I graduated with an honours degree in Biochemistry from Imperial College, followed by an MSc in Epidemiology & Public Health from London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine, and a PhD in population genetics from King's College London (2002). My professional employment started with post-doctoral training at University College London, followed by academic positions, first as a fellow and then as a senior lecturer at Kings College London. I started my employment as a Reader in Nutritional Genomics at the university of Surrey in November 2012.
My research focuses on the molecular characterisation of the causes, characteristics and consequences of variable disposition and response to B-vitamins and 1-Carbon Metabolism with the over-arching goal of improving primary and secondary prevention and risk-management strategies for common ageing diseases, most notably age-associated cognitive decline and dementia.
I collaborate extensively both nationally (Imperial College, Kings College London, University of Oxford etc) and internationally (University of Oslo, Harvard Medical School, University of Rotterdam etc).
I currently teach on the following modules within the Nutrition and Nutrition and Dietetics BSc degrees:
- Advances in Nutrition: Health & Disease (BMS3067):
- B-vitamins: focus on vitamins B2, B6, B9, B12
- One-carbon metabolism: homocysteine in health & disease
- Fundamentals of Human Nutrition (MNH01):
- B-vitamins - A Primer
- Folate: Homocysteine Metabolism
- Molecular Nutrition (MHN06):
- Fundamentals of Human Genetics
- Vitamins and Gene Expression
- Nutrition and Ageing (NutMed: Module 7):
- Nutritional influences on dementia and AD
- Principles of Applied Nutrition and Epidemiology (NutMed: Module 2):
- Nutrition Research Methodology (MHN05)
I also organise two modules:
- Human Nutrition MSc: Module 5 (MHU05) Nutrition Research Methodology
- Nutritional Medicine MSc: Module 2 - Principles of Applied Nutrition and Epidemiology
- Project coordinator for Nutritional Medicine (MSc)
- Organisation of monthly Journal club
Member of the following societies:
- American Society of Clinical Pharmacology & Therapeutics
- American Society of Nutrition & Nutrigenomics
- Royal Society of Science
- Universities in the Knowledge Society
- Royal Geographic Society
- American Society of Human Genetics
- Cotlarciuc I, Malik R, Holliday EG, Ahmadi KR, et al. Effect of genetic variants associated with plasma homocysteine levels on stroke risk. Stroke. 2014 Jul;45(7):1920-4;
- Ahmadi KR, Andrew T. Opportunism: a panacea for implementation of whole-genome sequencing studies in nutrigenomics research? Genes Nutr. 2014 Mar;9(2):387;
- Bell JT, Loomis AK, Butcher LM, Gao F, et al. Differential methylation of the TRPA1 promoter in pain sensitivity. Nat Commun. 2014;5:2978;
- Andrew T, Gill R, Gillham-Nasenya I, Ahmadi KR. Unravelling the basis of variability in cobalamin levels in the general population. Br J Nutr. 2013 Nov 14;110(9):1672-9;
- Grundberg E, Meduri E, Sandling JK, Hedman AK, et al. Global analysis of DNA methylation variation in adipose tissue from twins reveals links to disease-associated variants in distal regulatory elements. Am J Hum Genet. 2013 Nov 7;93(5):876-90;
- van Meurs JB, Pare G, Schwartz SM, Hazra A, et al & Ahmadi KR. Common genetic loci influencing plasma homocysteine concentrations and their effect on risk of coronary artery disease. Am J Clin Nutr. 2013 Sep;98(3):668-76;
- Rahmioglu N, Heaton J, Clement G, Gill R, Surdulescu G, Zlobecka K, Hodgkiss D, Smith NW, Ahmadi KR. Genome-wide association study reveals a complex genetic architecture underpinning-induced CYP3A4 enzyme activity. Eur J Drug Metab Pharmacokinet. 2013 Mar;38(1):63-7;
- MuTHER consortium. Mapping cis and trans regulatory variants across multiple tissues in twins. Nat Genet. 2012 Sep 2;
- Manning AK, Hivert MF, et al. A genome-wide approach accounting for body mass index identifies genetic variants influencing fasting glycemic traits and insulin resistance. Nat Genet. 2012 May 13;44(6):659-69.
- Bell JT, Tsai PC, Yang TP, Pidsley R, et al. Epigenome-wide scans identify differentially methylated regions for age and age-related phenotypes in a healthy ageing population. PLoS Genet. 2012 Apr;8(4):e1002629.
- Chambers JC, Zhang W, Sehmi J, et al. Genome-wide association study identifies loci influencing concentrations of liver enzymes in plasma. Nat Genet. 2011 Oct 16;43(11):1131-8.
- International Consortium for Blood Pressure Genome-Wide Association Studies. Genetic variants in novel pathways influence blood pressure and cardiovascular disease risk. Nature. 2011 Sep 11;478(7367):103-9.
- Nicholson G, Rantalainen M, Maher AD, Li JV, Malmodin D, Kourosh R. Ahmadi, et al. Human metabolic profiles are stably controlled by genetic and environmental variation. Mol Syst Biol. 2011 Aug 30;7:525.
- Rahmioglu Nilufer, Heaton James, Clement Gail, Gill Raj, Surdulescu Gabriela, Zlobecka Karolina, Hodgkiss Dylan, Ma Yongmin, Hider Robert C, Smith Norman W, and Kourosh R Ahmadi. Genetic Epidemiology of Induced CYP3A4 Activity. Pharmacogenetics & Genomics. 2011 July.
- Ioana Cotlarciuc, Toby Andrew, Tracy Dew, Roy Sherwood, and Kourosh R Ahmadi. The Basis of Interindividual Response to Folic Acid Supplementation. Journal of Nutrigenetics and Nutrigenomics. 2011 May 28;4(2):99-109.
- Small K.S*, Hedman, AK*, Grundberg, E* , Nica, AC, Thorliefsson G, Kong A, Thorsteinsdotter, U, Richards, H, GIANT Consortium, MAGIC Consortium, DIAGRAM Consortium, Kourosh R Ahmadi, Lindgren CM, Stefansson, K, Deloukas P, Demitzakis, ET, Spector TD, McCarthy MI and Muther Consortium. Identification of an imprinted master trans-regulator at the KLF14 locus related to multiple metabolic phenotypes. Nature Genetics. 2011 Jun;43(6):561-564.
- Rahmioglu N, Le Gall G, Heaton J, Kay KL, Smith NW, Colquhoun IJ, Kourosh R Ahmadi* & Kemsley EK*. Prediction of variability in CYP3A4 induction through an integrative 1H NMR/UPLC-MS metabonomics approach. Journal of Proteome Research. 2011 Jun 3;10(6):2807-2816.
- Chambers JC, Zhang W, Lord GM, van der Harst P, Lawlor DA, Sehmi JS, Gale DP, Wass MN, Kourosh R Ahmadi, et al. Genetic loci influencing kidney function and chronic kidney disease. Nat Genet. 2010 May;42(5):373-5.
- Crockford DJ, Maher AD, Kourosh R Ahmadi, Barrett A, Plumb RS, Wilson ID, Nicholson JK. (1)H NMR and UPLC-MS(E) Statistical Heterospectroscopy: Characterization of Drug Metabolites (Xenometabolome) in Epidemiological Studies. Anal Chem. 2008 Aug 14.
- Richards JB, Rivadeneira F, Inouye M, Pastinen TM, Soranzo N, Wilson SG, Andrew T, Falchi M, Gwilliam R, Kourosh R Ahmadi, Valdes AM, Arp P, Whittaker P, Verlaan DJ, Jhamai M, Kumanduri V, Moorhouse M, van Meurs JB, Hofman A, Pols HA, Hart D, Zhai G, Kato BS, Mullin BH, Zhang F, Deloukas P, Uitterlinden AG, Spector TD. Bone mineral density, osteoporosis, and osteoporotic fractures: a genome-wide association study. Lancet 2008.3;371(9623):1505-12.