Make an appeal

You can make a formal appeal online or by paper.

How to make an appeal

The first point of contact for any appeals should be the Office of Student Complaints, Appeal and Regulation. The Students’ Union is available to offer advice and support to students for matters involving appeals, complaints and regulations:

  1. Login to Student Self-Service
  2. Select my appeals from the menu.
  3. Go through the relevant stages and submit.

Watch our student appeals e-learning video for a step-by-step guide on how to make your appeal.

If you do not have access to Student Self-Service you should complete an academic appeals form:

Frequently asked questions

You can appeal if you are a current student registered to study for a University of Surrey qualification or the award of its academic credits whether at the University, studying at a distance or at an Associated or Accredited Institution.

No, there are time limits. Section 24 of the regulations for academic appeals (PDF) refers to the maximum time period for when an academic appeal must be submitted to OSCAR. This is no more than 10 working days after being notified of the decision you wish to appeal.

You can appeal for the review of a decision affecting you that has been made by a University of Surrey academic body, or a body at an Associated or Accredited Institution, with authority for making decisions or advising on your progression, assessment and academic awards.

Academic appeals may be formally requested by a student with respect to the following decisions:

  • Progression within a programme or transfer from a programme leading to one award to a programme leading to another award
  • Incorrect credits, incorrectly calculated and/or conferred marks, or degree classification or degree outcome in the case of a doctoral degree
  • Penalising you, including terminating your registration, for failing to make progress
  • Non-recognition of extenuating circumstances following the process for dealing with such circumstances.

Academic appeals can be made on the following grounds when there is independent evidence to show one or more of the following:

  • That staff or bodies have failed to follow regulations and/or procedures or have failed to follow them with due care
  • That staff or bodies have shown bias or prejudice towards the student in the way they have made the relevant academic decision
  • That the student's performance was affected by extenuating circumstances that they could not report at the time for valid reasons
  • That the student’s performance was affected by extenuating circumstances that were reported at the time and relevant new evidence has since become available which has not been taken into account in making the relevant academic decision.

The Students’ Union can provide help and support when preparing your appeal.

We aim to provide you with an outcome within 30 working days.

You can bring a friend or a representative from the Students’ Union to a Panel hearing. You will need to let the Panel Secretary know the name of the person you intend to bring and their relationship to you (i.e. friend, USSU representative) within 3 working days of the Panel hearing. This will be explained to you in a letter sent to you at least 5 working days before you are expected to attend the hearing.

Under the Data Protection Policy (PDF), the University may only share personal data with the consent of the data subject. If in any proceedings in which you are involved, you request access to such data as being relevant to the proceedings, OSCAR will refer you to the Information Compliance team who will advise you of what steps you will need to take.

Your appeal may be dismissed, upheld or partially upheld. If your appeal is partially or completely successful (i.e. upheld or partially upheld), the responsible OSCAR case manager will direct the body or person that took the original decision to amend it in the light of the evidence provided and within 10 working days of notification. If the decision to be amended is that of a board of examiners relating to an award, the amended decision will be reported to the Student Progression and Awards Board (SPAB). Depending on the nature of the decision to be amended, SPAB may take action directly. Decisions relating to postgraduate research students will be referred to the relevant committee. In the interests of fairness to the student, to expedite matters it may be necessary to take chair’s action.