Targeting and eligibility criteria
The Widening Participation and Outreach team works to raise the aspirations and educational attainment of students who are from non-selective state schools and colleges, in key stage 2-5 inclusive and who are in one or more of the under-represented groups listed below. A key priority of our work is also to work with colleges to target mature learners.
- From families where parents are in non-professional households (NS-SEC groups 4-8)
- From low income family (eligible for free school meals in last six years)
- Students from Low Participation Neighbourhoods (LPNs, defined as POLAR quintiles 1 and 2 in HEFCE’s POLAR4* classification)
- From families which have no parental history of participation in Higher Education
- From Black and Minority Ethnic (BME) groups
- Care leavers
- Classified as having a disability
- Young carers
- Students estranged from their families
- Mature learners
- Students who have a parent/carer that has served in the armed forces or reserves
- White males from economically disadvantaged backgrounds (eligible for FSM, from NS-SEC groups 4-8 or live in an LPN).
Gifted and Talented (G&T) students will be required to meet one or more of the above criteria.
* You can check if a student lives in an LPN (POLAR4 Quintile 1 or 2) by using the online Postcode look up tool.