Discover more about the Department of Music and Media
2nd in the UK
We are ranked 4th for music in the Guardian University Guide 2024
Find a course
Find out more about applying to Surrey.
What our students say
Read our student profiles to discover first-hand what it's like to study with us.
Professional Training placements
All of our undergraduate courses offer an optional Professional Training placement, which involves taking time out of studying to work in industry. You can do a placement here in the UK or you have the option to do your placement abroad.
Recent students have worked in areas such as music management, marketing and music publishing with a host of organisations and companies.
You have the opportunity to acquire international experience as part of your studies, by taking advantage of exchange agreements with our partner universities.
Locations of our partner universities include Australia, South Korea and Hong Kong.
What we have to offer
There are ample opportunities for you to make music whilst you are studying with us, taking advantage of our industry-standard facilities and equipment.
Join current students for a tour of some of the fantastic facilities available when you study at the Department of Music and Media.
Where our graduates are working
Department of Music and Media graduates have gone on to work for a range of companies, including:
- Abbey Road
- Air Studios
- Aquarium Studios
- Arena Television
- Bang & Olufsen
- Beethoven Academy Orchestra
- BBC Concert Orchestra
- BBC Philharmonic
- BBC The Voice
- BMP Recording
- Bonfire Records
- Calrec Audio
- Criterion Games
- CTV Outside Broadcasts
- Dolby Europe
- Dolby Laboratories
- Future Sound Systems
- Gimmel Records
- KPMG UK
- Leeds College of Music
- London Symphony Orchestra
- Nokia Technologies
- Pinewood Group Limited
- Royal Academy of Music
- Royal Opera House
- Royal Scottish National Orchestra
- Sony Music Entertainment
- Southbank Sinfonia
- Spitfire Audio
- Supermassive Games
- Timeline Television
- Warner Bros.TV Production UK Ltd
- Yellow Technology
Scholarships and bursaries
Discover how we may be able to support your studies with a host of bursaries and scholarships directly from the University of Surrey and external providers.
Prizes and awards
We have a series of prizes and awards available for high-performing students and special recognition.
BMus (Hons) Music
- Croser-Hughes Chamber Music Award
- David Lovatt Music Composition Prize
- Graham Smith Memorial Prize
- Humphrey Richardson Taylor Charitable Trust Awards
- Joyce Dixey Award
- Paul Stanway Brass Prize
- Robert Naylor Memorial Prize
- Shoana M Mackay Dissertation Prize
- Niall Squire Prize for Guitar
- Quattro mani: a piano duet competition
BSc (Hons) / BMus (Hons) Music and Sound Recording (Tonmeister)
- Adrian James Acoustics Research Seminar Paper Prize
- AMS-Neve Portfolio Prize
- BMP Location Recording Prize
- Dave Fisher Classical Recording Prize
- Dolby Audio Engineering Prize
- Focusrite Prize for Technical Achievement
- James Whitworth Prize
- Jim Abbiss Pop Recording Prize