- 2015-Present: Senior Lecturer, Chemical and Process Engineering, Surrey University
- 2012-2015: DECRA Postdoctoral Fellow (Assistant Lecturer), Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering, Melbourne University, Australia
- 2010-2012: Postdoctoral Fellow, Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering, Melbourne University, Australia
- 2007-2009: JSPS Postdoctoral Fellow, Advanced Industrial Science and Technology (AIST), Japan
- 2006-2007: Postdoctoral Fellow School of Chemistry, Melbourne University, Australia
Areas of specialism
Acoustic Cavitation: Bubble dynamics, Sonoluminescence, Bubble Coalescence, Surfactants etc.;
Ultrasonic Processing/Synthesis: Crystallisation, Dairy Materials, Emulsions, Nanoparticles, Microspheres etc.;
Membrane Filtration: Waste water treatment and recycling, nano/micro plastic remediation, Dairy whey etc.
Affiliations and memberships
British Association for Crystal Growth (BACG)
European Membrane Society (EMS)
Current Research Projects
- HTC Process Water treatment for the design and improvement of a renewable fuel production process (60% Funded by Antaco) (PhD)
- The application of osmotically driven membrane processes for the concentration of dairy liquid waste streams (PhD)
- Application of advanced oxidation assisted processes for industrial wastewater treatment (PhD)
- Functional membranes for biofouling remediation and nano/micro plastic removal (50% funded by Deakin University) (PhD)
- Ultrasound stimulated crystallisation of functional materials (Surrey/NPL studentship) (PhD)
- Correlating cavitation activity with sonocrystallisation of lactose and paracetamol (MEng)
- Removal of inorganic sulphide using ultrasound (MEng)
- Sono-synthesis and characterisation of protein-shelled microbubbles (MEng)
Past Research Projects
- Adding value to wastewater treatment-ultrasound enhanced crystallisation: Project leader
- Acoustic cavitation dynamics and its applications in the production of functional microbubbles: Project leader
- The removal of trace contaminants from water using reverse osmosis and nanofiltration membranes: Co-supervisor of 1 PhD student (Ms Kezia Kezia)
- The experimental study and theoretical analysis of cavitation bubble movement and coalescence in ultrasound field: Co-supervisor of 1 PhD student (Mr Junjie (Jack) Jiao)
- Ultrasonic processing of dairy ingredients to control aggregation and promote heat stability: Postdoc
- Solute and water transport through membranes for desalination and water reuse: Postdoc
- NPL, UK
- Antaco, UK
- High Weald Dairy, UK
- Deakin University, Australia
- Universite de Franche-Comte, France
- Melbourne University, Australia
- AIST, Japan
- Zaragoza University, Spain
- Porto University, Portugal
Indicators of esteem
Invited Conference Presentations
- Invited Speaker: “Correlation of cavitation activity with sonocrystallisation” 3rd Asia-Oceania Sonochemical Society Conference, Chennai, India (14-16th Sep 2017).
- Plenary Speaker: “Importance of solution and sonication conditions on sonocrystallisation” 16th Meeting of the European Society of Sonochemistry, Besancon, France (15th -19h Apr, 2018).
- Invited Speaker: “A “Sound” Method of Inducing Crystallisation”, Ultrasonics 2016, Caparica, Portugal (6-8th Jun 2016).
- Invited Speaker: “A “Sound” Method of Inducing Crystallisation”, NPL Cavitation User Forum at AFPA Conference, Croydon, UK (13-15th Jan 2016).
- Invited Speaker: “Application of Ultrasound for Crystallization and Nanoparticle Deposition onto Surfaces”, Pacifichem 2015, Hawaii, USA (15-20th Dec 2015).
- 2012 Australian Research Council's Discovery Early Career Research Award (DECRA)
- 2007 Japan Society of Promotional Science Fellowship (JSPS)
- Editorial Board Member for Journal of Ultrasonics Sonochemistry
- Guest Editor for a Special Issue of Crystals: "Advances in Ultrasound Stimulated Crystallization"
- 23rd Apr-29th Jun 2018: Ms Riyane Zemouri (Erasmus Student), IUT Besancon, France.
- 1st Jun 2018: Prof. Neppolian Bernaurdshaw, SRM Institute of Science and Technology, Seminar 11.30am 30BB03, Sono(Photo)Catalysis: Environmental Redmediation
- 27th Aug 2017: Dr. Colin Scholes, University of Melbourne, Seminar 12 noon 13BB04, Helium separation - potential for membranes
- 14th Aug - 12th Oct 2017: Dr. George Chen (Victoria Fellowship Recipient), University of Melbourne
- 24th Apr-30th Jun 2017: Ms Gaelle Varlet (Erasmus Student), IUT Besancon, France.
- 8th Feb 2017: Prof. Gareth Price, University of Bath, Seminar 12 noon TB14, Chemistry at Ultrasonic Frequencies - using ultrasound to produce new materials.
- 26th Oct 2016: Dr. Chris Price, University of Strathclyde, Seminar 12 noon, TB14, Crystallizing and isolating pharmaceuticals: Addressing some off the remaining challenges.
- 11th Apr-17th Jun: Ms Manon Roberts (Erasmus Student), IUT Besancon France.
- 12-13th Nov 2015: Dr. Ludovic Dumee, University of Deakin, Seminar: 3pm, 21AC03, Nano-porous metal materials - A review
- 2nd Oct 2015: Prof. Sivakumar Manickam, University of Nottingham, Seminar: 11am, 21AC03, Cavitation Technology-A rapid and novel way of generating nanomoaterials and nanoemulsions
- 21-25th Sep 2015: Ms Kezia Kezia (PhD student), University of Melbourne
- 16-17th Apr 2015: Mr Bao Lin (PhD student), Deakin University
Current PhD/MEng students
- Ms Bethany Campbell (PhD)
- Mr Pello Alfonso Muniozguren (PhD)
- Ms Marie Enfrin (PhD)
- Ms Silvia Nalesso (PhD)
- Ms Anna Artemi (PhD)
- Ms Anna Currington (MEng)
- Mr Ben Fowler (MEng)
- Mr Mod Bohari (MEng)
- Ms Nadhirah Muhammad Fithri (MEng)
- Mr Yaseen Mohammed (MEng)
- Mr Tajwarul Huda (MEng)
- Mr Oliver Crossley (PhD)
- Mr Richard Woods (PhD)
Past PhD/MEng Students
- Ms Anna Artemi (MEng 2016/2017)
- Ms Florentia Zorba (MEng 2016/2017)
- Mr Gobind Sian (MEng 2016/2017)
- Mr Bertie Traill (MEng 2016/2017)
- Mr Mohammad Sikandar Rana (MEng 2016/2017)
- Mr Alex Joseph (MEng 2016/2017)
- Mr Sean Wong (MEng, 2015/2016)
- Mr Hugo Currell (MEng, 2015/2016)
- Mr Matthew Prescott (MEng, 2015/2016)
- Mr James Mitchell (MEng, 2015/2016)
- Ms Kezia Kezia (PhD, 2016)
- Mr Junjie (Jack) Jiao (PhD, 2015)
We welcome all inquires from prospective students, PhD students and postdoctoral fellows.
Potential high-calibre applicants that are interested in our research areas are encouraged to consider applying to various scholarships or fellowships. For further information please contact Dr. Judy Lee.
- Mass and Energy Balance (ENG1081)
- Heat Transfer and Laboratories (ENG2121)
- Supervision of MEng and MSc Research Projects
- Year 2 Level Coordinator
- Exam Officer
Courses I teach on
Postgraduate research supervision
Principal PhD Supervisions
Ms. Bethany Campbell (Jul 2018 - ): HTC Process Water treatment for the design and improvement of a renewable fuel production process (60% Funded by Antaco).
Ms. Marie Enfrin (Oct 2017- ): Functional membranes for biofouling remediation and nano/micro plastic removal (50% funded by Deakin University).
Ms. Anna Artemi (Jul 2017- ): The application of osmotically driven membrane processes for the concentration of dairy liquid waste streams.
Mr. Pello Alfonso Muniozguren (Apr 2017- ): Application of advanced oxidation assisted processes for industrial wastewater treatment.
Ms.Silvia Nalesso (Jul 2016- ): Ultrasound stimulated crystallisation of functional materials (Surrey/NPL studentship).
Co-Supervision of PhD students
Mr. Timothy Sidnell (Oct 2018- ): Ultrasonic degradation of Per- and Polyfluoroalkyl Substances.
Mr. Oliver Crossley (Oct 2017- ): Improving HTC for production of high value functional green chemistry materials (50% Funded by Antaco).
Mr. Richard Wood (Jul 2016- ): Parametric Effects on Sonochemical Reactions.
Completed postgraduate research projects I have supervised
PhD (2013 -2016): The removal of trace contaminants from water using reverse osmosis and nanofiltration membranes: Dr. Kezia Kezia
PhD (2011 - 2014): The experimental study and theoretical analysis of cavitation bubble movement and coalescence in ultrasound field: Dr. Junjie (Jack) Jiao
- J. Lee, S.Yang, "Antisolvent sonocrystallisation of sodium chloride and the evaluation of ultrasound energy using modified classical nucleation theory", Crystals, 2018, 8, 320.
- W. Li, F.M. Allioux, J. Lee, M. Ashokkumar, L. F. Dumee, "Ultrasound-assisted fabrication of metal nano-porous shells across polymer beads and their catalytic activity for reduction of 4-nitrophenol", Ultrason. Sonochem. 2018, 49, 63.
- P. Alfonso-Muniozguren, J. Lee, M. Bussemaker, R. Chadeesingh, C. Jones, D. Oakley and D. Saroj, "A combined activated sludge-filtration-ozonation process for abattoir wastewater treatment", J. Water Process Eng. 2018, 25, 157.
- J. Lee, K. Yasui, M. Ashokkumar, S. E. Kentish, "Quantification of cavitation activity by sonoluminescence to study the sonocrystallisation process under different ultrasound parameters", Cryst. Growth Des., 2018, 18, 5180.
- M. Prescott, J. Mitchell, S. Totti, J. Lee, E. Velliou and M. Bussemaker, "Sonodynamic therapy combined with novel anti-cancer agents, sanguinarine and ginger root extract: Synergistic increase in toxicity in presence of PANC-1 cells in vitro", Ultrason. Sonochem. 2018, 40, 72-80.
- R. Wood, J. Lee and M. J. Bussemaker, "A parametric review of sonochemistry: control and augmentation of sonochemical activity in aqueous solutions", Ultrason. Sonochem., 2017, 38, 351-370.
- K. Kezia, J. Lee, B. Zisu, G. Chen, S. L. Gras and S.E. Kentish, " Solubility of calcium phosphate in concentrated dairy effluent brines", J. Agri. Food Chem., 2017, 65, 4027-4034.
- K. Kezia, J. Lee, B. Zisu, M. Weeks, G. Chen, S. Gras and S. Kentish, “Crystallisation of minerals from concentrated saline dairy effluent”, Water Res., 2016, 101, 300-308.
- S. K. Bhangu, M. Ashokkumar, and J. Lee, "Ultrasound assisted crystallization of paracetamol: Crystal size distribution and polymorph control" Cryst. Growth Des., 2016, 16, 1934-1941.
- O. Ojajuni, S. Holder, G. Cavalli, J. Lee, and D. P. Saroj, "Rejection of caffeine and carbamazepine by surface-coated PVDF hollow-fiber membrane system", Ind. Eng. Chem. Res., 2016, 55, 2417-2425.
- L. Hallez, J. Lee, F. Touyeras, A. Nevers, M. Ashokkumar and J., Hihn “Enhancement and quenching of high-intensity focused ultrasound cavitation activity via short frequency sweep range” Ultrason. Sonochem., Ultrason. Sonochem, 2016, 29, 194-197.
- R. Pflieger, J. Lee, S. Nikitenko and M. Ashokkuma, "Influence of He and Ar flowrate and NaCl concentration on the size distribution of bubbles generated by power ultrasound" J. Phys. Chem. B, 2015, 119, 12682-12688.
- K. Kezia, J. Lee, M. Weeks and S. E. Kentish “Direct contact membrane distillation for the concentration of saline dairy effluent”, Water Research, 2015, 81, 167-177
- J. Jiao, Y. He, S. E. Kentish, M. Ashokkumar, R. Manasseh and J. Lee, “Experimental and theoretical analysis of secondary Bjerknes forces between two bubbles in a standing wave”, Ultrasonics, 2015, 58, 35-42.
- J. Jiao, Y. He, K. Yasui, S. E. Kentish, M. Ashokkumar, R. Manasseh and J. Lee, “Influence of acoustic pressure and bubble sizes on the coalescence of two contacting bubbles in an acoustic field”, Ultrason. Sonochem, 2015, 22, 70-77.
- K. Kezia, J. Lee, W. Ogieglo, A. J. Hill, N. E. Benes and S. E. Kentish, “The transport of hydronium and hydroxide ions through reverse osmosis membranes” J. Membrane Sci., 2014, 459, 197-206.
- J. Lee, M. Ashokkumar and S. E. Kentish, “Influence of mixing and ultrasound frequency on antisolvent crystallisation of sodium chloride”, Ultrason. Sonochem, 2014, 21 (1), 60-68.
- J. Jiao, Y. He, T. Leong, S. E. Kentish, M. Ashokkumar, R. Manasseh and J. Lee, “Experimental and theoretical studies on the movements of two bubbles in an acoustic standing wave field”, J. Phys. Chem. B, 2013, 117, 12549-12555.
- K. Kezia, J. Lee, A. J. Hill and S. E. Kentish, “Convective transport of boron through a brackish water reverse osmosis membrane”, J. Membrane Sci., 2013, 445, 160-169.
- J. Lee, A. J. Hill and S. Kentish, “Formation of a thick aromatic polyamide membrane by interfacial polymerisation”, Sep. Purif. Technol., 2013, 104, 276-283.
- L. Dumée, J. Lee, K. Sears, B. Tardy, M. Duke and S. Gray, “Fabrication of thin film composite poly(amide)-carbon-nanotube supported membranes for enhanced performance in osmotically driven desalination systems”, J. Membrane Sci., 2013, 427, 422-430.
- J. Lee, C. M. Doherty, A. J. Hill and S. E. Kentish, “Water vapour sorption and free volume in the aromatic polyamide layer of reverse osmosis membranes”, J. Membrane Sci., 2013, 425-426, 217-226.
- J. Lee, M. Ashokkumar, K. Yasui, T. Tuziuti, T. Kozuka, A. Towata and Y. Iida, “ Development and optimization of acoustic bubble structures at high frequencies”, Ultrason. Sonochem, 2011, 18(1), 92-98.
- A. Towata, J. Lee, K.Yasui, T. Tuziuti, T. Kozuka and Y. Iida, “Fabrication of silver nanoparticles deposited on boehmite sol for surface enhanced Raman scattering”, Appl. Surf. Sci., 2011, 257 (14), 6010-6015.
- B. Zisu, J. Lee, J. Chandrapala, R. Bhaskaracharya, M. Palmer, S. Kentish and M. Ashokkumar “Effect of ultrasound on the physical and functional properties of reconstituted whey protein powders” J. Dairy Res., 2011, 78, 1-8.
- J. Lee, I. U. Vakarelski, K. Yasui, T. Tuziuti, T. Kozuka, A. Towata and Y. Iida, “Variations in the spatial distribution of sonoluminescing bubbles in the presence of an ionic surfactant and electrolyte”, J. Phys. Chem. B, 2010, 114(8), 2572-2577
- M. Ashokkumar, J. Lee, Y. Iida, K. Yasui, T. Kozuka, T. Tuziuti and A. Towata, “Spatial distribution of acoustic cavitation bubbles at different ultrasound frequencies” Chem. Phys. Chem., 2010, 11(8) 1680-1684.
- M. Ashokkumar, R. Bhaskaracharya, S. Kentish, J. Lee, M. Palmer and B. Zisu “The ultrasonic processing of dairy products- An overview” Dairy Sci. Technol., 2010, 90(2-3) 147-168
- Y. Iida, M. Ashokkumar, T. Tuziuti, T. Kozuka, K. Yasui, A. Towata and J. Lee, “Bubble population phenomena in sonochemical reactor: I Estimation of bubble size distribution and its number density with pulsed sonication-laser diffraction method”, Ultrason. Sonochem, 2010, 17, 473-479.
- Y. Iida, M. Ashokkumar, T. Tuziuti, T. Kozuka, K. Yasui, A. Towata and J. Lee, “Bubble population phenomena in sonochemical reactor: II Estimation of bubble size distribution and its number density by simple coalescence model”, Ultrason. Sonochem., 2010, 17(2), 480-486.
- K. Yasui, T. Tuziuti, J. Lee, T. Kozuka, A. Towata and Y. Iida, “Numerical simulations of acoustic cavitation noise with the temporal fluctuation in the number of bubbles”, Ultrason. Sonochem., 2010, 17(2), 460-472.
- T. Kozuka, K. Yasui, S. Hatanaka, T. Tuziuti, J. Lee, and A. Towata, “Study of an acoustic field in a microchannel” Jpn. J. Appl. Phys., 2010, 49, 07HE141-2.
- M. Ashokkumar, J. Lee, Y. Iida, K. Yasui, T. Kozuka, T. Tuziuti and A. Towata, “The Detection and Control of Stable and Transient Acoustic Cavitation bubbles” J. Phys. Chem. Chem. Phys., 2009, 11, 10118-10121.
- M. Ashokkumar, J. Lee, B. Zisu, R. Bhaskaracharya, M. Palmer and S. Kentish “ Sonication Increases the Heat Stability of Whey Proteins” Hot topic in J. Dairy Sci., 2009, 92, 5353-5356.
- Y. Iida and J. Lee, “Protein microbubbles: Ultrasonic fabrication, chemical treatment and their characterization” Materials Integration (Japanese), 2009, 22 (6), 30-34.
- Y. Iida, J. Lee, T. Kozuka, K. Yasui, A. Towata and T. Tuziuti, “Optical cavitation probe using light scattering from bubble clouds”, Ultrason. Sonochem., 2009, 16 (4), 519-524.
- K. Yasui, T. Tuziuti, J. Lee, T. Kozuka, A. Towata and Y. Iida, “Influence of the bubble-bubble interaction on encapsulated microbubbles under ultrasound” J. Acoust. Soc. Am, 2009, 126 (3), 973-982.
- T. Tuziuti, K. Yasui, J. Lee, T. Kozuka, A. Towata and Y. Iida, “Influence of surface active solute on ultrasonic waveform distortion in liquid containing air bubbles” J. Phys. Chem. A., 2009, 113 (31) 8893-8900.
- J. Lee, K. Yasui, T. Tuziuti, T. Kozuka, A. Towata and Y. Iida, “Spatial distribution enhancement of sonoluminescence activity by altering sonication and solution conditions, J. Phys. Chem. B. 2008, 112 (48), 15333-15341
- K. Yasui, T. Tuziuti, J. Lee, T. Kozuka, A. Towata and Y. Iida, “The range of ambient radius for an active bubble in sonoluminescence and sonochemical reactions” J. Chem. Phys., 2008, 128 (18), 184705
- T. Tuziuti, K. Yasui, J. Lee, T. Kozuka, A. Towata and Y. Iida, “Mechanism of enhancement of sonochemical-reaction efficiency by pulsed ultrasound”, J. Phys. Chem. A., 2008, 112 (22), 4875-4878.
- I. U. Vakarelski, J. Lee, R. R. Dagastine, D. Y. C. Chan, G. W. Steven and F. Grieser, “Bubble colloidal AFM probes formed from ultrasonically generated bubbles” Langmuir, 2008, 24 (3), 603-605.
- J. Lee, T. Tuziuti, K. Yasui, S. Kentish, F. Grieser, M. Ashokkumar and Y. Iida, “Influence of surface-active solutes on the coalescence, clustering and fragmentation of acoustic bubbles confined in a microspace” J. Phys. Chem. C, 2007, 111 (51) 19015-19023.
- M. Ashokkumar, J. Lee, S. Kentish and F. Grieser “Bubbles in an ultrasonic field: An overview” Ultrason. Sonochem., 2007, 14(4) 470-475
- J. Lee, S. Kentish, M. Ashokkumar, and F. Grieser “Effect of Alcohols on the Initial Growth of Multibubble Sonoluminescence” J. Phys. Chem. B, 2006, 110 (34), 17282-17285
- S. Kentish, J. Lee, M. Davidson and M. Ashokkumar “The dissolution of a stationary spherical bubble beneath a flat plate” Chem. Eng. Sci., 2006, 61(23), 7697-7705
- J. Lee, S. Kentish and M. Ashokkumar, “The Effect of Surface-Active Solutes on Bubble Coalescence in the Presence of Ultrasound” J. Phys. Chem. B, 2005, 109(11), 5095-5099.
- J. Lee, S. Kentish, T.J. Matula and M. Ashokkumar, “Effect of surfactants on inertial cavitation activity in a pulsed acoustic field” J. Phys. Chem. B, 2005, 109 (35), 16860-16865.
- J. Lee, S. Kentish and M. Ashokkumar "Effect of surfactants on the rate of growth of an air bubble by rectified diffusion" J. Phys. Chem. B, 2005, 109(30), 14595-14598.
- J. Lee, M. Ashokkumar, S. Kentish and F. Grieser “Determination of the Size Distribution of Sonoluminescing Bubbles in a Pulsed Acoustic Field” J. Am. Chem. Soc., 2005, 127 (48), 16810-16811.
- C. M. Doherty, J. I. Mardel, A. J. Hill, J. Lee, G. Q. Chen, S. E. Kentish, H. Ju, J. E. McGrath, W. Xie, G. M. Geise, D. R. Paul and B. D. Freeman, “Dynamic porosity and transport properties of membrane materials”, 244th National Fall Meeting of the American-Chemical-Society, Philadelphia, USA, 19th -23rd August, (2012).
- J. Lee, A. Widjaya, A. Hill and S. Kentish, “Determination of Water Vapor Sorption and Some Transport Parameters for the Aromatic Polyamide Layer of RO Membranes”, AWA Membranes and Desalination Specialty Conference IV, Gold Coast, Australia, 8-10th February (2011), 1-4.
- J. Lee, "Importance of sonication and solution conditions on the acoustic cavitation activity" In: M. Ashokkumar e.d. Handbook of Ultrasonics and Sonochemistry, Springer Science and Business Media, Singapore, 2016, p.137-175.
- M. Ashokkumar, S. Kentish, J. Lee, B. Zisu, P. Martin and M. A. Augustin, "Processing of dairy ingredients by ultrasonication" WO2009/079691 A1