Celebrating 30 years of research excellence. Over the past thirty years, we have become an international centre of excellence for training and research in audio and visual machine perception in collaboration with industry.
Celebrating 30 years of research excellence
Our research has pioneered new technologies for the benefit of society and the economy, with applications spanning healthcare, security, entertainment, robotics, autonomous vehicles, communication and audio-visual data analysis.
If you'd like to learn more about what research we are doing then take a look through our anniversary book. You can also download our visual recondition app through the Google Play store which provides access to additional digital content.
Can machines think?
Over the past thirty years, we have become an international centre of excellence for training and research in audio and visual machine perception in collaboration with industry. Our research has pioneered new technologies for the benefit of society and the economy, with applications spanning healthcare, security, entertainment, robotics, autonomous vehicles, communication and audio-visual data analysis.
Today we again ask the question: Can machines think?
A huge thanks to everyone who joined us for our 30th anniversary celebrations - the showcase of our research during the ‘can machines think?’ event on Thursday 4 April and the open house event on Friday 5 April.
We held lots of live demonstrations during our event showing all our exciting research which we have listed below.
Creative - sound
Creative sound works on spatial audio and machine audition, developing audio and signal processing technology related to sound recognition and immersive audio experiences.
- Spatial audio for immersive experience at home
- S3A production tools
- Acoustic room reproduction in virtual reality
- Turning forest virtual reality
- Classifying sounds like a human
- Sound recognition
- Sentimental audio memories demonstrator
- Optimising sensor array performance
Creative - visual
Creative visual focuses on machine perception for creative technologies, specialising in 4D immersive virtual reality (VR) content production, performance capture and video based animation for film and games.
- Live motion capture VR
- Kinch and the double world VR
- 4D boxing VR and sport broadcasting
- Photogrammetry scanning cage
- Sketch search
- Sketch me that shoe!
Healthcare focuses on medical imaging technologies for cancer detection and machine learning in personalised care for better living and healthier aging.
- Technology integrated health management (TIHM) for dementia
- How AI can help you sleep better
- Improving lives through medical imaging
Data addresses the application of AI for audio-visual information search, understanding and preservation including visual recognition, distributed ledger technologies and the understanding of AI.
- Understanding AI systems
- Real-time landmark recognition
- Understanding video semantics
- Real-time fashion analysis
- IoTCrawler: A search engine for the internet of things
Security works on biometrics related technologies, specialising in facial recognition and natural language interfaces for human-AI collaboration.
- Age estimator
- Video face recognition
- Visual object tracking
- Real-time 3D face reconstruction
- Face matching
- Person re-identification using vision and language
Robotics works on autonomous systems, covering a broad range of technologies related to visual human-machine interaction. these include sign language and autonomous vehicles.
- Sign language assessment prototype
- Baxter VR experience
- Event camera
- Surrey autonomous test bed