Statutory bodies and committees
The governance of the University involves several statutory bodies and committees. These consist of a range of staff members, ex-officio and elected University representatives, and a number of external members.
The Council is the governing body of the University. It meets four times per year and is responsible for the finances, administration, property, management and, subject to the powers of the Senate, has general control over the affairs of the University.
Membership of the Council comprises ex-officio and elected University representatives, together with a number of external members.
The Senate meets four times per year and is the statutory body responsible for governing the University's academic matters, including teaching and research, and the regulation and direction of the education and conduct of students.
The composition of the Senate is drawn from the academic staff of the University, together with a number of ex-officio, elected and co-opted members. The Chair of the Senate is the President and Vice-Chancellor of the University.
The Executive Board is the senior advisory body which assists the Vice-Chancellor in discharging his executive authority to manage the operations and affairs of the University.
It is responsible for advising on all matters relating to the University's strategy and for making recommendations to Council for approval. The Executive Board meets eleven times per year.
The above Bodies are supported by a series of Committees which oversee the activities of distinctive administrative and academic areas of the University:
- Audit and Assurance Committee
- Finance Committee
- Nominations Committee
- Remuneration Committee
- Ethics Committee
- Honorary Degrees Committee
- University Learning and Teaching Committee
- University Research Degrees Committee
- Senate Progression and Conferment Committee
Executive Board sub-Committees
- Academic Promotions Committee
- Capital Planning Committee
- Executive Board IT Committee
- Equality and Diversity Committee
- Estate Committee
- Fees, Bursaries and Scholarships Committee
- Health and Safety Committee
- Human Resources sub-group
- International Relations Executive Group
- Research and Enterprise Committee
- University and Student Union Partnership Committee