Yanfei Hu is Lecturer of Sustainable Enterprises at the Surrey Business School. She holds a PhD in Business Administration, an MBA (both from the Ivey Business School, Western University, Canada), and a BA in Economics. Prior to joining the academia, she worked in the media and education sectors, holding positions of business journalist, media group special projects manager, and corporate development director based in Beijing, Shanghai, Hong Kong and Toronto.
Yanfei's areas of expertise include sustainability, strategic management, organisation theory and qualitative research methods.
Her research unpacks social change dynamics using the institutional theory, social movement theory, and the sensemaking perspective. Her projects explore the advancement of human rights, animal rights and veganism in various social contexts, with a focus on strategies and tactics of civil society organizations or entrepreneurs in catalysing radical change. Her other streams of research look into development issues in African mining communities and the dynamics of digital institutional fields. Yanfei uses diverse qualitative research methods including grounded theory, process study and discourse analysis.
- Finalist, Best Paper on Environmental and Social Practices (ESP) 2017, Organization & Management Theory (OMT) Division, Academy of Management (AOM)
- Best Student Paper Award 2015, European Group for Organizational Studies (EGOS)
- Hu Y., Rerup, C, & Zietsma, C. Reflexivity in the “middle”: Conducting large-scale institutional work in repressive contexts. Presented at the Academy of Management (AOM) annual meeting, August 9-13, 2019, Boston.
- Hu Y., Rerup, C, & Zietsma, C. Institutional Interveners and Human Rights Development in Extreme Institutional Environments. Harvard Kennedy School SICI Conference on Rethinking Cross-Sector Social Innovation, April 5-7, 2018, Boston. http://sici.hks.harvard.edu/
- Hu, Y. A longitudinal view of negotiating dual legitimacies during institutional change. European Group of Organization Studies (EGOS) Colloquium, July 5-7, 2018 Tallinn, Estonia. https://www.egosnet.org/home
- Paper presentation. Hu, Y., & Rerup, C. 2017. “Mediating Human Rights-Based Change in an Authoritarian State”. Presented at the Academy of Management (AOM) annual meeting, August 4-8, 2017; this paper is also a Finalist, Best Paper on Environmental and Social Practices (ESP) 2017, Organization & Management Theory (OMT) Division, AOM.
- Hu, Y. “Social Movement Organizing: Robust Action in a Movement-Inhibiting Environment”. Presented at the American Sociological Association (ASA) annual meeting, August 10-15, 2017.
- Hu, Y. “Corporate Social Irresponsibility and Paradoxes of MNC Social Coordination”. Presented at the British Academy of Management (BAM) 2017 Conference, September 5-7, 2017
Postgraduate research supervision
MAN1090 Business Ethics (module leader)
MAN1100 Economics, Business and Sustainability
Placement year tutor
PhD confirmation and viva examination
Peer reviewed article:
Hu, Y., & Rerup, C. 2017. “Mediating Human Rights-Based Change in an Authoritarian State”. Academy of Management Annual Meeting Proceedings (top 10% of conference papers)
Social Movement Organization and Robust Action: Creating a Pre-movement in a Movement-Inhibiting Environment (Examiners: Dr. Tima Bansal, Dr. Charles Jones, Dr. Christine Oliver, Dr. Mark Zbaracki)