Top jobs with a chemical engineering degree
Find out how studying for a degree in chemical engineering at Surrey opens the door to a wide range of jobs and careers.
The jobs market
A recent report by Engineering UK stated there is a national shortfall of 69,000 engineers in the UK, which means engineers are in great demand… and that includes chemical engineers.
Chemical engineers work across a range of sectors in the UK and overseas, and they’re increasingly sought by speciality chemical industries that manufacture high-value-added products. They also make a real difference to society by applying science and technology to everyday problems.
Chemical engineers on average earn more than any other engineering discipline and graduates are consistently paid more than chemists and other scientists. The high salaries paid reflect the level of responsibility and the importance that chemical engineering graduates quickly attain.
“I’m back working at the company where I completed my industrial year placement, ExxonMobil… It’s a multinational corporation, so I know it can offer a wealth of opportunities in different countries and departments in the future, which is very exciting.”
Bianca Borg, BEng Chemical Engineering
What Surrey offers
Our BEng degrees in chemical engineering, and chemical and petroleum engineering consistently produce graduates who secure jobs within the chemical, oil and gas sectors.
Our degrees are accredited by the Institution of Chemical Engineers (IChemE) on behalf of the Engineering Council. This means they fulfil the purposes of fully meeting the academic requirement for registration as an Incorporated Engineer and partially meet the requirement for registration as a Chartered Engineer.
At Surrey, our graduate employment record is excellent. This demonstrates the strength of our programmes in preparing undergraduates for the world of work. Our Professional Training Placement programme is undoubtedly a key factor in that exceptional record. Our Personal and Professional Skills programme is another.
“I spent my placement at Mondelēz International in the Global Chocolate Research, Development, Quality and Innovation Process Technology team, which is responsible for discovering and developing new technologies for use in the food industry… After graduation, I returned to Mondelēz, who offered me a job in the same team, this time focusing on modelling and simulation.”
Gareth Coffin, BEng Chemical Engineering
Our graduate success stories
Here are just a few jobs secured by recent graduates:
* Associate at Pricewaterhouse Coopers
* Capital Projects and Engineering Coordinator at Brenntag UK
* Chemical Engineer at Proctor and Gamble
* Graduate Chemical Engineer at Honeywell UOP
* Graduate Consulting Engineer at Automation Logic
* Graduate Process Engineer at Atkins
* Graduate Project Controls Engineer at Wood PLC
* Graduate Project Engineer at Oil Search
* Graduate Trainee at Ware GSK
* Junior Proposals Engineer at Hager and Elsasser
* Pharmacy Technical Supervisor at NHS
* Processing Assistant at Future Biogas
* Process Assistant at Wood PLC
* Process Development Engineer at Johnson Matthey
* Product Development Technician at Johnson Matthey
* Process Development Technology Engineer at Bakkavor Meals
* Process Engineer at Honeywell UOP
* Process Engineer at Inditex
* Process Engineer at Tate & Lyle Sugars
* Production Engineer at AWE
* Risk and Safety Consultant at Amec Foster Wheeler
* Project Manager at Thames Water
* Sales Engineer at Keyence
* Test Analyst at IDBS
* Validation Engineer at Protexin
Further academic study
Many of our graduates go on to complete a masters degree or undertake PhD research, investigating an area of personal interest.