec 2019-Dec 2022 Value £215k). In collaboration with Prof. Ricardo Torres Palma from University of Antioquia.
Adding value to wastewater treatment - ultrasound enhanced crystallisation (Duration Mar 2012 - Feb 2015 Value AUS $404k)
- NPL, UK
- Antaco, UK
- High Weald Dairy, UK.
- Nottingham University, Malaysia
- Deakin University, Australia
- University of Antioquia, Colombia
- Universite de Franche-Comte, France
- Melbourne University, Australia
- AIST, Japan
- Zaragoza University, Spain
- Porto University, Portugal.
Indicators of esteem
Invited conference presentations
Keynote Speaker: “Membrane filtration of complex water and wastewaters”, 10th International Membrane Science and Technology Conference, Sydney, Australia (2-6th February, 2020).
Keynote Speaker: “A short-cut method for quantifying the effective transmembrane pressure for a system with significant concentration polarisation”, Membrane Society of Australia Early Career Researcher Membrane Symposium, Sydney, Australia (1-2nd February, 2020).
Invited Speaker: “Correlation of cavitation activity with sonocrystallisation” 3rd Asia-Oceania Sonochemical Society Conference, Chennai, India (14-16th Sep 2017).
Plenary Speaker: “Importance of solution and sonication conditions on sonocrystallisation” 16th Meeting of the European Society of Sonochemistry, Besancon, France (15th -19h Apr, 2018).
Invited Speaker: “A “Sound” Method of Inducing Crystallisation”, Ultrasonics 2016, Caparica, Portugal (6-8th Jun 2016).
Invited Speaker: “A “Sound” Method of Inducing Crystallisation”, NPL Cavitation User Forum at AFPA Conference, Croydon, UK (13-15th Jan 2016).
Invited Speaker: “Application of Ultrasound for Crystallization and Nanoparticle Deposition onto Surfaces”, Pacifichem 2015, Hawaii, USA (15-20th Dec 2015).
2012 Australian Research Council's Discovery Early Career Research Award (DECRA)
2007 Japan Society of Promotional Science Fellowship (JSPS).
Editorial Board Member for Journal of Ultrasonics Sonochemistry
Guest Editor for a Special Issue of Crystals: "Advances in Ultrasound Stimulated Crystallization"
Guest Editor for a Special Issue of Journal of Water Process Engineering: "Microplastics-fate in wastewater treatment plant and impact on biology, processes and materials."
- 23 Jan 2019: Prof. Kenneth Suslick, University of Illinois (76th George Eastman Visiting Prof. at Oxford), Seminar 11am LT M, The Chemical History of a Bubble: Sonochemsitry & Sonoluminecence.
- 23 Apr - 29 Jun 2018: Ms Riyane Zemouri (Erasmus Student), IUT Besancon, France.
- 1 Jun 2018: Prof. Neppolian Bernaurdshaw, SRM Institute of Science and Technology, Seminar 11.30am 30BB03, Sono(Photo)Catalysis: Environmental Redmediation
- 27 Aug 2017: Dr. Colin Scholes, University of Melbourne, Seminar 12 noon 13BB04, Helium separation - potential for membranes
- 14 Aug - 12 Oct 2017: Dr. George Chen (Victoria Fellowship Recipient), University of Melbourne
- 24 Apr - 30 Jun 2017: Ms Gaelle Varlet (Erasmus Student), IUT Besancon, France.
- 8 Feb 2017: Prof. Gareth Price, University of Bath, Seminar 12 noon TB14, Chemistry at Ultrasonic Frequencies - using ultrasound to produce new materials.
- 26 Oct 2016: Dr. Chris Price, University of Strathclyde, Seminar 12 noon, TB14, Crystallizing and isolating pharmaceuticals: Addressing some off the remaining challenges.
- 11 Apr-17th Jun: Ms Manon Roberts (Erasmus Student), IUT Besancon France.
- 12-13 Nov 2015: Dr. Ludovic Dumee, University of Deakin, Seminar: 3pm, 21AC03, Nano-porous metal materials - A review
- 2 Oct 2015: Prof. Sivakumar Manickam, University of Nottingham, Seminar: 11am, 21AC03, Cavitation Technology-A rapid and novel way of generating nanomaterials and nanoemulsions
- 21-25 Sep 2015: Ms Kezia Kezia (PhD student), University of Melbourne
- 16-17 Apr 2015: Mr Bao Lin (PhD student), Deakin University.
We welcome all inquires from prospective students, PhD students and postdoctoral fellows.
Potential high-calibre applicants that are interested in our research areas are encouraged to consider applying to various scholarships or fellowships. For further information please contact Dr. Judy Lee.
Postgraduate research supervision
Principal PhD supervisions
Rosalind Fomin (Jan 2021 - ): Fouling behaviour of a MBR system and the impact of different cleaning operations (50% Funded by MSE Hiller)
Mehrdad Zare (Oct 2020 - ): Novel methods of remediating emerging contaminants in wastewater.
George Ezeanaka (Oct 2019 - ): “Sound” methods of remediating emerging contaminants in hospital wastewater.
Bethany Campbell (Jul 2018 - ): HTC Process Water treatment for the design and improvement of a renewable fuel production process (60% Funded by Antaco).
Co-supervision of PhD students
Cyril Hachemi (Jan 2020 - ): Comprehensive understanding of the impact of microplastics on Membrane Bioreactors (50% funded by Deakin University).
Oliver Crossley (Oct 2017- ): Removal and recovery of inorganic components from hydrothermal carbonisation process water (50% Funded by Antaco).
Timothy Sidnell (Oct 2018- ): Ultrasonic degradation of Per- and Polyfluoroalkyl Substances.
Completed postgraduate research projects I have supervised
Dr. Marie Enfrin (Oct 2017-March 2021 ): Membrane fouling by nano/microplastics: origin mechanisms and mitigation strategies (50% funded by Deakin University).
Dr. Anna Artemi (Jul 2017-March 2021 ): Forward Osmosis for the concentration of liquid streams in the food industry: insights into concentration polarisation and critical flux.
Dr. Pello Alfonso Muniozguren (April 2017- April 2020 ): Advanced Oxidation Processes for the Treatment of Real Slaughterhouse Wastewater After a Biological Treatment.
Dr. Silvia Nalesso (July 2016- July 2019) Antisolvent and Reactive Crystallisation under variations of Ultrasound Parameters: Effects and Comparisons (Surrey/NPL studentship).
Dr. Richard Wood (2016-2019 ): The effects of fluid flow and surface stabilisation on sonoluminescence and sonochemistry
Dr. Kezia Kezia (2013 -2016): The removal of trace contaminants from water using reverse osmosis and nanofiltration membranes.
Dr. Junjie (Jack) Jiao (2011 - 2014): The experimental study and theoretical analysis of cavitation bubble movement and coalescence in ultrasound field.
- Mass and Energy Balance (ENG1081)
- Heat Transfer and Laboratories (ENG2121)
- Supervision of MEng and MSc Research Projects.
- Director of Learning and Teaching
- Year 2 Level Coordinator.
Past teaching and duties
- Year 1 transferable skills (presentations)
- Year 2 laboratory coordinator
- Summer School coordinator
- Exam Officer.
Current PhD/MEng students
- Bethany Campbell (PhD)
- Pello Alfonso Muniozguren (PhD)
- Marie Enfrin (PhD)
- Silvia Nalesso (PhD)
- Anna Artemi (PhD)
- Oliver Crossley (PhD)
- Timothy Sidnell (PhD)
Past PhD/MEng students
- Nikolina Pieri (MEng 2018/2019)
- Dylan Dhinsa (MEng 2018/2019)
- Umar Ahmed (MEng 2018/2019)
- Isuru Umayanga (MEng 2018/2019)
- Anna Currington (MEng 2017/2018))
- Ben Fowler (MEng 2017/2018))
- Mod Bohari (MEng 2017/2018))
- Nadhirah Muhammad Fithri (MEng 2017/2018))
- Yaseen Mohammed (MEng 2017/2018))
- Tajwarul Huda (MEng 2017/2018)
- Anna Artemi (MEng 2016/2017)
- Florentia Zorba (MEng 2016/2017)
- Gobind Sian (MEng 2016/2017)
- Bertie Traill (MEng 2016/2017)
- Mohammad Sikandar Rana (MEng 2016/2017)
- Alex Joseph (MEng 2016/2017)
- Sean Wong (MEng, 2015/2016)
- Hugo Currell (MEng, 2015/2016).
- Richard Woods (PhD, 2019)
- Matthew Prescott (MEng, 2015/2016)
- James Mitchell (MEng, 2015/2016)
- Kezia Kezia (PhD, 2016)
- Junjie (Jack) Jiao (PhD, 2015).
Courses I teach on
- O. P. Crossley, R. B. Thorpe, D. Peus and J. Lee, " The effect of salinity on the pressure susceptibility of the NF270 membrane" 2021, Under Review
- M. Enfrin, C. Hachemi, D. L. Callahan, J. Lee, and L. F. Dumée, "Membrane fouling by nanofibres and organic contaminants – mechanisms and mitigation via periodic cleaning strategies", 2021, Under Review.
- P. Alfonso-Muniozguren, E. A. Serna-Galvis, M. Bussemaker, R. A. Torres-Palma, and J. Lee, "A Review on Pharmaceuticals Removal from Waters by the Hybrid Biological, Membrane Filtration and Ultrasound Systems", 2021 Under Review
- S. Nalesso, G. Varlet, M. J. Bussemaker, R. P. Sear, M. Hodnett, R. Monteagudo-Oliván, V. Sebastián, J. Coronas and J. Lee, " Sonocrystallisation of ZIF-8 in water with high excess of ligand: effects of frequency, power and sonication time", Ultrasonic Sonochem., 2021 Accepted
- M. A. Uriakhil, T. Sidnell, A. De Castro, J. Lee, I. Ross, and M. Bussemaker. "Per-and poly-fluoroalkyl substance remediation from soil and sorbents: a review of adsorption behaviour and ultrasonic treatment." Chemosphere, 2021, 131025.
- M. Enfrin, C. Hachemi, P. D. Hodgson, V. Jegatheesan, J. Vrouwenvelder, D. L. Callahan, J. Lee, and L. F. Dumée. "Nano/micro plastics–Challenges on quantification and remediation: A review." J. Water Process Eng., 2021, 42 , 102128.
- M. Enfrin, J. Lee, A. G. Fane and L. F. Dumée, "Mitigation of membrane particulate fouling by nano/microplastics via physical cleaning strategies" Sci. Total Environ. 2021, 788, 147689.
- M. Enfrin, J. Wang, A. Merenda, L. F. Dumée and J. Lee, "Mitigation of membrane fouling by nano/microplastics via surface chemistry control", J. Mem. Sci. 2021, 633, 119379
- A. L. Camargo-Perea, E. A. Serna-Galvis, J. Lee and R. A. Torres-Palma, " Understanding the effects of mineral water matrix on degradation of several pharmaceuticals by ultrasound: Influence of chemical structure and concentration of pollutants", Ultrasonic Sonochem. 2021, 73, 105500
- P. Alfonso-Muniozguren, A. I. Gomes, D. Saroj, V. J. P. Vilar and J. Lee, "The role of ozone combined with UVC/H2O2 process for the tertiary treatment of a real slaughterhouse wastewater", J. Environ. Manage, 2021, 289, 112480
- A. Artemi, G. Chen, S. E. Kentish and J. Lee, "The relevance of critical flux concept in the concentration of skim milk using forward osmosis and reverse osmosis ", J. Mem. Sci., 2020, 611, 118357
- A. Artemi, G. Chen, S. E. Kentish and J. Lee, "Pilot-scale concentration of cheese whey by forward osmosis: a short-cut method for evaluating the effective pressure driving force", J. Sep. Purif, 2020, 250, 117263
- P. Alfonso-Muniozguren, S. Cotillas, R. A.R. Boaventura, F.C. Moreira, J. Lee, V. J.P. Vilar, "Single and combined electrochemical oxidation driven processes for the treatment of slaughterhouse wastewater", J. Clean. Prod., 2020, 270, 121858
- M. Enfrin, J. Lee, P. Le-Clech and L. Dumee, "Kinetic and mechanistic aspects of ultrafiltration membrane fouling by nano- and microplastics", J. Membrane Sci., 2020, 601, 117890
- P. Alfonso-Muniozguren, M.H. Bohari, A. Sicilia, C. Avignone-Rossa, M. Bussemaker, D. Saroj, J. Lee, "Tertiary Treatment of Real Abattoir Wastewater using Combined Acoustic Cavitation and Ozonation" Ultrason. Sonochem, 2020, 64, 104986
- O. P. Crossley, R. B. Thorpe, D. Peus and J. Lee, "Phosphorus recovery from process waste water made by the hydrothermal carbonisation of spent coffee grounds", Bioresour. Technol., 2020, 301, 122664
- J. Lee, L. Hallez, F. Touyeras, A. Nevers, M. Ashokkumar and J.-Y., Hihn “"Influence of frequency sweep on sonochemiluminescence and sonoluminescence." Ultrason. Sonochem., 2020, 64, 105047.
- M. Enfrin, J. Lee, Y. Gibert, F. Basheer, L. Kong and L. F. Dumee, "Release of hazardous nanoplastic contaminants due to microplastics fragmentation under various shear stress forces" Journal of Hazardous Materials, 2020, 384, 121393
- V. J.P. Vilar, P. Alfonso-Muniozguren, J. P. Monteiro, J. Lee, S. M. Miranda and R. A.R. Boaventura, "Tube-in-Tube Membrane Microreactor for Photochemical UVC/H2O2 Processes: A Proof of Concept", Chem. Eng. J., 2020, 379, 122341
- R. J. Wood, T. Sidnell, I. Ross, J. McDonough, J. Lee, and M. J. Bussemaker. "Ultrasonic degradation of perfluorooctane sulfonic acid (PFOS) correlated with sonochemical and sonoluminescence characterisation." Ultrason. Sonochem. 2020, 68, 105196.
- R. Wood, C. Vévert,J. Lee and M. J. Bussemaker, "Flow effects on phenol degradation and sonoluminescence at different ultrasonic frequencies", Ultrason. Sonochem. 2020, 63, 104892
- M. Enfrin, L. F. Dumee , J. Lee, "Nano/microplastics in water and wastewater treatment processes - origin, impact and potential solutions", Water Res., 2019, 161, 621
- R. Wood, J. Lee and M. J. Bussemaker, "Disparities between sonoluminescence, sonochemiluminescence and dosimetry with frequency variation under flow", Ultrason. Sonochem. 2019, 58, 104645
- S. Nalesso, M. Bussemaker, R. Sear, M. Hodnett, J. Lee, " A review on possible mechanisms of sonocrystallisation in solution", Ultrason. Sonochem. 2019, 57, 125
- G. Q. Chen, A. Artemi, J. Lee, Sally L. Gras, S. E. Kentish, " A pilot scale study on the concentration of milk and whey by forward osmosis", Sep. Purif. Technol., 2019, 215, 652.
- S. Nalesso, M. Bussemaker, R. Sear, M. Hodnett, J. Lee, " Development of sodium chloride crystal size during antisolvent crystallization under different sonication modes", Cryst. Growth Des., 2019, 19, 141.
- V. Gonzales, R. Wood, J. Lee, S. Taylor, M. Bussemarker, "Ultrasound-enhanced hair dye application for natural dyeing formulations", Ultrason. Sonochem. 2019, 52, 294
- J. Lee, S.Yang, "Antisolvent sonocrystallisation of sodium chloride and the evaluation of ultrasound energy using modified classical nucleation theory", Crystals, 2018, 8, 320.
- W. Li, F.M. Allioux, J. Lee, M. Ashokkumar, L. F. Dumee, "Ultrasound-assisted fabrication of metal nano-porous shells across polymer beads and their catalytic activity for reduction of 4-nitrophenol", Ultrason. Sonochem. 2018, 49, 63.
- P. Alfonso-Muniozguren, J. Lee, M. Bussemaker, R. Chadeesingh, C. Jones, D. Oakley and D. Saroj, "A combined activated sludge-filtration-ozonation process for abattoir wastewater treatment", J. Water Process Eng. 2018, 25, 157.
- J. Lee, K. Yasui, M. Ashokkumar, S. E. Kentish, "Quantification of cavitation activity by sonoluminescence to study the sonocrystallisation process under different ultrasound parameters", Cryst. Growth Des., 2018, 18, 5180.
- M. Prescott, J. Mitchell, S. Totti, J. Lee, E. Velliou and M. Bussemaker, "Sonodynamic therapy combined with novel anti-cancer agents, sanguinarine and ginger root extract: Synergistic increase in toxicity in presence of PANC-1 cells in vitro", Ultrason. Sonochem. 2018, 40, 72-80.
- R. Wood, J. Lee and M. J. Bussemaker, "A parametric review of sonochemistry: control and augmentation of sonochemical activity in aqueous solutions", Ultrason. Sonochem., 2017, 38, 351-370.
- K. Kezia, J. Lee, B. Zisu, G. Chen, S. L. Gras and S.E. Kentish, " Solubility of calcium phosphate in concentrated dairy effluent brines", J. Agri. Food Chem., 2017, 65, 4027-4034.
- K. Kezia, J. Lee, B. Zisu, M. Weeks, G. Chen, S. Gras and S. Kentish, “Crystallisation of minerals from concentrated saline dairy effluent”, Water Res., 2016, 101, 300-308.
- S. K. Bhangu, M. Ashokkumar, and J. Lee, "Ultrasound assisted crystallization of paracetamol: Crystal size distribution and polymorph control" Cryst. Growth Des., 2016, 16, 1934-1941.
- O. Ojajuni, S. Holder, G. Cavalli, J. Lee, and D. P. Saroj, "Rejection of caffeine and carbamazepine by surface-coated PVDF hollow-fiber membrane system", Ind. Eng. Chem. Res., 2016, 55, 2417-2425.
- L. Hallez, J. Lee, F. Touyeras, A. Nevers, M. Ashokkumar and J., Hihn “Enhancement and quenching of high-intensity focused ultrasound cavitation activity via short frequency sweep range” Ultrason. Sonochem., Ultrason. Sonochem, 2016, 29, 194-197.
- R. Pflieger, J. Lee, S. Nikitenko and M. Ashokkuma, "Influence of He and Ar flowrate and NaCl concentration on the size distribution of bubbles generated by power ultrasound" J. Phys. Chem. B, 2015, 119, 12682-12688.
- K. Kezia, J. Lee, M. Weeks and S. E. Kentish “Direct contact membrane distillation for the concentration of saline dairy effluent”, Water Research, 2015, 81, 167-177
- J. Jiao, Y. He, S. E. Kentish, M. Ashokkumar, R. Manasseh and J. Lee, “Experimental and theoretical analysis of secondary Bjerknes forces between two bubbles in a standing wave”, Ultrasonics, 2015, 58, 35-42.
- J. Jiao, Y. He, K. Yasui, S. E. Kentish, M. Ashokkumar, R. Manasseh and J. Lee, “Influence of acoustic pressure and bubble sizes on the coalescence of two contacting bubbles in an acoustic field”, Ultrason. Sonochem, 2015, 22, 70-77.
- K. Kezia, J. Lee, W. Ogieglo, A. J. Hill, N. E. Benes and S. E. Kentish, “The transport of hydronium and hydroxide ions through reverse osmosis membranes” J. Membrane Sci., 2014, 459, 197-206.
- J. Lee, M. Ashokkumar and S. E. Kentish, “Influence of mixing and ultrasound frequency on antisolvent crystallisation of sodium chloride”, Ultrason. Sonochem, 2014, 21 (1), 60-68.
- J. Jiao, Y. He, T. Leong, S. E. Kentish, M. Ashokkumar, R. Manasseh and J. Lee, “Experimental and theoretical studies on the movements of two bubbles in an acoustic standing wave field”, J. Phys. Chem. B, 2013, 117, 12549-12555.
- K. Kezia, J. Lee, A. J. Hill and S. E. Kentish, “Convective transport of boron through a brackish water reverse osmosis membrane”, J. Membrane Sci., 2013, 445, 160-169.
- J. Lee, A. J. Hill and S. Kentish, “Formation of a thick aromatic polyamide membrane by interfacial polymerisation”, Sep. Purif. Technol., 2013, 104, 276-283.
- L. Dumée, J. Lee, K. Sears, B. Tardy, M. Duke and S. Gray, “Fabrication of thin film composite poly(amide)-carbon-nanotube supported membranes for enhanced performance in osmotically driven desalination systems”, J. Membrane Sci., 2013, 427, 422-430.
- J. Lee, C. M. Doherty, A. J. Hill and S. E. Kentish, “Water vapour sorption and free volume in the aromatic polyamide layer of reverse osmosis membranes”, J. Membrane Sci., 2013, 425-426, 217-226.
- J. Lee, M. Ashokkumar, K. Yasui, T. Tuziuti, T. Kozuka, A. Towata and Y. Iida, “ Development and optimization of acoustic bubble structures at high frequencies”, Ultrason. Sonochem, 2011, 18(1), 92-98.
- A. Towata, J. Lee, K.Yasui, T. Tuziuti, T. Kozuka and Y. Iida, “Fabrication of silver nanoparticles deposited on boehmite sol for surface enhanced Raman scattering”, Appl. Surf. Sci., 2011, 257 (14), 6010-6015.
- B. Zisu, J. Lee, J. Chandrapala, R. Bhaskaracharya, M. Palmer, S. Kentish and M. Ashokkumar “Effect of ultrasound on the physical and functional properties of reconstituted whey protein powders” J. Dairy Res., 2011, 78, 1-8.
- J. Lee, I. U. Vakarelski, K. Yasui, T. Tuziuti, T. Kozuka, A. Towata and Y. Iida, “Variations in the spatial distribution of sonoluminescing bubbles in the presence of an ionic surfactant and electrolyte”, J. Phys. Chem. B, 2010, 114(8), 2572-2577
- M. Ashokkumar, J. Lee, Y. Iida, K. Yasui, T. Kozuka, T. Tuziuti and A. Towata, “Spatial distribution of acoustic cavitation bubbles at different ultrasound frequencies” Chem. Phys. Chem., 2010, 11(8) 1680-1684.
- M. Ashokkumar, R. Bhaskaracharya, S. Kentish, J. Lee, M. Palmer and B. Zisu “The ultrasonic processing of dairy products- An overview” Dairy Sci. Technol., 2010, 90(2-3) 147-168
- Y. Iida, M. Ashokkumar, T. Tuziuti, T. Kozuka, K. Yasui, A. Towata and J. Lee, “Bubble population phenomena in sonochemical reactor: I Estimation of bubble size distribution and its number density with pulsed sonication-laser diffraction method”, Ultrason. Sonochem, 2010, 17, 473-479.
- Y. Iida, M. Ashokkumar, T. Tuziuti, T. Kozuka, K. Yasui, A. Towata and J. Lee, “Bubble population phenomena in sonochemical reactor: II Estimation of bubble size distribution and its number density by simple coalescence model”, Ultrason. Sonochem., 2010, 17(2), 480-486.
- K. Yasui, T. Tuziuti, J. Lee, T. Kozuka, A. Towata and Y. Iida, “Numerical simulations of acoustic cavitation noise with the temporal fluctuation in the number of bubbles”, Ultrason. Sonochem., 2010, 17(2), 460-472.
- T. Kozuka, K. Yasui, S. Hatanaka, T. Tuziuti, J. Lee, and A. Towata, “Study of an acoustic field in a microchannel” Jpn. J. Appl. Phys., 2010, 49, 07HE141-2.
- M. Ashokkumar, J. Lee, Y. Iida, K. Yasui, T. Kozuka, T. Tuziuti and A. Towata, “The Detection and Control of Stable and Transient Acoustic Cavitation bubbles” J. Phys. Chem. Chem. Phys., 2009, 11, 10118-10121.
- M. Ashokkumar, J. Lee, B. Zisu, R. Bhaskaracharya, M. Palmer and S. Kentish “ Sonication Increases the Heat Stability of Whey Proteins” Hot topic in J. Dairy Sci., 2009, 92, 5353-5356.
- Y. Iida and J. Lee, “Protein microbubbles: Ultrasonic fabrication, chemical treatment and their characterization” Materials Integration (Japanese), 2009, 22 (6), 30-34.
- Y. Iida, J. Lee, T. Kozuka, K. Yasui, A. Towata and T. Tuziuti, “Optical cavitation probe using light scattering from bubble clouds”, Ultrason. Sonochem., 2009, 16 (4), 519-524.
- K. Yasui, T. Tuziuti, J. Lee, T. Kozuka, A. Towata and Y. Iida, “Influence of the bubble-bubble interaction on encapsulated microbubbles under ultrasound” J. Acoust. Soc. Am, 2009, 126 (3), 973-982.
- T. Tuziuti, K. Yasui, J. Lee, T. Kozuka, A. Towata and Y. Iida, “Influence of surface active solute on ultrasonic waveform distortion in liquid containing air bubbles” J. Phys. Chem. A., 2009, 113 (31) 8893-8900.
- J. Lee, K. Yasui, T. Tuziuti, T. Kozuka, A. Towata and Y. Iida, “Spatial distribution enhancement of sonoluminescence activity by altering sonication and solution conditions, J. Phys. Chem. B. 2008, 112 (48), 15333-15341
- K. Yasui, T. Tuziuti, J. Lee, T. Kozuka, A. Towata and Y. Iida, “The range of ambient radius for an active bubble in sonoluminescence and sonochemical reactions” J. Chem. Phys., 2008, 128 (18), 184705
- T. Tuziuti, K. Yasui, J. Lee, T. Kozuka, A. Towata and Y. Iida, “Mechanism of enhancement of sonochemical-reaction efficiency by pulsed ultrasound”, J. Phys. Chem. A., 2008, 112 (22), 4875-4878.
- I. U. Vakarelski, J. Lee, R. R. Dagastine, D. Y. C. Chan, G. W. Steven and F. Grieser, “Bubble colloidal AFM probes formed from ultrasonically generated bubbles” Langmuir, 2008, 24 (3), 603-605.
- J. Lee, T. Tuziuti, K. Yasui, S. Kentish, F. Grieser, M. Ashokkumar and Y. Iida, “Influence of surface-active solutes on the coalescence, clustering and fragmentation of acoustic bubbles confined in a microspace” J. Phys. Chem. C, 2007, 111 (51) 19015-19023.
- M. Ashokkumar, J. Lee, S. Kentish and F. Grieser “Bubbles in an ultrasonic field: An overview” Ultrason. Sonochem., 2007, 14(4) 470-475
- J. Lee, S. Kentish, M. Ashokkumar, and F. Grieser “Effect of Alcohols on the Initial Growth of Multibubble Sonoluminescence” J. Phys. Chem. B, 2006, 110 (34), 17282-17285
- S. Kentish, J. Lee, M. Davidson and M. Ashokkumar “The dissolution of a stationary spherical bubble beneath a flat plate” Chem. Eng. Sci., 2006, 61(23), 7697-7705
- J. Lee, S. Kentish and M. Ashokkumar, “The Effect of Surface-Active Solutes on Bubble Coalescence in the Presence of Ultrasound” J. Phys. Chem. B, 2005, 109(11), 5095-5099.
- J. Lee, S. Kentish, T.J. Matula and M. Ashokkumar, “Effect of surfactants on inertial cavitation activity in a pulsed acoustic field” J. Phys. Chem. B, 2005, 109 (35), 16860-16865.
- J. Lee, S. Kentish and M. Ashokkumar "Effect of surfactants on the rate of growth of an air bubble by rectified diffusion" J. Phys. Chem. B, 2005, 109(30), 14595-14598.
- J. Lee, M. Ashokkumar, S. Kentish and F. Grieser “Determination of the Size Distribution of Sonoluminescing Bubbles in a Pulsed Acoustic Field” J. Am. Chem. Soc., 2005, 127 (48), 16810-16811.
- C. M. Doherty, J. I. Mardel, A. J. Hill, J. Lee, G. Q. Chen, S. E. Kentish, H. Ju, J. E. McGrath, W. Xie, G. M. Geise, D. R. Paul and B. D. Freeman, “Dynamic porosity and transport properties of membrane materials”, 244th National Fall Meeting of the American-Chemical-Society, Philadelphia, USA, 19th -23rd August, (2012).
- J. Lee, A. Widjaya, A. Hill and S. Kentish, “Determination of Water Vapor Sorption and Some Transport Parameters for the Aromatic Polyamide Layer of RO Membranes”, AWA Membranes and Desalination Specialty Conference IV, Gold Coast, Australia, 8-10th February (2011), 1-4.
- E. A. Serna-Galvis, J. Lee, F. Hernández, A. M. Botero-Coy, and R. A. Torres-Palma. "Sonochemical Advanced Oxidation Processes for the Removal of Pharmaceuticals" in Wastewater Effluents : Springer, Berlin, Heidelberg, 2020, p. 1-33.
- J. Lee, S. E. Kentish, G. Q. Chen, "The use of ultrasound in the recovery of food materials: Sonocrystallization and Membrane Processing" Reference Module in Food Science, Elsevier, 2020.
- J. Lee, "Importance of sonication and solution conditions on the acoustic cavitation activity" In: M. Ashokkumar e.d. Handbook of Ultrasonics and Sonochemistry, Springer Science and Business Media, Singapore, 2016, p.137-175.
- M. Ashokkumar, S. Kentish, J. Lee, B. Zisu, P. Martin and M. A. Augustin, "Processing of dairy ingredients by ultrasonication" WO2009/079691 A1