How to apply
You can apply for a postgraduate taught or postgraduate research course at Surrey using our online application form.
Apply to study one of our postgraduate taught or research degrees directly from the relevant course page:
If you're an international student applying to Surrey, you may need to consider:
Apply for a postgraduate course
To start, go to ‘Apply now’ on the course page, select your mode and study and start date. You can then register for Surrey Self-Service, where you can complete our online application form.
You’ll need to upload some documents as part of your application. The documents we need depend on the course and your circumstances, but usually include:
- Scanned copies of signed/stamped qualifications (certificates or transcripts) to show how you meet, or expect to meet, the entry requirements
- Evidence of your English language level, if English is not your first language
- A copy of your passport, if you need a visa to study here
- A personal statement (for non-research courses)
- A research proposal (for research courses only)
- Contact details of two referees.
Postgraduate research courses
If you'd like to apply for a postgraduate research course, please read our important additional information about applying for research courses and studentship opportunities.
Most of our postgraduate courses have a deadline of 1 August for home or EU applications and 1 July for international applications. We recommend you apply as early as you can.
If a postgraduate course has a different deadline, you'll be able to see this on the relevant course page.
International pathway programmes
International students who do not meet the direct requirements for a postgraduate course have the opportunity to apply for a Pre-Masters Preparation Programme at the University of Surrey International Study Centre. Upon successful completion, you can progress to a degree level course at the University of Surrey.
You can choose one of the following:
- Management, Finance, Hospitality and Tourism Pre-Masters programme
- Engineering Pre-Masters programme
- Health and Medical Sciences Pre-masters programme
Track your application
After you apply you’ll receive an email with details of how to log in to Surrey Self-Service, where you can track the status and outcome of your application. It's important you log in as soon as possible after receiving this email, as we use Surrey Self-Service to communicate with you.
If we need further information from you to assess your application, we'll let you know using Surrey Self-Service.
The University of Surrey can facilitate students transfers between programmes within the University, and from one institution to another. For further details read our information on student transfers.