Discover the vibrant research community in the School of Biosciences and Medicine. Our activity fully embraces the ‘bench-to-bedside’ concept and extends to the ‘second translation’ or bedside-to-clinical-practice domain.
Explore our research sections, which maximise our research capability by building critical mass in both the size and shape of defined areas of research.
93 per cent of our biosciences, health and veterinary research was rated world leading or internationally excellent in the latest UK Research Excellence Framework (REF 2014).
The REF ranked Surrey eighth out of 94 institutions in the Allied Health Professions, Dentistry, Nursing, and Pharmacy category.
Close links with regional NHS Trusts also help our translational research. For example, we were one of the founding members of Surrey Health Partners, whose goal is to increase multidisciplinary research and education in medicine and healthcare.
Areas of expertise
- Discerning host-pathogen (viruses and bacteria) interactions in health and disease
- Computational approaches to modeling biological systems
- Developing the molecular and physiological bases of circadian rhythms, sleep, immunity and cardiovascular disease
- Defining the nutritional value of micro- and macro-nutrients
- Dissecting the molecular basis of and innovative ways to treat cancer, especially of the prostate
- Improving disease surveillance and health outcome measurements.
Recipient of the Queen’s Anniversary Prize 2017
The Queen’s Anniversary Prize for Higher and Further Education, the highest accolade for any academic institution, has been awarded to the University of Surrey in recognition of its excellence in the field of food and nutrition.