Section of Cardiovascular Sciences
Learn more about the highly multidisciplinary and collaborative Section of Cardiovascular Sciences.
Our research encompasses a wide range of overarching disciplines and expertise, including:
- Cell and molecular biology
- Transgenic animal models
- Drug development
- Clinical intervention studies.
Current research interests
- The regulation of blood coagulation and the role the coagulation factors play in normal physiology and pathophysiology of disease
- Gene therapy approaches for cardiovascular disease
- Electrophysiological, structural and molecular mechanisms of cardiac disease
- The mechanisms mediating cardiac arrhythmias
- The role that cardiac fibroblasts play in heart physiology and pathology
- Harnessing the cell/material interactions for the design of tissue engineering solutions
- The role of calcium dependent signalling in the regulation of bladder function
- The role of inflammatory mediators and oxidative stress in bladder ageing and pathology.