Department of Music and Media PhD studentships 2023
The Department of Music and Media is pleased to announce two doctoral studentships for postgraduate research starting in October 2023.
Start date1 October 2023
Funding sourceFaculty of Arts and Social Sciences
Studentships will cover, for three years or pro-rata part-time: full fees (at home or international rate), an annual stipend (c. £17,600), and a training grant for research and development expenses.
Two awards will be made to outstanding postgraduate researchers whose work aligns with research themes of the Department of Music and Media.
- International Guitar Research Centre
- Institute of Sound Recording
- Institute of Austrian and German Music Research
- Digital World Research Centre.
Open to UK or international candidates.
Applications will be assessed on:
- Personal statement
- Educational and professional achievements
- Feasibility and quality of the research proposal
- Fit to the Department of Music and Media and our research centres
- Fit to the proposed supervisory team.
How to apply
Apply to the Music, Sound Recording or Digital Media Arts PhD programmes.
The funding application form (docx) should be completed electronically and returned to Professor Steve Goss (firstname.lastname@example.org). The deadline for applications is 9 December 2022. Late applications will not be accepted. Applicants will also need to apply to the University of Surrey through the PhD programme page, clearly stating that you are applying for the Department of Music and Media doctoral studentships 2023.
Read our studentship FAQs to find out more about applying and funding.
Studentships at Surrey
We have a wide range of studentship opportunities available.