Targeting and eligibility criteria
Widening Participation and Outreach works to raise the aspirations and educational attainment of students who are from non-selective state schools and colleges, in Key Stage 2-5 inclusive and who are in one or more of the under-represented groups listed below. A key priority of our work is also to work with colleges to target Mature Learners.
Also below you will find our data protection privacy notices that relate to the groups we work with and collect data from.
- From families where parents are in non-professional households (NS-SEC groups 4-8)
- From low income family (eligible for free school meals in last six years)
- Students from Low Participation Neighbourhoods (LPNs, defined as POLAR quintiles 1 and 2 in HEFCE’s POLAR4* classification)
- From families which have no parental history of participation in Higher Education
- From Black and Minority Ethnic (BME) groups
- Care leavers
- Classified as having a disability
- Young carers
- Students estranged from their families
- Mature learners
- Students from military families
- White males from economically disadvantaged backgrounds (eligible for FSM, from NS-SEC groups 4-8 or live in an LPN)
Gifted and Talented (G&T) students will be required to meet one or more of the above criteria.
* You can check if a student lives in an LPN (POLAR4 Quintile 1 or 2) by using the online Postcode look up tool