We are very proud of our well resourced learning environment, where students feel safe and supported and where individual needs and abilities are respected.
Education is provided through both interdisciplinary learning, smaller group learning as well as pathway specific sessions. Students are supported by personal tutors and the student voice is valued as part of our education communication and curriculum development.
First class facilities
In April 2019 the School of Health Sciences moved to its new premises on the Surrey Manor Park campus. The new building features:
- Flexible and technologically enabled teaching/study space
- A large active learning space (180 capacity)
- A new clinical simulation centre – consisting of two large wards, an operating theatre, a community flat and ambulance bay
- Self-directed learning lab – a dedicated space for students to learn and practice essential clinical skills
- Virtual environment – two rooms equipped with wall-to-wall immersive projector systems
- Large student study spaces and computer facilities
- A coffee shop and large seated social space in the atrium.
We have a dynamic online virtual learning environment, SurreyLearn, where materials, lectures, classroom materials and chat rooms are used to give students easy access to up-to-date and relevant information.
Simulation is embedded in all our health professional programmes, enhancing student learning. It recreates realistic scenarios for acute and community adult nursing, child nursing, mental health nursing, midwifery, paramedic and operating department practice.
The Surrey Clinical Simulation Centre is used by by all undergraduate students in the School of Health Sciences. Home to the most up-to-date equipment and realistic healthcare environments, the centre benefits from continual investment and development. This ensures that we explore, develop and utilise new equipment and innovative approaches to learning.
The Surrey Clinical Simulation Centre includes:
- Two large modern simulated hospital wards.
- Intensive care unit.
- Operating theatre.
- Ambulance bay.
- Birthing suite.
- Simulated flat with a living room, kitchen, bathroom and stairs.
- Immersive projector set-up - allowing us to create fully interactive, 360-degree learning scenarios that bring complexities of the workplace to a learning safe environment.
- Functioning phone system to allow multi-room and complex communication simulation.
- Resuscitation training simulators with state of the art feedback system.
- High-fidelity patient simulators for adult, babies, children and obstetrics patients.
- Trained actors.
- Video resources produced in-house.
- Experienced simulation teaching and technician staff.