Dr Muhammad Ahmad, at present, works as a Research Fellow at Advanced Technology Institute (ATI), University of Surrey. In 2014, Dr Ahmad completed his PhD at the same place, ATI. Prior to this, he did M.Sc. Physics from Government College University, Lahore Pakistan followed by M. Phil. from University of the Punjab, Lahore, Pakistan.
Dr Ahmad specialises in CVD growth of carbon nanomaterials. His research has resulted in 7 journal papers, more than 10 conference presentations, one patent and one Cambridge Element.
Main area of Dr Ahmad’s research is CVD growth of high-quality graphene and carbon nanotubes for a range of applications including electronics, IC interconnects, Li-ion battery electrodes, metal overcoats and sensors. His research interests also include growth of Diamond-like Carbon (DLC) films and solution processed graphene oxide (GO). He has expertise in e-beam and photolithography, dry and wet chemical etching, thin film deposition (sputtering and evaporation) and various characterization techniques such as Raman spectroscopy, UV-vis spectroscopy, scanning electron microscopy, atomic force microscopy, electrical characterization, etc.
- Low temperature growth of carbon nanotubes – A review; Muhammad Ahmad, Ravi P. Silva; Carbon (2020) 158 24-44.
- Improvement in the Electrical Properties of Nickel-Plated Steel Using Graphitic Carbon Coatings; Christopher A. Mills, Erdni Batyrev, Maurice J. R. Jansen, Muhammad Ahmad, Tanveerkhan S. Pathan, Elizabeth J. Legge, Digvijay B. Thakur, Samson N. Patole, Daniel J. L. Brett, Paul R. Shearing, Hans van der Weijde, and S. Ravi P. Silva; Adv. Eng. Mater 2019, 1900408.
- Protected Catalyst Growth of Graphene and Carbon Nanotubes. M. Ahmad, J.V. Anguita, C. Ducati, J.D. Carey, S.R.P. Silva. Carbon (2019) 149 71-85.
- Physicochemical Characterization of Reduced Graphene Oxide for Conductive Thin Films. E.J. Legge, M. Ahmad, C.T.G. Smith, B. Brennan, C.A. Mills, V. Stolojan, et al., RSC Advances (2018) 8(65) 37540-37549.
- Ultra-broadband Light Trapping Using Nanotextured Decoupled Graphene Multilayers. José V. Anguita, Muhammad Ahmad, Sajad Haq, Jeremy Allam, S. Ravi P. Silva. Sci. Adv. 2016; 2: e1501238
- High Quality Carbon Nanotubes on Conductive Substrates Grown at Low Temperatures. Muhammad Ahmad, Jose V. Anguita, Vlad Stolojan, Tony Corless, Jeng-Shiung Chen, J. David Carey and S. Ravi P. Silva. Advanced Functional Materials (2015) 25(28) 4419-4429.
- Efficient Coupling of Optical Energy for Rapid Catalyzed Nanomaterial Growth: High-Quality Carbon Nanotube Synthesis at Low Substrate Temperatures. Muhammad Ahmad, Jose V. Anguita, Vlad Stolojan, J. David Carey, and S. Ravi P. Silva. ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces, 2013. 5(9): p. 3861-3866.
- Highly Transmissive Carbon Nanotube Forests Grown at Low Substrate Temperature. José V. Anguita, David C. Cox, Muhammad Ahmad, Y. Y. Tan, Jeremy Allam, and S. Ravi P. Silva. Advanced Functional Materials, 2013, 23, 5502–5509.
1D Semiconducting Nanostructures for Flexible and Large-Area Electronics; Dhayalan Shakthivel, Muhammad Ahmad, Mohammad R. Alenezi, Ravinder Dahiya, S. Ravi P. Silva; Publisher: Cambridge University Press. Online publication date: October 2019. Online ISBN: 9781108642002. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1017/9781108642002
- A method for graphene and carbon nanotube growth. Sembukuttiarachilage Ravi SILVA, Muhammad AHMAD. WO2015189575A1
- Growth and Applications of Carbon Nanotubes at Low Temperature. M. Ahmad, J. Anguita, J.-S. Chen, C. Ducati, V. Stolojan, J. D. Carey, S. Ravi P. Silva. Guadalupe Workshop IX – Spring 2019, Workshop on Single-Walled Carbon Nanotubes and Related Materials, April 15-19, 2019, Fredericksburg Inn & Suites, Fredericksburg, Texas, USA.
- Vertically Aligned Silicon Coated Carbon Nanotubes for Use in Lithium-Ion Cells. Muhammad Ahmad, Asim Mumtaz, Michael Lane, Emma Kendrick, Ravi Silva. AEM2018 (Advanced Energy Materials) 10-12 September 2018, Lecture Theatre Block, University of Surrey, England.
- Carbon nanotube based interconnect vias for Si-CMOS and post Si-CMOS technologies. M. Ahmad, J. V. Anguita, V. Stolojan, J. D. Carey and S. R. P. Silva. EMRS 2013 Spring Meeting, Congress Center in Strasbourg (France), May 27 – 31, 2013, Strasbourg, session I3 – ref. 4.
- Advances in carbon nanotube growth at low substrate temperatures. M. Ahmad, J. V. Anguita, V. Stolojan, J. D. Carey and S. R. P. Silva. E-MRS 2013 Spring Meeting, Congress Center in Strasbourg (France), May 27 – 31, 2013, Strasbourg, session P.IX. – ref. 10.
- Electrical Characterization of Low Temperature Grown High Quality Carbon Nanotubes. Muhammad Ahmad, Jose V. Anguita, Tony Corless, J. David Carey, and S. Ravi P. Silva. NanoteC13, Carbon nanoscience and nanotechnology August 28 – 30, 2013, University of Surrey, Guildford, UK.
- Carbon Nanotube Based VIAS. M. Ahmad, David Carey, Jose, S. R. P. Silva. S2K 2011 - Innovation in Advanced Manufacturing Processes Tuesday 21st & Wednesday 22nd June, 2011, University of Surrey, Guildford, UK.