Section of Public Health and Food Security
Learn more about our public health and food security research.
The Public Health arm of the Section includes work on:
- Analysis of nutrition survey data in relation to outcomes
- Iodine deficiency in pregnant women in the UK and the effect on cognitive development in their children
- Effects of selenium status on human health.
This arm includes research on:
- The effect of cell wall polysaccharides on nutrient digestibility; this is relevant to the impact of consumption of plant foods on the risk of cardiovascular and metabolic disease
- Antimicrobial resistance and the antimicrobial efficacy of lactic acid bacteria against Campylobacter
- The feasibility of using lactic acid bacteria as a treatment/vaccine in wildlife against bovine tuberculosis.
Sport and Exercise Science
- Exercise interventions for type-2 diabetes, ageing and prostate cancer
- Exercise, vascular function and chemodynamics
- Effects of exercise and ageing on musculoskeletal health.