Targeting and eligibility criteria
The Widening Participation and Outreach team works to raise the aspirations and educational attainment of students who are from non-selective state schools and colleges, in key stage 2-5 inclusive and who are in one or more of the under-represented groups listed below. A key priority of our work is also to work with colleges to target mature learners.
- Students from Low Participation Neighbourhoods (LPNs, defined as POLAR4 Quintiles 1 and 2 by OfS*
- Students from a low income family (eligible for Free School Meals in last six years)
- Care leavers and students in local authority care
- From families where parents/carers are in non-professional households (NS-SEC groups 4-8)
- Students classified as having a disability
- Young carers
- Refugees and asylum seekers
- Students estranged from their families
- Students who have a parent/carer who has served in the armed forces or reserves
- Students from BME backgrounds
- Students from Gypsy, Roma or Traveller (GRT) communities
- White males from economically disadvantaged backgrounds (eligible for FSM, from NS-SEC 4-8 or live in POLAR4 quintiles 1 or 2).
* You can check if a student lives in an LPN (POLAR4 Quintile 1 or 2) by using the online Postcode look up tool.