Masoud is the Program Director for Business Analytics MSc. Masoud's research interest lies in the intersection of OR/M&S techniques and sustainable development. Masoud uses Discrete-event and System dynamics simulation techniques and has applied them in the context of healthcare, sustainable development and supply chain management. He is currently investigating reusability of simulation models for sustainable development analysis. Masoud has been managing and participating in several EU and national research projects. Masoud is currently running projects on healthcare simulation and analytics.
Masoud publishes in OR, simulation and operations management journal and conferences. He has also been serving as a reviewer for top-tier journals and conferences in the field of M&S and operations research. He is a member of UK OR Society and Association for Computing Machinery (ACM) - Special Interest Group on Simulation and Modelling (SIGSIM). Masoud is currently supervising two PhD students.
He welcomes PhD queries in operations research, simulation and operations management methodologies (e.g., modelling for sustainability, healthcare simulation, hybrid simulation, supply chain management and sustainable operations management), business intelligence and information systems.
Masoud is teaching a range of Operations Research, Computer Simulation and Business Intelligence modules. He has developed and managed several modules in undergraduate and post graduate levels. He has been a board member across a range of university committees. He is also a fellow of the UK Higher Education Academy (HEA).
He holds a bachelor degree in Industrial Engineering and a master degree in Management. He earned his PhD in “Application of hybrid modelling & simulation (M&S) for sustainable development analysis” at University of Surrey. Masoud joined the University of Surrey in 2014 as a research associate. He worked as a data scientist for an EU project named Open Discovery Space (ODS). He has developed and driven forward impact assessment framework to measure, analyse and report the impact of the ODS eLearning portal on 4000 schools across the Europe. Prior to joining SBS, he held a research associate position for an EU project named CRe-AM at the Department of Computer Science at Brunel University London. Formerly, he has also worked as a green management consultant and project manager in ISGM for several years. He has provided consultancy services on these areas for a range of industries.
Areas of specialism
Modelling and Simulation;
Supply Chain Management
University roles and responsibilities
- Program Director for Business Analytics MSc
- Post Graduate Module Coordinator
- PhD and MSc student supervision
- Dissertation for Business Analytics Program Coordinator
- Professional Training Year (PTY) tutor
- UG and PG students personal tutor
- System Modelling & Simulation
- Sustainable Development
- Operations Research and Operations Management
- Sustainable Supply Chain Management
- Conceptual Modelling
- Information Systems and Business Inteligence
Business Process Management (MANM101) - Postgraduate
Role: Lecturer and Module coordinator
- This module examines the Big Data phenomenon. The module underscores the relationship between operations management on a day-to-day basis and its subsequent usage in modelling and analytics-driven managerial decision making. This module also provides hands-on experience with an enterprise software system (SAP).
Manager Decision Making and Insights - Executive MBA
- This module provides a solid understanding of how managers can make informed decisions that are likely to add value. The module is set firmly in the context of Big Data - the challenge for managers is not in finding information, but understanding information. This module is about working out the things that really matter, differentiating between the interesting and the important, and understanding how complexity can be deciphered to make the right decision.
Operations Management - Undergraduate
- The aim of this module is to provide students with both a theoretical and practical understanding of how operations management fits in with other management functions in today's business environment. It will consider key aspects of operations management in different sectors and will aim to allow students to understand the key challenges facing operations managers today and in the future.
Courses I teach on
Postgraduate research supervision
Mr Oludayo Emmanuel Taiwo
Thesis Title: Motivation in Technology Acceptance and Use: Behavioural Intent, Facilitating Conditions and Effect of Self-Determined behaviour
Completed postgraduate research projects I have supervised
Ms Dimitra Pappa
Phd Thesis: A Reference Framework for collaborative, information-driven pharmacovigilance
- Fakhimi, M., Mustafee, N., Stergioulas, L. (2017) Modelling for sustainable development using the Triple-bottom line: Methods, Challenges and the need for hybrid M&S. 2017 Winter Simulation Conference, December 3-6, Las Vegas, NV, IEEE.
- Giannakis, M., Spanaki, K., Fakhimi, M. (2017) Investigating the effects of Cloud Manufacturing on Supply Chain Responsiveness. The 24th EUROMA conference, Edinburgh, Scotland, UK, July 1-5, 2017.
- Fakhimi, M., Mustafee, N., Stergioulas, L. (2016) An Investigation into Modeling and Simulation Approaches for Sustainable Operations Management. Simulation: Transactions of the SCS Journal. SAGE.
- Fakhimi, M., Mustafee, N. and Stergioulas, L. (2016) Modelling for the Triple-bottom Line: An Investigation of Hybrid Simulation for Sustainable Development Analysis. 2016 Winter Simulation Conference, December 11-14, Washington, D.C.
- Fakhimi, M., Mustafee, N. and Stergioulas, L. (2015) An Investigation of Hybrid Simulation for Modeling Sustainability in Healthcare. Winter Simulation Conference. Huntington Beach, California, USA. December 6-9, 2015.
- Fakhimi, M. and Stergioulas, L. (2015) “A review of modelling and simulation for investigating supply chain sustainability analysis”. 1st International Conference on Agrifood Supply Chain Management & Green Logistics. Halkidiki, Greece. May 27-30, 2015.
- Fakhimi, M., Anagnostou, A., J.E Taylor, S. and Stergioulas, L. (2014) A Hybrid Agent-Based and Discrete-Event Simulation Approach for sustainable strategy planning and Simulation Analytics. Winter Simulation Conference. Savannah, Georgia, USA. December 7-10, 2014.
- Fakhimi, M., Abbasi, M., Stergioulas, L., Xydopoulos, G., Fragkaki, M., Sotiriou, S., Rifon, L. A., Margineanu, R. and Tatrai, F. (2014) Measuring impact of using e-learning portals on educational systems. 8th EDEN Workshop, Oxford, UK. October 27-28, 2014.
- Fakhimi, M., Stergioulas, L., Abbasi, M., Xydopoulos, G., Athanasiades, N., Damigos, M., Kolovou, L., Sofoklis, S., Stracke, C., Anido, L., Fernández, M., Hoel, T., Bissinger, K. and Arnold, C. (2014) “Methodology And Evaluation Framework For Measuring Impact Of An E-Learning Platform”, 6th Edulearn Conference, Barcelona, Spain. July 7 – 9, 2014.
- Stergioulas, L., Abbasi, M., Xydopoulos, G., Fakhimi, M., Margineanu, R., Rifon, L, A. and Manuel Fernández. (2014) “Evaluating e-learning platforms for Schools: Use and usability, user acceptance, and impact on learning”. The 14th IEEE International Conference on Advanced Learning Technologies - ICALT2014. Athens, Greece. July 7-9, 2014.
- Fakhimi, M., Stergioulas, L. (2014) “Application of Hybrid Simulation for Sustainable development Analysis”. 2014 OR Society Simulation Workshop (SW14). Worcestershire, England, UK. 1-2 April 2014.
- Fakhimi, M., Mustafee, N., Stergioulas, L., and Eldabi, T. (2013) “A Review of Literature in modelling approaches for Sustainable Development”. Winter Simulation Conference. Washington D.C. USA. December 8-11, 2013.
- Fakhimi, M. and Probert, J. (2013) Operations Research within UK healthcare – 21st century review, Journal of Enterprise Information Management (JEIM). Volume 26, Issues 1 and 2.
- Fakhimi, M., Mustafee, N., and Probert, J. (2012) “Modelling for Sustainable Success in Healthcare”. Winter Simulation Conference, Berlin, Germany, December 9-12, 2012.
- Fakhimi, M. and Mustafee, N. (2012) “Applications of Operations Research within UK Healthcare Context”. 2012 OR Society Simulation Workshop (SW12). Worcestershire, England, UK. 27-28 March 2012. Pp. 66-82.
- Fakhimi, M. (2010) “Developing a conceptual model for Human Resource Empowerment Process in Iranian service sector”. 11th International Conference on Human Resource Development Research and Practice across the Europe. University of Pecs, Pecs, Hungary. June 2-4, 2010.
- Fakhimi, M. (2010) A Six sigma implementation in healthcare context. Journal of Iranian Foundation for Human Resource Empowerment (IFHRE), Volume 4:25-37.
- Fakhimi, M. (2010) “Application of Six sigma in Iranian healthcare context”. 2nd International Hospital Accreditation Conference, Tehran, Iran. May, 5-6, 2010.
- Fakhimi, M. (2009) “Challenges of developing conceptual model for Human Resource Empowerment Process: HRE Award case study”. 3rd Human Resource Empowerment Conference, Tehran, Iran. December 15-16, 2009.
- Fakhimi, M., Spanaki, K., Anagnostou, A. (2017) IoT and Analytical Practices in Traditional Industries: A view of the Farming and Agricultural Sector. OR59 Annual Conference, Loughborough, England, UK. September 12-14, 2017. UK OR Society.
- Mustafee N, Islam N, Jia J, Fakhimi M. (2017). Innovation Process in 3D Printing Discontinuous Innovation. BAASANA 2017 International Conference. 16th - 18th Aug 2017.
- Fakhimi, M., Mustafee, N., Stergioulas, L. (2017) A Dynamic Multi-Level Approach for Sustainable Development Analysis. Young OR 20 Conference, London, England, UK. April 4-6, 2017. UK OR Society.
- Fakhimi, M., and Mustafee, N and Stergioulas, L. (2016) TBL Modelling: Definition, advantages and challenges. OR58 Annual Conference, University of Portsmouth, Portsmouth, UK. September 6-8, 2016. UK OR Society.
- Fakhimi, M., Mustafee, N., Stergioulas, L. (2015) “Modelling and Simulation for Sustainable Development: A Shift from Normal to Post-Normal Modelling and Simulation Paradigms”. 27th European Conference on Operational Research (EURO 27). Glasgow, Scotland, UK. July 12-15, 2015.
- Fakhimi, M., and Stergioulas, L. (2014) Investigating the Application of Hybrid Simulation Approach for Sustainable Supply Chain Analysis. OR56 Annual Conference, Royal Holloway University of London, Egham, England, UK. September 9-11, 2014. UK OR Society.
16) - Simulation For Sustainable Strategic Planning In Healthcare. OR56 Annual conference, Royal Holloway University of London, Egham, England, UK. September 9-11, 2014. UK OR Society.
- Fakhimi, M., Stergioulas, L. (2013) “Modelling for sustainable supply chain management”. OR55 Annual Conference, University of Exeter, Exeter, England, UK. September 3-5, 2013. UK OR Society.
- Fakhimi, M., Stergioulas, L., Abbasi, M. (2013) “Emerging business models and technology foresight in e-learning context”. 5th Elearning 2.0 International Conference, London, England, UK. 31 July 2013.
- Fakhimi, M., Stergioulas, L., Mustafee, N. (2013) “Changing paradigms towards sustainable operations management: Formulating a sustainability roadmap from strategy to operations”. Young OR 18 Conference, University of Exeter, Exeter, England, UK. April 9-11, 2013. UK OR Society.
- Fakhimi, M., Mustafee, N and Probert, J. (2012) “Simulation for Sustainability in Healthcare: Identifying Gaps in the Literature”. OR54 Annual Conference, University of Edinburgh, Edinburgh, Scotland, UK. September 4-6, 2012. UK OR Society.
- Mustafee, N., Probert, J., Phillips, E.J.G., and Fakhimi, M. (2012) “An electronic resource for the prevention of unfair practice and the preparation of better assignments: A SALT-funded project”. SALT Excellence in Learning & Teaching Conference. Swansea University, Swansea, Wales, UK. 2 July 2012.