Raffaella received the Laurea degree (cum laude) in Telecommunications Engineering and the Ph.D. degree in Electronic and Telecommunications Engineering from the University of Naples Federico II (Naples, Italy), in 2003 and 2007, respectively. In 2006, she received a two-year research grant from the University of Naples Federico II to be spent at the Department of Electronic and Telecommunication Engineering on the topic of electromagnetic field propagation in urban environment. In 2006, she was also a Guest Scientist with the Department of Photogrammetry and Remote Sensing, Technische Universität München (Munich, Germany). In 2008, Raffaella joined the Surrey Space Centre (SSC), University of Surrey (Guildford, U.K.) as a Lecturer in Satellite Remote Sensing. Today she is still in SSC where she leads the Remote Sensing Applications research group. In collaboration with SSTL she looks at and develops potential applications for the data coming from the first UK spaceborne SAR mission NovaSAR-S in the field of maritime security, flooding and vegetation monitoring.
Raffaella has published more than 50 papers and has recently been awarded the IEEE J-STARS Best Paper Award 2013 for her research on statistical analysis of SAR data.
- Microwave remote sensing
- Synthetic Aperture Radar (SAR)
- Scattering models from natural and not natural targets
- Statistical models for SAR images
- Main applications: urban areas, natural disasters (flooding, earthquake, oil spill), vegetation, maritime surveillance
Raffaella has a huge network of international collaborations with universities, space agencies, space and remote sensing companies and non-governmental organizations.
- Satellite Remote Sensing
- Laboratories, Design and Professional Studies I
- Laboratories, Design and Professional Studies II
For her excellence in teaching and keen attitude to introduce new teaching methodologies, Raffaella has been awarded the Teaching with New Technologies (TeNT) Award by University of Surrey in 2008.
- Member of the Student Liaison Committee (SLC)
- Member of the Faculty Research Degrees Committee (FRDC)
- FRDC representative on the Postgraduate Research Student Engagement Forum
- Rep for the Electronic Engineering Library
Raffaella is a member of the IEEE Geoscience and Remote Sensing Society.
Possible work areas and topics
- Urban areas monitoring with high resolution SAR images
- UK forests monitoring with optical, infrared and radar imagery
- Carbon stocks mapping
- SAR polarimetry for land mapping
- Maritime surveillance
- Mines detection with remote sensing imagery
- Remote sensing data fusion over urban areas
- Detection of flooded areas with optical and SAR images
- Detection of damaged urban areas after earthquake in SAR images
- S-band SAR
You hold a first class honours degree in Engineering, Physics or Maths. You have knowledge of Remote Sensing and interest in Earth Observation and Disaster Monitoring, together with familiarity with at least one of the following fields: Electromagnetics, Image Processing, Geographical Information Systems (GIS).Creative and hard-working profiles are particularly encouraged.
Experience with IDL and/or ENVI software is an advantage.
Contact the press team
Phone: +44 (0)1483 684380 / 688914 / 684378
Out-of-hours: +44 (0)7773 479911
Senate House, University of Surrey
Guildford, Surrey GU2 7XH